Practice Lines 2/21/20

Brawndo

Man, I look at the defense and think "this would be fine for next season".

And then I look at the forwards and wonder what the hell that group could possibly look like.

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner - ______ - _______
Johansson - ______ - _______
Okposo - ______ - _______

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

And then I look at the forwards and wonder what the hell that group could possibly look like.

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

Even with this partial lineup you have Montour playing out of position where he is ill suited to play.  Just terrible roster management by Botteril.   l All we have is LW and RD.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

Is this guys under contract for next year?

Dang, we might be bad for a while

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

I realize it’s his decision, but they are creating a huge hole if they move on from Larsson 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Dang, we might be bad for a while

More or less. There are the kids in the A like Thompson and Mitts, and then Asplund, and Cozens. But I don't want to count them. And I'm ignoring that Lazar and Erod are RFAs because who gives a ***** about those guys.

Just now, Brawndo said:

I realize it’s his decision, but they are creating a huge hole if they move on from Larsson 

Frankly, I'd like them to get an extension done before this season is even over with.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

More or less. There are the kids in the A like Thompson and Mitts, and then Asplund, and Cozens. But I don't want to count them. And I'm ignoring that Lazar and Erod are RFAs because who gives a ***** about those guys.

Frankly, I'd like them to get an extension done before this season is even over with.

That should be priority number one, but he probably gets moved by Monday 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is what happens when everything is a one-year contract. It's a hazard or an opportunity. But all those FAs mean a lot more cost.

You can also throw in the caveat that Olofsson and Reinhart could be offered RFA tenders and we don't have anyone capable of replacing them if we take the picks.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

If I'm Larsson I test agency for sure. He can get more on the market than here. So if I'm JBot I move him to at least recoup something. (Otherwise, extend the guy during this season when it was seen he was on the mend from that gruesome wrist/arm.)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

That should be priority number one, but he probably gets moved by Monday 

The amount of work Botterill is going to have to do to simply have enough bodies for training camp really doesn't align with the concept of things like "internal competition" does it?

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Now we're going to see if that AHL depth is worth the price we paid.

(It'll work. It'll work.)

3a7.jpg

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is why I have moved into Bring a New GM in Category 

Unless he somehow manages to turn this deadline into a bunch of okay players under contract he's looking at a world of hurt come the draft and free agency because teams and player agents are going to take him to the woodshed over DEPTH player contracts before we even start talking about GOOD players.

27 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner - __FA_____ - _Johansson__
Casey - __Cozens____ - __Tage___
Okposo - __LAZAR____ - ___ASPLUND____

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

Here's how I could see it playing out next season, but I think or hope to god actual trades are made so it doesn't look like this. I'm always intrigued by a 3rd line of supposedly up and coming players so I'd be intrigued by a Cozes, Cases, Tagger line but I'm also sure they'd get their heads caved in. Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Here's how I could see it playing out next season, but I think or hope to god actual trades are made so it doesn't look like this. I'm always intrigued by a 3rd line of supposedly up and coming players so I'd be intrigued by a Cozes, Cases, Tagger line but I'm also sure they'd get their heads caved in. Maybe.

That forward corps would be worse than tanking. God help us.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

3a7.jpg

Unless he somehow manages to turn this deadline into a bunch of okay players under contract he's looking at a world of hurt come the draft and free agency because teams and player agents are going to take him to the woodshed over DEPTH player contracts before we even start talking about GOOD players.

The bigger the Uf, the bigger the Da.  I really hope there's some trade movement because I'm really fearful of the "plan" being to buy a 2C and fill in the rest with Amerks. We need some more veteran grizzle, as well as different styles of players. Someone in our top 6 needs to be something tougher than Reinhart, especially if we ever make it to the playoffs. Yes, Reinhart, as he's the only top-6 F on this team who has come to a teammates' aid this season in something akin to a fight. Vesey was the other. And Eichel sort of double-minored for himself. The rest get pushed around or licked, if there's a playoff series.

