Sabres only deadline thread

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, ... said:

Someone file this info away for the next time we need to follow people with accurate sources:

Asslesschap?  No idea how you could Google that name and not get 99.9% of something other than hockey.

Edited by Indabuff

So he thought he had a better deal for Trochek, but they decided not to help the team they’re fighting for a playoff spot and went elsewhere.  Interesting 

So what we saw then was Plan B.  The two players I thought would be gone, are gone. Plus a 5th. For a vet and a RFA.  I can’t complain. We didn’t sell off for draft picks. He tried to plug the 2C and was denied. Goalie upgrade wasn’t realistic. 

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

Are you expecting someone to make an unprovable claim of additional games won?  I mean, this seems like something you should know better than to expect.

Just some general expectations; I'm not going to quibble over two points here or there because hockey is so flukey. But if organizational message has real value, you'd think we could approximately hold serve (6 points out), right? If the team shoots/saves crazy percentages (good or bad) over the final 20, obviously the final standings results would be quite a bit different. But if they shoot/save at rates representative of the first 62 games, 4-8 points out would be holding serve, 3 or less an improvement 9 or more the proverbial sprint to the golf course. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Just some general expectations; I'm not going to quibble over two points here or there because hockey is so flukey. But if organizational message has real value, you'd think we could approximately hold serve (6 points out), right? If the team shoots/saves crazy percentages (good or bad) over the final 20, obviously the final standings results would be quite a bit different. But if they shoot/save at rates representative of the first 62 games, 4-8 points out would be holding serve, 3 or less an improvement 9 or more the proverbial sprint to the golf course. 

I'm not sure that is tangible, lol but yes, I expect with the moves today that the team does not falter down the stretch.  If this team does fold, there are problems....

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

Asslesschap?  No idea how you could Google that name and not get 99.9% of something other than hockey.

Come on buff, we all know you've already done an internet search a long time a go for Asslesschap and already know the results.

?

A serious question...

Do chaps come with an arse?

?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Come on buff, we all know you've already done an internet search a long time a go for Asslesschap and already know the results.

?

A serious question...

Do chaps come with an arse?

?

No, no, no, that was Mike Cjeka searching for those particular chaps.

Answer:. Depends on how much you're willing to spend!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Well, we did something and weren't sellers. That's refreshing a little. 

How does everyone rate Botts now after this deadline? Still unhappy, still think he should go, etc etc. 

Do we have confidence he has an off season plan? 

Will let you know when we make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Hi everyone, just joined the site after lurking this year. 

wut.  You lurked here for a year and then you decided to join anyway?

2 hours ago, Marty said:

I’ve been a fan for many years and figured I should occasionally throw in my two cents.

Fair enough.  Some of us to be told what for!

Welcome.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think Jbot did well today but an ideal trade deadline would have been getting a legit 2C.

I disagree.  Acquiring a legit 2C would not have been ideal and here is why:  to do that would have cost one or more major pieces like a Risto or Montour or Larsson or Girgs.  That would disrupt the team too much.  Even with a bonafide 2C, the defense would suddenly be too thin to sustain a playoff push.  Even if they get swept I'd like to see the Sabres get to the playoffs this year.  Fill the 2C position in the off season.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I disagree.  Acquiring a legit 2C would not have been ideal and here is why:  to do that would have cost one or more major pieces like a Risto or Montour or Larsson or Girgs.  That would disrupt the team too much.  Even with a bonafide 2C, the defense would suddenly be too thin to sustain a playoff push.  Even if they get swept I'd like to see the Sabres get to the playoffs this year.  Fill the 2C position in the off season.

It would also likely cost a first. It would be a huge mistake to trade that first without knowing its value pre-lottery. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It would also likely cost a first. It would be a huge mistake to trade that first without knowing its value pre-lottery. 

We could have traded a lottery protected 1st.  

Let’s say that getting a 2C at this deadline was reasonably possible but it would have cost say Miller and a lottery protected first. 
Now lets say given Toronto’s and Florida’s issues that 2C would get us to the playoffs this season.  Pilut can replace Miller without much of a drop in play.  The 1st would then be at best the 16th overall pick.  That player mostly likely would be 2-3 years from making an impact on an NHL roster.  We honestly can’t wait that long for a mid level first to make an impact when we could compete for a playoff spot now.

From a draft perspective, let’s say that the 2C only helps us play meaningful games but we come up just short.  In that scenario the pick moves to 2020 and he is therefore 3-4 years from making an impact. 

