Sabres only deadline thread

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just looked at our schedule vs Toronto’s the rest of the way. Toronto has 6 games against the bottom of the NHL standings to our 1.  It’s going to be hard to catch them, but at least it will be fun trying.

Well, if the opposing team keeps playing a Zamboni driver goalie… stranger things have happened. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Swapping out Erod for Simmonds is like swapping out tea cups on the Titanic while it sinks. No one cares that your teacup is dirty Margaret.

Unless he REALLY surprises us, Botterill isn'tmaking that big move to upgrade the 2nd line.  

Effectively swapping out Rodrigues for Simmonds at least takes something they have excess of (small, not particularly skilled Fs) and brings back something they lack (big, gritty player).  Sadly that big gritty player is also low skilled at this point in his career.  But at least now every single player on the non-Eichel & Larsson lines is no longer completely interchangeable.

So Jbot has terminated Bogo, dumped two underperforming wingers while saving 6.5 mill in cap while adding a young center under control and veteran winger with a jam who can help on the PP all for a 5th rd pick.

This cap savings helps insure that we have cap room to pay VO’s, Joker’s and Dahlin’s bonuses with out losing cap next year to cover them.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

It feels like he can take on some kind of cap dump at this point... my optimism says he's working something with Carolina.  But to give up the D they need, does it make the Sabres weaker overall for a playoff run.. which, is why he would get Simmonds.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really surprised we still have Vesey. Given he spurned us the first time around and his marginal success here, I'd be pretty surprised if we resigned him, and I bet some contender would like him

If they would like him for a sixth round pick? I'm sure we're willing to trade him  If a team really likes him.

Edited by Radar

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It seems like this needs to be said. They aren’t dumping $6.5 million, they are dumping the prorated amount of this. It’s still important relative to next years cap, but....,,

Yep, as mentioned in one of the other trade threads, if they don't make any more moves they can now afford to pay PART of the rookie bonuses they'll owe out of this year's cap rather than next year's cap.  (Haven't looked at exactly where they're at capwise now, but with losing Bogosian's hit and now reducing both Sheary's and Rodrigues'; believe they are finally below the actual cap and can start banking cap towards bonuses.)

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really surprised we still have Vesey. Given he spurned us the first time around and his marginal success here, I'd be pretty surprised if we resigned him, and I bet some contender would like him

Krueger likes his defensive play (thus why he spent most of the 3rd yesterday on Eichel's line rather than Olofsson) and they'll need guys that are defensively responsible in the a playoff run.  (Quixotic as the run may be.)  They'll have to actually win a trade to be willing to send him out the door today.

Just now, Taro T said:

Krueger likes his defensive play (thus why he spent most of the 3rd yesterday on Eichel's line rather than Olofsson) and they'll need guys that are defensively responsible in the a playoff run.  (Quixotic as the run may be.)  They'll have to actually win a trade to be willing to send him out the door today.

His defense looks as if it has gotten a lot better

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.