Sabres only deadline thread

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So anyone else happy / relieved to see the Sabres actually rejoining the NHL (via baby steps, but at least they're steps) and buying multiple guys at the deadline?

It's like I said in the Simmonds thread, it's a vote of confidence by the brass that might actually reverberate in the locker room. 

• Like (+1) 4

Typical small improvements.. trends mostly towards what Botterill has done with the trades that were made on his terms.

Simmonds provides leadership and help now.  There were a few players thrown around for 5th round picks.

Kahun fits into the longer term.

Just now, LTS said:

Typical small improvements.. trends mostly towards what Botterill has done with the trades that were made on his terms.

Simmonds provides leadership and help now.  There were a few players thrown around for 5th round picks.

Kahun fits into the longer term.

Don’t forget cap savings we needed to help cover the rookie bonuses.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Could have gotten that easy. Don't waste the space on Frolic. 

First whatever reason, Botterill wanted Frolik.  Agree that that's a head scratcher, but it's also water under the bridge.

Considering that the goal today was to help this year's squad with taking nothing away from the future, it looks like a success.

Just now, North Buffalo said:

No, they don't.

Florida acquired him.

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Everybody on our team is a winger

Also, everybody on our team once was a centre.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If this is true, then maybe something to look forward to at the draft, and an indication that Botterill actually recognizes that our team could use some physical presence.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

First whatever reason, Botterill wanted Frolik.  Agree that that's a head scratcher, but it's also water under the bridge.

Considering that the goal today was to help this year's squad with taking nothing away from the future, it looks like a success.

No, they don't.

Florida acquired him.

So much for my twit sources... ill just show myself out.... 

• Haha (+1) 2

My overall thoughts are, I guess okay. Kahun is interesting but we still have a hole at 2c that we did not bother to fill. We still have 4 RHD that should be used to acquire a center. It seems like we did okay but the deadline was meh like it usually is. Simmonds is whatever. Kahun hopefully looks good in his tryout here so we know what we have going forward. 

So Kahun is listed as a C/LW. We have a 1C, 3C, 4C. At least ERod is gone. No 2C but addition by subtraction. That, Sabres fans is called gaming the game for job security if you are a GM. Chances are TPegs sees new names like a child with a new toy and keeps JBot. 

Now watch us go deep into the playoffs making me apologize. 

A good day for the Sabres.  Fla dumped Torcheck, Tor just re-signed Muzzin and Mon traded away players as well.  

Sabres face a tough schedule coming home but they look to be fielding a better squad then they did 24 hours ago and have another nice piece for next year in Kahun.

I wouldn’t mind if they gave him a shot a center to see if he can develop some chemistry with Skinner.

Im also glad they didn’t trade Vesey or any of the D group.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A good day for the Sabres.  Fla dumped Torcheck, Tor just re-signed Muzzin and Mon traded away players as well.  

Sabres face a tough schedule coming home but they look to be fielding a better squad then they did 24 hours ago and have another nice piece for next year in Kahun.

I wouldn’t mind if they gave him a shot a center to see if he can develop some chemistry with Skinner.

Agree.  JBOT added some pieces for a run and didn't lose the locker room in the process.  He showed the guys some confidence..  I got no complaints.

After the deadline the following forwards are UFAS:

Frolik 4.3 M

Simmonds 2.5M

Vesey 2.275M

Girgensons 1.6M

Larsson 1.55 M

I'd only be interested in re-signing Larsson but if I'm him, I'd explore my options in FA.

JNOT has work to do this summer, to replace these guys and also find a a center.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hoping Kahun pans out at C.  But whether he does or doesn't still would like to see them trade some of the D-depth for that elusive 2C.

Especially if Kahun can play C at a 3C level at minimum, by bringing in a true 2C they'll have taken ALL the pressure off Mittelstadt and Cozens for next year.

Eichel, new 2C, Kahun, Larsson (hopefully) with Lazar & Johansson able to fill into an opening due to injury or slump.

THEN if Mitts or Cozens produce next year, it's gravy and (assuming goaltending is also improved) puts them into the playoffs.  Soooo much better than to go into the season NEEDING Mitts, Cozens, & Thompson to produce.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It does seem like the failure to trade Zemgus, Larsson, Vesey or Frolik means that JB is hoping to keep the Sabres pushing hard for the last 25% of the season, innit?

I don't think Larsson or Zemgus would've garnered better than a 3rd-rounder, or that Vesey or Frolik would've garnered more than a 5th-rounder, but even lower picks can be useful assets.  

Moreover, it's likely that all 4 of those guys are going to be elsewhere next season -- so it really presents the question of whether the Sabres were better off getting picks as opposed to keeping those guys for a stretch drive that is pretty unlikely to yield a playoff spot.

We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hoping Kahun pans out at C.  But whether he does or doesn't still would like to see them trade some of the D-depth for that elusive 2C.

Especially if Kahun can play C at a 3C level at minimum, by bringing in a true 2C they'll have taken ALL the pressure off Mittelstadt and Cozens for next year.

Eichel, new 2C, Kahun, Larsson (hopefully) with Lazar & Johansson able to fill into an opening due to injury or slump.

THEN if Mitts or Cozens produce next year, it's gravy and (assuming goaltending is also improved) puts them into the playoffs.  Soooo much better than to go into the season NEEDING Mitts, Cozens, & Thompson to produce.

Of course, if Kahun becomes MoJo 2.0 (solid, but yet another winger), then the draft and July 1st are all about the center spine once more, as opposed to just about the 2C.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

5th round picks are basically meh. I would rather try for the playoffs then get 5th rounders. 

True that.  We have made 16 5th rd picks since 2006 and only Alex Biega (2006) has played in the NHL and not with Buffalo.  Our last 15 5th rd picks have played Zero NHL games.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Of course, if Kahun becomes MoJo 2.0 (solid, but yet another winger), then the draft and July 1st are all about the center spine once more, as opposed to just about the 2C.

And if he is Johansson 2.0, then assuming you've brought in that true 2C which is an absolute necessity and bring back Larsson which should be a necessity you've got 4-5 cracks at having a viable 3C (Johansson, Lazar,  Kohun, & Mittelstadt/ Cozens). Even if it's by committee, they should be able to adequately fill 3C.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.