Trade: Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for a Conditional 2021 5th

Brawndo

4 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Keep Johansson, waive Hammond, buyout Hutton.  Claim whomever is put on waivers for a roster spot this afternoon.  Problem solved.  Hutton is another cheap fix that didn't work.  I was one who was hopeful when we got him on the cheap, but he is garbage. 

As the old saying goes, " You get what you pay for".

29 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The next 20 games are their playoffs.   

Make it or not, it's good experience to be playing for something this time of year.

They call it playing meaningful games. We need 11-12 wins down the stretch to make this season ultimately meaningful in the progression of the franchise.

I think there is close to zero possibility that Simmonds is re-signed.

But he is reasonably likely to add more value down the stretch than Sheary or ERod would've.

I also think this was a low-cost way for JB to add a bit of leadership and grit and, in combination with keeping Zemgus and Larsson, send a message to the room that he's willing to invest in their playoff chase.

So I'm fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think there is close to zero possibility that Simmonds is re-signed.

But he is reasonably likely to add more value down the stretch than Sheary or ERod would've.

I also think this was a low-cost way for JB to add a bit of leadership and grit and, in combination with keeping Zemgus and Larsson, send a message to the room that he's willing to invest in their playoff chase.

So I'm fine with it.

I’m not convinced he’ll add more value than Sheary.  Erod, sure.  Even if he sits more than he plays he’ll bring something we don’t have when he does play.  Erod is a lesser Sheary.  We won’t miss him.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wasn't alive for the Super Bowls, but everyone I talk to resents Marv for constantly being outcoached in them and failing to win a super bowl with those absurdly talented rosters

No.

Marv MIGHT have been outcoached by Parcells and Belichik -- 2 HOF coaches -- in the Bills' 1st SB vs the Giants, but the Giants of that era were a great team and the Bills shot themselves in the foot by going out every night until 4:00 AM that week and then dropping some passes and missing a FG at the end.

They were mowed down by superior opponents in the other 3 SBs.  And they were beating Dallas -- a team that won 3 SBs in 4 years -- at the half in the 4th one (at a game I attended, btw), with the ball to start the 2nd half, before Thurman fumbled and Dallas ran it in to take the lead.

Their real undoing in that era was subpar interior defense.

Marv was a great coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

No.

Marv MIGHT have been outcoached by Parcells and Belichik -- 2 HOF coaches -- in the Bills' 1st SB vs the Giants, but the Giants of that era were a great team and the Bills shot themselves in the foot by going out every night until 4:00 AM that week and then dropping some passes and missing a FG at the end.

They were mowed down by superior opponents in the other 3 SBs.  And they were beating Dallas -- a team that won 3 SBs in 4 years -- at the half in the 4th one (at a game I attended, btw), with the ball to start the 2nd half, before Thurman fumbled and Dallas ran it in to take the lead.

Their real undoing in that era was subpar interior defense.

Marv was a great coach.

That wasn't a subjective claim, literally everyone I talk to about it in my family and among friends who are older resents Marv for those reasons lol

I am not saying they are right or wrong, I am just refusing to go along with PA in this struggle

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That wasn't a subjective claim, literally everyone I talk to about it in my family and among friends who are older resents Marv for those reasons lol

I am not saying they are right or wrong, I am just refusing to go along with PA in this struggle

I had the same sentiment back in the day. Today... whatever. It was what it was. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.