Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Life's not fair. In the case of ERod having success on a future team... don't lose sleep over it

I won't. I don't expect Erod to last in Pittsburgh. I would be shocked if they can develop him into something he wasn't in Buffalo. As I said earlier, I'll sleep well knowing he isn't on this club anymore.

17 minutes ago, I Remember Imlach said:

I hope you're right, but if you are: at 24 he's on his third NHL team in two years and he can't be that expensive.  I'm really wondering why Pittsburgh did this deal.  Unannounced future considerations owed to JBot?

Fulfilling "future considerations" from the Hunwick cap dump, perhaps?

I've been saying for a long time that as long as EROD is on the Sabres they will not be a playoff caliber team. Today puts them one step closer to fielding a roster with more NHL caliber talent.

Now that he's off the team, I couldn't care less about how far the team he's on goes into the playoffs. I find it weird people take things that seriously to get worked up about. Also Pitt is not winning the cup.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I've been saying for a long time that as long as EROD is on the Sabres they will not be a playoff caliber team. Today puts them one step closer to fielding a roster with more NHL caliber talent.

Now that he's off the team, I couldn't care less about how far the team he's on goes into the playoffs. I find it weird people take things that seriously to get worked up about. Also Pitt is not winning the cup.

I wouldn't think it's possible either as they are aging. But if Matt Murray finds his game and never count out Sid and Evgeni, they can make it interesting. And hey, Erod has been a whipping boy on Sabrespace in posts past big time. If you're a member here, you should never be surprised at the things that get people worked up on this site. 

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I have been pretty disappointed in the amount of wishing ill on people, in this thread and the Bogo thread, simply because those people didn't play as well as we wanted.

Don't forget last season and Ryan O'Reilly either. He got it pretty bad on Sabrespace as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

Jbott said he "could play both wings", so it looks like the expectation is for him to play wing, not center.

And they never mentioned the possibility of playing Johansson at C until he showed up between Skinner and Sobotka.

Doubt he plays C his 1st night in the lineup, but expect to see it soon.

Good move so long as Botterill doesn't head into the offseason thinking this is the 2C bridge to Mitts/Cozens being ready. 

Overall I think the deadline will be an interesting case study on the impact of not selling off for picks. If the message of competing for the final playoff spot has value, we should see something here, right? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pens fans are talking like Sullivan didn't like Kahun. I wonder if Ralph will like Kahun. 

Kid played in Germany for four years and Ralph is German? I get the feeling European players really like him, so I'm guessing it'll be a good fit based on my blanket stereotype that Ralph works well with euros

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Good move so long as Botterill doesn't head into the offseason thinking this is the 2C bridge to Mitts/Cozens being ready. 

Overall I think the deadline will be an interesting case study on the impact of not selling off for picks. If the message of competing for the final playoff spot has value, we should see something here, right? 

At a bare minimum we should not see an epic run for the bus in the last 15 games.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

The word you are looking for is nauseated. If you are nauseous - you are making ME sick (i.e. nauseated). 

Apparently I may be doing that to Flagg and perhaps nfreeman. Again, I wish no personal misfortune to Erod, and I know the World is fraught with injustice (as is the sports world) but I just never cared for him as a player and could not understand how he stayed on this roster (and got the money he got!) season after season. But please remember, this guy wanted out of here and with his skill set, to make that kind of demand rubs me the wrong way. O'Reilly was lambasted for the same, but at least, he is a very good player who played well here. 

37 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It’s kind of a head scratcher on why they traded him. One minute he’s playing on the top line, next he is gone. 

It's reading like they have too many of these RFA guys to sign and were going to have to ditch one or two of them, so they did it now in this way because they like Sheary and they think ERod has good analytics. That's the impression I'm getting. Fans liked Kahun and think the GM liked Kahun, but he just wasn't Sullivan's guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

At a bare minimum we should not see an epic run for the bus in the last 15 games.

FWIW, we didn't sell last year did we? We added Montour, kept Pominville. It didn't help anything. Though, they were very obviously lost far before the trade deadline as opposed to this year. 

-------------------------------------

I don't think that the magic of not selling will inspire the players, but I think they're more likely to win with 22/28 still here than whoever their replacements would be, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to keep winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

This seems like a pretty good trade.

1) They get a younger RFA guy who looks like a good 3rd liner.

2) They dump a lot of salary.  That will help minimize the amount of cap hit from this season rolls over into next season.

I like this move more than the Simmonds deal.  I didn’t think Buffalo would be buying anyone, but the results over the past week have pulled them closer to a playoff spot.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but........What can you guys tell me about Kahun?  Does he actually play C?  He has taken like zero faceoffs.

EDIT:  I see that Botts says Kahun is a winger.

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.