Miracle On Ice

bob_sauve28

I was standing in a bar, in Cortland, NY, late that night.   We knew the final score and the place was hoppin’.  George Thorogood’s “Move it on Over” was playing.  The record album!

”Move it on over .... rock it on over .. move over, nice dog .....”

The song was abruptly interrupted by the dreadful sound of the stylus being dragged carelessly across the album .....  sscccrrrrrraaaaattchhhh.  Everyone cringed and a few seconds of silence passed.  We looked at each other, and around the room.  Next thing we knew, we heard those faint crackling sounds that told you the stylus was back in a groove and the music was about to begin.

[horns, triumphal] .... [eyes opening, awareness spreading like “the wave” in an arena] ....

”God ....  Bless .... America ....”   Kate Smith!

We cheered, we chugged beer, we kissed girls, we hooted and raised fists.

It was a once in a lifetime event made larger by occurring during a once in lifetime era.  I know three.  The Moon Landing, The Miracle on Ice and 9/11.  Oh, there are other epochal events (“he is running like a tremendous machine”), but none that match the event with the zeitgeist quite like these.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5

We lost power in Arcade and we couldn't watch the game. I was bummed. Some of us went for a walk. All of a sudden, the son of the owner of the local carpet/flooring store runs out of his shop and tells all of us, "The US just beat the Russians!" We were thrilled, to say the least.

Sweet memories. I'll remember that until the day I die.

Edited by Crosschecking
grammar
  • Like (+1) 2

I was a freshman at UR at a concert on campus. Can't recall how, but learned the score at the end of the second period during an intermission. Went to the student center where both tv's were tuned to the Olympics. Typical Olympic broadcast even then - switching to several events, but once Mark Johnson tied it the last 10 minutes were shown live.

A special feeling that can't really be duplicated because the "cold war" and changes in Olympic eligibility. They'd never play the tournament in a 7500 seat arena today

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I was a freshman at UR at a concert on campus. Can't recall how, but learned the score at the end of the second period during an intermission. Went to the student center where both tv's were tuned to the Olympics. Typical Olympic broadcast even then - switching to several events, but once Mark Johnson tied it the last 10 minutes were shown live.

A special feeling that can't really be duplicated because the "cold war" and changes in Olympic eligibility. They'd never play the tournament in a 7500 seat arena today

Or see Jamie Farr in the audience.

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.