I’m not crushed that he didn’t get the 2C, but had been able to find that guy now, the team would have been better off.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

had been able to find that guy now

You're speculating.  You don't what was offered to to JBot, at what cost.  I think to get a true 2C would have cost the Sabres more than Bots wanted to spend.... multiple roster players in key positions (as opposed to a 13th forward and an expiring UFA that never quite produced as we would have liked).  A big purchase would have meant a big price, and for a team on the bubble it would have been too disruptive even if we got our 2C.

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You're speculating.  You don't what was offered to to JBot, at what cost.  I think to get a true 2C would have cost the Sabres more than Bots wanted to spend.... multiple roster players in key positions (as opposed to a 13th forward and an expiring UFA that never quite produced as we would have liked).  A big purchase would have meant a big price, and for a team on the bubble it would have been too disruptive even if we got our 2C.

We are going to have to pay a similar price this off-season.  Ennis maybe the most productive center UFA this summer.  Therefore if we are going to get someone this summer it will have to be in trade.  The cost will be similar to get a productive 30 and under center with reasonable contract terms that can handle the 2C short-term and the 3C after Cozens or Mitts become consistent NHL players.  Because of the cap there maybe more options for Jbot to acquire, but it will cost 2 major assets at the minimum to get such a player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/who-were-the-winners-and-losers-of-the-2020-nhl-trade-deadline

LOSERS

Buffalo Sabres
Yes, the Sabres have played decent hockey lately, winning six out of 10 games. Yes, the Atlantic Division is soft in its middle tier, with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Panthers seemingly competing to see who can hand the other a playoff berth. But despite that, the Sabres remain six points out of a playoff position. It was thus odd to see contradictory behavior from GM Jason Botterill Monday. Trading a 2021 conditional fifth-rounder for Wayne Simmonds was a buyer move. Shipping off Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues for Dominik Kahun had a seller air to it. The price for Simmonds obviously wasn’t much, but why bother at this point? If you’re sitting in limbo at best, he’s not going to put you over the top. The trade felt a bit desperate.

Nice in depth thought.  Not!

Simmonds acquired to give the team a veteran who can help them understand how to play meaningful hockey down the stretch.  If he chips in a few goals even better.

Kahun was brought in because of youth, RFA status, effective play and position flexibility.  

Also save 6.5 mill in cap.  

Players in 18g 33a for 51 pts

Players out 14g 14a for 28 pts

All for the cost of a 5th rd pick.  

Honestly we were a winner today.  Not a Carolina blow it out of the park winner today, but we also aren't ready to compete for a Cup and Waddell is going all in to try to win it.  We won't even notice Sheary and Erod being gone.

• Like (+1) 3

Closing schedule: @ Colorado, @Vegas, @Arizona, @Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, @Montreal, Boston, Carolina

@Carolina, @Florida, Chicago, Rangers, @Montreal, @Islanders, @Minnesota, Washington, @Joisey, Philadelphia

That my friends is a very difficult 20 game close out to the season. Don't see it happening but I am looking forward to them being competitive.

So unless Kahun turns into something more than a bottom 6 forward the tradeline was pretty lackluster from Buffalo ends. Botterill didn't do anything impressive or bad. I'm always on the edge of wanting him gone and hoping he has some plan. This did not do a lot to push me in either direction. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So unless Kahun turns into something more than a bottom 6 forward the tradeline was pretty lackluster from Buffalo ends. Botterill didn't do anything impressive or bad. I'm always on the edge of wanting him gone and hoping he has some plan. This did not do a lot to push me in either direction. 

There’s claims he had a better deal in concept than Carolina did for Trochek but they didn’t bite. It’s not like he’s unaware. 

Selling Larry and Girgs would have been the bad thing to do and he didn’t do that. 

Edited by triumph_communes

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This was not the year and time to invest in a legitimate 2C. Further there probably wasn't one available that didn't have question marks as to his value. Now I do look forward to draft and off season to see if Botterill can piece together a playoff roster. If he doesn't it's his last chance in my opnion. Frankly, I'm happy with the moves and happier yet with the non moves.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

save 6.5 mill in cap.  

Players in 18g 33a for 51 pts

Players out 14g 14a for 28 pts

All for the cost of a 5th rd pick.

The numbers say it all:  we're a better team. 

After swing-and-miss Murray, I like incremental improvement Jason.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.