Marty Biron criticizing Skinner this AM

freester

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

By my quick math, Jack has averaged 1.3 ppg this year, and only 1.06 ppg last year. That's significant. 

Yeah, but 1) he is playing more mins and 2) some of that is on the PP.

So what are we talking about here?  You said that Eichel has been WAY better with Olofsson than with Skinner.  We are talking about ES only and I adjusted the numbers to a per min basis.  Why are you dragging us back to raw points per game?

I say this while fully acknowledging that Eichel looks like an improved player, especially in his goal scoring ability.  I don’t give Olofsson credit for that though.  I think Eichel just improved.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I had a feeling this contract was going to help sink us, I just didn't expect the drop off to be this much this fast. I'm not sure there is any way to escape it and I'm afraid it'll get even worse when we overpay Sam. 

Me just now realizing that things could get worse than they are now.

download.gif

45 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, but 1) he is playing more mins and 2) some of that is on the PP.

So what are we talking about here?  You said that Eichel has been WAY better with Olofsson than with Skinner.  We are talking about ES only and I adjusted the numbers to a per min basis.  Why are you dragging us back to raw points per game?

I say this while fully acknowledging that Eichel looks like an improved player, especially in his goal scoring ability.  I don’t give Olofsson credit for that though.  I think Eichel just improved.

Oh yes, agreed. Jack is just better this year, Olie or no Olie, still, them two have chemistry 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

On the PP they work well.  At ES I don’t think they have been anything special.  Skinner-Eichel was a lot more special.

I don’t really remember Jack and Jeff making magical plays together, with the find each other telepathy the best hockey duos have.

It was more like magical plays side by side - Eichel creating on his own, Jeff feasting on the chaos that created.

And just for the record, Just because I’ve been critical of Skinner’s play, that doesn’t mean I’m opposed to giving Jeff a whirl on Jack’s wing. I would have tried it when Victor went down.

I mostly like Ralph’s lines, but He’d benefit from trying a few different tactics, even if just to see the results.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t really remember Jack and Jeff making magical plays together, with the find each telepathy the best hockey duos have.

It was more like magical plays side by side - Eichel creating on his own, Jeff feasting on the chaos that created.

And just for the record, Just because I’ve been critical of Skinner’s play, that doesn’t mean I’m opposed to giving Jeff a whirl on Jack’s wing. I would have tried it when Victor went down.

I mostly like Ralph’s lines, but He’d benefit from trying a few different tactics, even if just to see the results.

I agree on all points.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I don’t really remember Jack and Jeff making magical plays together, with the find each telepathy the best hockey duos have.

Thank you. It is an honorific well deserved.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Marty is completely right. It's about time the commentators/announcers started saying the truth and stopped sugar coating reality. Raise the bar/standard of acceptable performance.

No, you're right.  I seen this coming for a long time.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t really remember Jack and Jeff making magical plays together, with the find each other telepathy the best hockey duos have.

I feel like this is the reason they should be put back together. Other than his pass to Olofsson in OT, I can’t remember seeing Jack make those plays on any line, really.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Marty doubles down on The Instigators: Skinner is "gliding" through practices. "I sure as hell wouldn't put Skinner on that top line."

Marty's dialing in on Skinner's work ethic is certainly something to note. I think goalies tend to be more in tune to this kind of thing because of the nature of their position.

As a goalie you're responsible for yourself and yourself alone, and what the rest of the team does is not really your problem. For a long time the regular goalies didn't even practice with the team, and the head coaches never even worked with them. The goalie coach and the goalies were their own separate entity, and in many ways they still are. You just have to be ready to play your own individual best game when you get the nod, everything else be damned.

So perhaps what Marty sees, and it's probably something he saw plenty of during his long career, is a skilled player pouting or deflecting blame. Skaters think a lot more about the team game, their linemates, their ice time, their opportunities. There are a lot of things you can blame for your poor production as a skater. Goalies don't really get that luxury, and maybe that's Marty's point. He thinks Skinner is taking advantage of the luxury that is afforded to skaters to shift blame.

Remember when Miller called out his teammates and everyone lost their minds like he broke some unspoken rule? That divide between goalies and skaters is very real.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

We're definitely hitting that point of the season where you'd like to see general experimentation, and then Bylsma and Phil would respond with doing the same stuff that led to playoffs being out of the question in February for the rest of the season. 

I hope Ralph is more interesting than that, with whatever he decides to do. 

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the mix of skill and chaos is what made these two special together.

It is strange that they keep playing Sam with jack and that only boast Sam's numbers come contract time this summer when Skinner could do everything and more Sam is doing now and putting Sam on the 2nd line you'd get a far better understanding of just what he is worth.  Skinner is making a boat-load of cash an dshould be on the #1 line making first line money. All they hav edone this year is inflate Sam's numbers for a big raise that I am not to sure he deserves...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Marty doubles down on The Instigators: Skinner is "gliding" through practices. "I sure as hell wouldn't put Skinner on that top line."

Marty is like Murphy for the Bills, they are both company men and never say anything critical at all.  This is what is so shocking.  I'm worried that even if they acquired a Center like Trocheck, Skinner's production might not improve.  Botteril could ask him to waive his NMC, but he currently has negative value and can not be moved without giving up assets or taking a cap dump back.

6 minutes ago, freester said:

Marty is like Murphy for the Bills, they are both company men and never say anything critical at all.  This is what is so shocking.  I'm worried that even if they acquired a Center like Trocheck, Skinner's production might not improve.  Botteril could ask him to waive his NMC, but he currently has negative value and can not be moved without giving up assets or taking a cap dump back.

Trocheck does not seem to be the type of player at the moment that would be good for any winger. 

Anyway, Marty noticing a 'lazy' Skinner practice the morning after his vague rant in the mold of pretty much any sports radio dude in any city any given day, continues to be an uninteresting thread of development 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Trocheck does not seem to be the type of player at the moment that would be good for any winger. 

Anyway, Marty noticing a 'lazy' Skinner practice the morning after his vague rant in the mold of pretty much any sports radio dude in any city any given day, continues to be an uninteresting thread of development 

Are you covering your ears and LALALALALALAing?

the mueller report see GIF

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

My friend,  you are wrong in thinking this is nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.