OT - Fantasy Island is permanently closed

FogBat

2 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Fantasy Island has been rebuilt and reopened complements of PSE:

The address?

1 Seymour H Knox III Plaza where there is an ongoing fantasy world where you think you can win NHL games with below average goaltending and no C depth.

I hear the price for admission has been greatly reduced.  

5 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Another of my 60’s childhood memories gone, along with Glen Park in Williamsville, and Crystal Beach.

Visited Crystal Beach several times as a kid.  My neighborhood would rent a bus for Crystal Beach Day and we’d get free tickets based on our report card grades.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really going to miss this place. When I bring my family back to Buffalo each summer, we would bring the kids there. My son even cried about this. They should’ve given us at least a season’s warning.

I think this is pretty much the same thing that happened to Toys R Us. When private equity gets involved, the business is done. 

7 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Another of my 60’s childhood memories gone, along with Glen Park in Williamsville, and Crystal Beach.

Along with the kiddie parks in Olcott and Akron...near the falls. 

...oops.  I meant Indian Falls which is not far from Akron. It was right off of 77 just North of the Thruway exit. 

Edited by LabattBlue

On 2/20/2020 at 9:22 AM, pastajoe said:

I took my kids to Glen Park last summer.  It's still a nice walk by the creek.  The cider mill is, sadly, defunct. (That apple cider was the bomb. Used to freeze gallon jugs of it to have cider all winter/spring/summer.)

I remember the roller coaster (Comet?) at CB to be terrifying the way it seemed to swoop directly towards Lake Erie, and then took a very hard turn.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It's really hard to make money at an amusement park that is only open 4 months a year. It changed hands many times and was bankrupt at least once previously.

There’s hundreds of thousands of seasonal businesses in the US. They must be doing ok considering such sectors of the economy still exist. If they don’t like the lumpiness of their earnings, you grow your business to combat this, like offering indoor entertainment during the winter months. Instead, they slashed expenses to the bare minimum. FI became a shell of what it used to be in the 80s. But, compounding this problem has been a falling population. 

5 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

(That apple cider was the bomb. Used to freeze gallon jugs of it to have cider all winter/spring/summer.)

When we lived in Michigan we used to go to the cider mill in the fall and get two gallons:  One we drank right away, the other I stashed in the back of the fridge for several weeks and wait for the jug to puff out..... hard cider!  ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Agreed. Fairly bad location. You would think in the middle of NF and Buffalo would be good, but it’s apparently not. They would be better off within NF. But even that probably wouldn’t cut it. Remember Niagara Splash?

I just wish they would leave the Comet up. Imagine having that in your mixed use complex?

Edited by kas23

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

I just wish they would leave the Comet up. Imagine having that in your mixed use complex?

Yes and no. It would be fascinating, but then I'm thinking about insurance and liability issues. Would it be worth it in the long run?

22 hours ago, kas23 said:

Agreed. Fairly bad location. You would think in the middle of NF and Buffalo would be good, but it’s apparently not. They would be better off within NF. But even that probably wouldn’t cut it. Remember Niagara Splash?

I believe the Comet is in Lake George. It’s up and you can ride it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.