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I like the protected kids line (Vanek-Roy-Pominville) in the event you've got 2 lines above and a GLO line below. But we have to buy those lines. I don't like it for next season unless we've already got the 2C in the bag by Monday and the GLO is retained. (I don't see that happening, so I'm really wary of a kid line.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin - Miller
Montour - Risto
McCabe - Joker

I know Angry Larry is our HOT commodity this trade deadline, but I'd rather keep him for the fourth line.

This message board: this group of forwards are garbage; we should get rid of all of them!

Also this message board: we hardly have any forwards signed next year, fire JBots!!

Maybe, just maybe, he has all this cap space to make 1-2 significant signings in FA this summer for 2 more top six forwards since he only has 1 RFA that will command a raise to worry about signing (Sammy for 7.5MM a year).  

We shouldn't expect any big signing during the trade deadlines (probably a middle six forward with some term and a reasonable cap hit); but if he fails to make moves to drastically improve this roster over the summer I will buy the torches and pitchforks myself.  After this year the only albatross of a contract to contend with is Okie so no more excuses.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Almost.  An RFA or two in there also.

8 hours ago, darksabre said:

And I'm ignoring that Lazar and Erod are RFAs because who gives a ***** about those guys.

I'd like to hang onto Lazar.  Maybe not forever, but he's a good player to fill in holes in lines; he hustles and he's versatile.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

After this year the only albatross of a contract to contend with is Okie so no more excuses.

I'm starting to look at it as no even much of an albatross.  Lest year KO was a train wreck.  This year he's a key piece of one of our best lines, and seems to me to have steadily improved through the year.  Listening to his interviews last year, he knew he was a train wreck and wanted to improve.  He did so this year.  Is his contract too high for his role?  Yes.  But do I mind having him on the team?  No.

9 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If I'm Larsson I test agency for sure. He can get more on the market than here. So if I'm JBot I move him to at least recoup something. (Otherwise, extend the guy during this season when it was seen he was on the mend from that gruesome wrist/arm.)

I think this is right.   If Son of Lars is not moved at the deadline it’s because he probably expressed an interest to stay, but since we haven’t seen an extension he probably wants to leave.  The ONLY reason for him to stay is the Sweden West thing going on in Western NY. The losing has to have taken a toll.  UFA status is earned, and he deserves a look.  If he re-signs good for us, if not good on him.  We need a prospect not a draft pick in return if moved. 

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, WildCard said:

At least nothing will change

I've been thinking. (Not to self, stop thinking.) The unchanging state of Sabres hockey is very comforting. There are few things in life you can count on. It feels right. It's our identity and culture. We lose, but we have hope and somehow derive enjoyment from it. Enjoyment from suffering, enjoyment from snide remarks and gallows humor. We face no pressure that other fan bases do. It's easy. Every couple of years we get the endorphin rush of firing people and hiring new people, and that's our Cup run. Do I miss the heart palpitations I had in the spring of 2006? No way! Like an old, beat up saddle with a missing strap. Dysfunctional, dangerous and a pain in the ass. But it's OUR saddle. Bought and paid for. It's not pretty, but it'll get you where you wanna go. My other saddle is a Florida Panther.

Coffee. Not a good idea for me.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've been thinking. (Not to self, stop thinking.) The unchanging state of Sabres hockey is very comforting. There are few things in life you can count on. It feels right. It's our identity and culture. We lose, but we have hope and somehow derive enjoyment from it. Enjoyment from suffering, enjoyment from snide remarks and gallows humor. We face no pressure that other fan bases do. It's easy. Every couple of years we get the endorphin rush of firing people and hiring new people, and that's our Cup run. Do I miss the heart palpitations I had in the spring of 2006? No way! Like an old, beat up saddle with a missing strap. Dysfunctional, dangerous and a pain in the ass. But it's OUR saddle. Bought and paid for. It's not pretty, but it'll get you where you wanna go. My other saddle is a Florida Panther.

Coffee. Not a good idea for me.

Besides that, I also get to read more pages on here when we lose. Can I get a stat guy to confirm this please?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.