Sabres only deadline thread

GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It does seem like the failure to trade Zemgus, Larsson, Vesey or Frolik means that JB is hoping to keep the Sabres pushing hard for the last 25% of the season, innit?

I don't think Larsson or Zemgus would've garnered better than a 3rd-rounder, or that Vesey or Frolik would've garnered more than a 5th-rounder, but even lower picks can be useful assets.  

Moreover, it's likely that all 4 of those guys are going to be elsewhere next season -- so it really presents the question of whether the Sabres were better off getting picks as opposed to keeping those guys for a stretch drive that is pretty unlikely to yield a playoff spot.

We'll see.

Maybe Larsson and Zemgus want to stay and a deal is alread set in place ? 

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Is it a failure to or a decision not to?

Mixture of both probably.  Offers not big enough and the GLO lines’ excellent play.  If they play like this for he rest of the year odds we make the playoffs increase and so does Jbot’s willingness to re-sign Z and Larsson.

I woke up today thinking we'd trade away some of our UFAs for 2021 mid-round picks, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

I give Botteril a B+ for simply not tying his shoes together and falling over.

This next run of games are crucial. My gut says we'll shoot ourselves in the foot and drop the next three, but, maybe we can get some Krueger magic, or maybe Skinner can not go another 20 goalless games and maybe we keep things interesting into March.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

So do our new lines look like:

Oloffson-Eichel-Reinhart

Skinner/Johansson/Kahun

Vesey/Lazar/Simmonds

Girgs/Larsson/Okposo

Thoughts? 

That (barring possibly flipping Johansson and Kahun) is probably their best permutation.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Skinner and Vesey flipped.  That's where they've been the past few nights.

56 minutes ago, ... said:

The WGR guys don't seem impressed. And what happened to Ham Sammich? Seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth.

The WGR guys angered me today at 3 PM. The one guy ranted about being realistic and acquiring assets for anything that was a UFA; not trading Risto for anything(he has some kind of vendetta against him) and feels we should of just packed it in. Not to mention his usual over reliance on analytics being the only form of information worth using and leadership or morale being myths.

What we did today was actually get a tiny bit better without trading anything valuable. At minimum it gives players like Eichel at least something to look at and say at least Botts did something for a playoff run versus selling or sitting on his hands.

Just the psychological effect of bringing Simmonds and Kahun in will give them some amount of purpose for these last 20 games. Playoffs or not, I want them to play hard and make playing them Hell. If we sneak in, all the better.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, thewookie1 said:

The WGR guys angered me today at 3 PM. The one guy ranted about being realistic and acquiring assets for anything that was a UFA; not trading Risto for anything(he has some kind of vendetta against him) and feels we should of just packed it in. Not to mention his usual over reliance on analytics being the only form of information worth using and leadership or morale being myths.

What we did today was actually get a tiny bit better without trading anything valuable. At minimum it gives players like Eichel at least something to look at and say at least Botts did something for a playoff run versus selling or sitting on his hands.

Just the psychological effect of bringing Simmonds and Kahun in will give them some amount of purpose for these last 20 games. Playoffs or not, I want them to play hard and make playing them Hell. If we sneak in, all the better.

Their angst was definitely not in tune with what I was feeling about today

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

For the record, I don't think there's any chance this team makes the playoffs. But I appreciate that they're being given the opportunity to try.

Posted this in a trade thread, but probably more appropriate here: if the messaging from the top truly matters, we should see commensurate on ice results, right? 

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That looks pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if it shook out that way 

Will these guys be ready to go in Colorado on Wednesday? 

Why wouldn't they?  No immigration issues this time.  I heard talk of Kahun having day-to-day injury issues; is he ready to go?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.