Sabres only deadline thread

GASabresIUFAN

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The WGR guys angered me today at 3 PM. The one guy ranted about being realistic and acquiring assets for anything that was a UFA; not trading Risto for anything(he has some kind of vendetta against him) and feels we should of just packed it in. Not to mention his usual over reliance on analytics being the only form of information worth using and leadership or morale being myths.

What we did today was actually get a tiny bit better without trading anything valuable. At minimum it gives players like Eichel at least something to look at and say at least Botts did something for a playoff run versus selling or sitting on his hands.

Just the psychological effect of bringing Simmonds and Kahun in will give them some amount of purpose for these last 20 games. Playoffs or not, I want them to play hard and make playing them Hell. If we sneak in, all the better.

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Their angst was definitely not in tune with what I was feeling about today

You guys live in Buffalo, not me, so maybe what they serve is reflective of their audience.

I said it in another thread, but listening to Schopp in particular talk about the Sabres is like listening to a guy talk about his ex-wife.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

at least Botts did something for a playoff run versus selling or sitting on his hands.

It's interesting to think that maybe going from seller to buyer at the deadline is a continuum.  We're not sellers anymore but we're not all-in buyers yet either.  However I do like to think the needle moved this year to something like buyers.  Progress.  ?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if old Wayne can bump a few in off his ass on Eichel's wing?

It will never happen, but how about:

Olofsson Eichel Simmonds

Skinner Reinhart Kahun

Vesey Lazar Mojo

Mo Larry Curly

I can't see Simmonds playing first line minutes.

I think he's good for 12 mins a game and Risto's spot on the PP.

2 hours ago, ... said:

The WGR guys don't seem impressed. And what happened to Ham Sammich? Seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth.

One of them today said they would have added Mittelstadt in a package to get Trocheck...

They're just angry, bitter guys who want results immediately. Which is fine if you're a fan, it's annoying when you're a radio host and you take it out on your callers, listeners, and propose absurd trades.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You guys live in Buffalo, not me, so maybe what they serve is reflective of their audience.

I said it in another thread, but listening to Schopp in particular talk about the Sabres is like listening to a guy talk about his ex-wife.

This is a fair point. They're talking to the fans booing after normal first periods, creating ugly scenes at KBC while I sat in my seat cringing and wishing they'd stop

Frolik, Vesey, Sheary, Rodrigues. Two of these guys were moved. Two will likely walk, though there's a small chance Vesey stays. That's acceptable for me, ESPECIALLY when the two get moved for a young RFA player that seems to be decent, rather than mid round picks. 

Honestly pretty close to an ideal realistic trade deadline outcome 

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if old Wayne can bump a few in off his ass on Eichel's wing?

It will never happen, but how about:

Olofsson Eichel Simmonds

Skinner Reinhart Kahun

Vesey Lazar Mojo

Mo Larry Curly

I wouldn't mind seeing if this can work but I doubt it.  Maybe some Jack double shifting down the stretch?

I think Kreuger will likely try to put Simmons in Sobotka's original spot (with Johanson and Skinner) but will switch it up quickly based on results.

Kahun Lazar Vesey to start with although Kahun might take Girgensens spot. the way Okposo's been playing that's really our 2nd line.  Not sure where Frolik goes. Probably initial man out.  

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Posted this in a trade thread, but probably more appropriate here: if the messaging from the top truly matters, we should see commensurate on ice results, right? 

That's the hope. Is that how it works leading teams of people? If you know, you should write a book.

54 minutes ago, ... said:

That's the hope. Is that how it works leading teams of people? If you know, you should write a book.

I just feel I've read enough about culture and expectations of winning needing to come from the organization that something tangible should come of it. 

51 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW

48 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm glad they

a.) inquired
b.) didn't go further than what Carolina got him for 

I wonder if it was just Tallon doing the old school thing and not trading within the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi everyone, just joined the site after lurking this year.  I’ve been a fan for many years and figured I should occasionally throw in my two cents. Followed the deadline deals and have to say I like both trades.  Pittsburgh must think Sheary can revert to his old form from Penguin days, otherwise can’t understand why they’d make this trade today.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Hi everyone, just joined the site after lurking this year.  I’ve been a fan for many years and figured I should occasionally throw in my two cents. Followed the deadline deals and have to say I like both trades.  Pittsburgh must think Sheary can revert to his old form from Penguin days, otherwise can’t understand why they’d make this trade today.  

Welcome Marty

11 minutes ago, Marty said:

Welcome Marty,  I thought you were an terrific goalie back in the day.

I agree, I have no idea why they made the trade other then Erod and Sheary can walk at season's end and they didn't want to pony up the cash to re-sign Kahun with McCann to re-sign and being close to 80 mill in returning contracts.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Someone file this info away for the next time we need to follow people with accurate sources:

What no Eklund?

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Frolik, Vesey, Sheary, Rodrigues. Two of these guys were moved. Two will likely walk, though there's a small chance Vesey stays. That's acceptable for me, ESPECIALLY when the two get moved for a young RFA player that seems to be decent, rather than mid round picks. 

I think Jbot did well today but an ideal trade deadline would have been getting a legit 2C.

16 minutes ago, Marty said:

Welcome, Marty, you truly belong with us here among the clouds.

Apparently, Pitt wanted a safe move and to rekindle some past glory with Sheary --- except of course Sheary was down to the 4th line by the time they ditched him to us. I think @GASabresIUFAN has it in that they knew they couldn't re-sign him over the summer, so they got Sheary for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm getting vibes that they like Vesey and will try to re-sign him.

That doesn't fit with the "greedy SOB" image the fans painted for him when he didn't sign here the first time, or the general way he's perceived on the board, but I feel like Ralph likes his versatility and JBot thinks he has more offence to offer. His season isn't going to lead to big contract elsewhere.

As I said elsewhere, Sheary and ERod were my two least favourite pieces and I would have been dumping them in favour of Thompson and Asplund next season anyway. And I hoped and kinda expected JBot to try and add a youngish NHLer that popped loose for contract reasons.

And we kept Larry and Z, so I'd tend to agree.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't mind seeing if this can work but I doubt it.  Maybe some Jack double shifting down the stretch?

I think Kreuger will likely try to put Simmons in Sobotka's original spot (with Johanson and Skinner) but will switch it up quickly based on results.

Kahun Lazar Vesey to start with although Kahun might take Girgensens spot. the way Okposo's been playing that's really our 2nd line.  Not sure where Frolik goes. Probably initial man out.  

I can't see Simmonds Mojo Skinner because I can't see Ralph trusting the group defensively.

More likely he slides in opposite Vesey.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I just feel I've read enough about culture and expectations of winning needing to come from the organization that something tangible should come of it.

Are you expecting someone to make an unprovable claim of additional games won?  I mean, this seems like something you should know better than to expect.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Are you expecting someone to make an unprovable claim of additional games won?  I mean, this seems like something you should know better than to expect.

I hereby proclaim from this day forth, that every day Richard Simmons...……...errrr………...Wayne Simmonds is on the Sabres roster, every victory shall hence forth be known as a "Cultural Victory"...………….

I hope this helps ?

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW

Interesting.  So they did take a real swing at a 2C. 

I agree that old-school Tallon may not have wanted to trade him in the division unless the Sabres' offer was substantially better than Carolina's.

Too bad.  That would've made for an exciting day.

35 minutes ago, Marty said:

Welcome Marty!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.