GDT:Sabres at Pittsburgh 2/22/20 1PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

6-3-1 in their last 10. Imagine if they hadn't laid an egg against Ottawa? 

I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit. Hutton winning a game in Nov or Dec or Jan. Skinner scoring in 2020 before today. And --- a fascinating stat from the Pens broadcast today: This is their first consecutive loss in regulation since... November!?  If the Sabres avoid the ghastly stretches (10 losses in 11 back in Nov-Dec; 6 losses in 7 in midseason), then they're right there with the playoff bubble.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit. Hutton winning a game in Nov or Dec or Jan. Skinner scoring in 2020 before today. And --- a fascinating stat from the Pens broadcast today: This is their first consecutive loss in regulation since... November!?  If the Sabres avoid the ghastly stretches (10 losses in 11 back in Nov-Dec; 6 losses in 7 in midseason), then they're right there with the playoff bubble.

It's too bad they couldn't have had just one more good player on this team back in October. They might be tied with Toronto for that last spot instead of being 8 points back. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

It's too bad they couldn't have had just one more good player on this team back in October. They might be tied with Toronto for that last spot instead of being 8 points back. 

If only we had had a surplus of some position that could have been used to cobble together a package for a center on an expiring contract or two-year contract from some rebuilding team... yup. Back in November there was no way to know Hutton was going to fall apart, but there was a solid roster and Mitts and MoJo already were known to not be the answer this season. Alas... next year, I guess. (Still possible mathematically, but it'd require womp-rat style accuracy.)

2 minutes ago, ... said:

So, if they could keep playing well, is there still a chance they could contend for the last wildcard slot?

Toronto is more likely, as there's only TOR and FLA to surpass. There are 5 teams to jump for the wildcard. Too many loser points as those teams clamp down against each other.

There is a chance, but it's of the magnitude of 16-5 or better down the stretch. Possible, but very very unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.