Trade: Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for a Conditional 2021 5th

Brawndo

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

I'm excited to see this guy.  He's put up nice numbers over his career.  I'd extend him if he shows something.  We really need some toughness.  I'm surprised most are kind of eh on him.

Comparing him to what he was 4 years ago ... it’s reasonable to be ... Meh. 
However, if he signs a two or three year/2.5 mil. per ... I’d jump on that. But that’s about the max I’d go. No matter how many checks and amount of grit he has.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Comparing him to what he was 4 years ago ... it’s reasonable to be ... Meh. 
However, if he signs a two or three year/2.5 mil. per ... I’d jump on that. But that’s about the max I’d go. No matter how many checks and amount of grit he has.

24 goals in 2018 and 31 in 2017 is to me recent enough to think he can still be a 40 - 50 point player with good goals output.  Heck he had 17 in 2019.  We're in massive need for that kind of production with the bonus of toughness.

I guess I just don't know him today vs at his best enough to say he wouldn't be a significant player to extend.  I like his age and experience and always felt we need a couple older grizzled players.

Seriously, tell me more about why you as a much more knowledgeable fan than I see this different.

Edited by 7+6=13

9 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

24 goals in 2018 and 31 in 2017 is to me recent enough to think he can still be a 40 - 50 point player with good goals output.  Heck he had 17 in 2019.  We're in massive need for that kind of production with the bonus of toughness.

I guess I just don't know him today vs at his best enough to say he wouldn't be a significant player to extend.  I like his age and experience and always felt we need a couple older grizzled players.

Seriously, tell me more about why you as a much more knowledgeable fan than I see this different.

Well, if you haven’t already, just read thru this thread. Many of us have already expressed our concerns. Ignore the dramatic over the top posts (you’ll see some) and focus on the reasonable even tempered comments, criticisms, and compliments most fans have expressed. 

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Simmonds has seriously slowed down over the past 3ish years, with his play consistently declining.  It seems like his bruising style of play is really catching up with him physically.

If he could be counted on maintain his current level of play and be a 10-15 goal 3rd liner/PP net front guy with good leadership, I would resign him in a heartbeat.  The problem is that he may decline further, quickly.  He doesn’t have much farther to decline before he reaches a “not NHL quality” level.  I don’t want to be on the hook for a couple seasons of $3-4M for a guy can’t even be effective in the league anymore.  That’s where Simmonds is trending towards.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Simmonds has seriously slowed down over the past 3ish years, with his play consistently declining.  It seems like his bruising style of play is really catching up with him physically.

If he could be counted on maintain his current level of play and be a 10-15 goal 3rd liner/PP net front guy with good leadership, I would resign him in a heartbeat.  The problem is that he may decline further, quickly.  He doesn’t have much farther to decline before he reaches a “not NHL quality” level.  I don’t want to be on the hook for a couple seasons of $3-4M for a guy can’t even be effective in the league anymore.  That’s where Simmonds is trending towards.

IF Botterill re-signs Larsson & Girgensons & finds a way to trade for the elusive 2C, there isn't room on next year's roster for him (unless something happens which causes Okposo to effectively retire).

They'll be bringing back Eichel, Olofsson, Reinhart, Skinner, Johansson, Kahun, Lazar, and Okpiso.  Tye 3 mentioned above brings them to 11 F's.  Even if Lazar or Okposo is the 13th forward, that still only leaves room for 2 additional F's and they are going to give Asplund, Cozens, Mittelstadt, & Thompson legit chances to earn those 2 spots.

Truly believe Botterill WILL trade for a 2C this off-season.  Not positive he'll bring in the right one, but fully expect he'll bring a new guy to pencil in.

Doubt Vesey is back either next year unless Girgensons isn't re-signed even though they like him as well.  Just not room for him.

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF Botterill re-signs Larsson & Girgensons & finds a way to trade for the elusive 2C, there isn't room on next year's roster for him (unless something happens which causes Okposo to effectively retire).

They'll be bringing back Eichel, Olofsson, Reinhart, Skinner, Johansson, Kahun, Lazar, and Okpiso.  Tye 3 mentioned above brings them to 11 F's.  Even if Lazar or Okposo is the 13th forward, that still only leaves room for 2 additional F's and they are going to give Asplund, Cozens, Mittelstadt, & Thompson legit chances to earn those 2 spots.

Truly believe Botterill WILL trade for a 2C this off-season.  Not positive he'll bring in the right one, but fully expect he'll bring a new guy to pencil in.

Doubt Vesey is back either next year unless Girgensons isn't re-signed even though they like him as well.  Just not room for him.

I keep trying to find the worst idea for a veteran 2c because that is who we will get. Like we will sign Brassard to a 3year deal or something. 

13 hours ago, shrader said:

Any self respecting establishment in Buffalo selling those abominations needs to shut down immediately. 

They can sell them as long as they call them what they are...chicken nuggets.  Some of them are delicious.  But they're not wings.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They can sell them as long as they call them what they are...chicken nuggets.  Some of them are delicious.  But they're not wings.

Exactly.  Just drop the "boneless wing" charade and don't try to process them so that they're the same size as a wing.  Actually, I just assume that's what they do because I have never felt even the slightest desire to order those things.  Does any place that isn't a buffalo wild wings style chain even have them on a menu?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Exactly.  Just drop the "boneless wing" charade and don't try to process them so that they're the same size as a wing.  Actually, I just assume that's what they do because I have never felt even the slightest desire to order those things.  Does any place that isn't a buffalo wild wings style chain even have them on a menu?

Oh quite a few places do.  La Nova for example.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Actually, many pizza places have them. I'm not a fan and also consider them "nuggets".

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I keep trying to find the worst idea for a veteran 2c because that is who we will get. Like we will sign Brassard to a 3year deal or something. 

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Joe Thornton

It's definitely going to be Kyle Turris and his 6 million dollar cap hit through 2023-2024 

(Full disclosure - he may have gotten better this year, he was just bad last year) 

11 hours ago, shrader said:

7/11 used to sell these boneless fatty ‘ winglike ‘ things and they were absolutely disgusting .

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

7/11 used to sell these boneless fatty ‘ winglike ‘ things and they were absolutely disgusting .

They still do, at least in some Rochester locations. 

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

Well yeah... it’s 7/11. Any place where their pride and joy is the roller dog, that’s not a place where you should be buying hot food. 

The taquitos are always a fun dice roll, if you’re hungry enough. 

54 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

nader_return_banner_635x332-640x400.jpg

Not Simmonds fault that Skinner can't (or won't) pass the puck. Last (Skinner) goal doesn't happen without Simmonds in front. He's slow, but he's thrown some hits and we really haven't used him properly yet. He's no savior for sure, but I do think we need a guy like him on the roster. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.