GDT:Sabres at Pittsburgh 2/22/20 1PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, ... said:

So, if they could keep playing well, is there still a chance they could contend for the last wildcard slot?

No. This club has done this all season and the Sabrespacers get pumped after a game like this, only to watch them lay a giant egg against an opponent they should beat. I totally expect this pattern to continue as they have not given me a reason to expect otherwise. They are done for this season as the teams above them would need to collapse completely for Buffalo to crawl back in. I don't believe it will happen. I do hope the Sabres build on their decent play and finish strongly but I can see another let down or "reality check" coming shortly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Sabres are currently pacing at an 86-point season, which is about 10 points short of a typical 8th seed EC playoff team, but would also mark the best season for this franchise since 2011-12. We are a Hutton upgrade and a couple second-line forwards away from being an obvious playoff team. As much as I dislike our GM, I think we need to stay the course....???

• Like (+1) 2

Looks like I missed a good game.  I flew to Miami.  Going on a Virgin Island cruise tomorrow.  

I did watch the extended highlights on nhl.tv.  The top players all had points today.  Nice.  

Eichel’s two goals were sick, dead accurate snipes.  

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

The Sabres are currently pacing at an 86-point season, which is about 10 points short of a typical 8th seed EC playoff team, but would also mark the best season for this franchise since 2011-12. We are a Hutton upgrade and a couple second-line forwards away from being an obvious playoff team. As much as I dislike our GM, I think we need to stay the course....???

I don't think there is much chance  our GM  is not here next year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I think a goalie upgrade gets us 10 more points. 

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Yes.  But it’s not simply “a couple second line forwards”.   We need a real legitimate 2C that can take pressure off of the first line. We need a few wingers that will work over the other teams defense and pound away.  

Getting that 2C will likely create a hole somewhere else.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

It is an improvement over last year.

The sad thing is, it would be their best season since 2011-2012 when they had 89 points (They still have a chance of beating that season)

How long go was that?  That team featured.......Tyler Ennis was only 21 years old...So was Luke Adam who scored 10 goals in just over half a season...Jordan Leopold and Robyn Regehr lead the D-unit in games played.  I really hope this team with Eichel having his great year can top that team and get 90 points.

54 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Johansson was excellent tonight. Especially in the first. 
Vesey made  a defensive play that I’m still thinking about.
Great to see Skinner score.
Dahlin was great. And scary.

Dahlin made a couple of big mistakes today and then completely covered them up.  Maybe he's..... learning?

As for the others, I will say that aside from Sobs and Frolik, the players JBot has brought in have provided yeoman-like service.  Not stars, but at least JAG level.  Knowing we were still in cap hell I think JBot did the best he could without overspending either in assets or in $.

I'm even willing to give him a pass on Frolik because he was brought in when we were short several forwards, and he has been good for the PK.  I can see Vesey and Lazar on the club next year, especially if Angry Larry and Girgs are gone.  I just hope that every roster spot that turns over this off-season is replaced by an upgrade.

5 hours ago, ... said:

ERaCU90WkAEyqtG?format=jpg&name=small

Not getting the connection between the picture and my post.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.