Montreal Trades Marco Scandella to STL for 2nd and Conditional 4th.

Brawndo

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Bogo, Pilut, (and Hunwick) were injured going into the year, so JBot rightly acquired depth.

Miller is a good pickup. It allowed Pilut to go back to AHL. Joker is a great pickup -- scoring depth may have been impacted, but Joker's (steadfastness? implacability?) is the cause of the madness. Joker should be in the AHL this year once Bogo is back healthy. But you can't take Henri out of the lineup; he's been stellar as essentially a rookie.

The results of when folks got healthy have been the issue. We dressed 7 D for weeks and weeks. Someone had to move, and you're right, the logical move was to trade/waive Bogo as soon as he was back. Pilut in the AHL. And keep Scandy as your 6/7; he was playing really well when he was in -- and you can afford to give Dahlin and Joker a day off without punishing them. That's what a #7 is for (+ injuries). Then move Scandella (with higher value - better player, lower cost) at the deadline.

... and now I've gotta go read @LGR4GM's post...

This is exactly what should have happened.

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is exactly what should have happened.

With my belief caveat that you give Bogo a conditioning assignment first. Don't put him on the NHL roster. Give him 2-3 full weeks in the AHL or even the ECHL... either works. He had no training camp with the new coach, no practice, on a major surgery. Give him 1 game a week, no back-to-backs, etc., to see what he's got. Then, if you like it, promote him and showcase him or trade him. If you can see against AHL speed that he's done, plus still doesn't exactly "see" the game like Lidstrom...  then waive him. It's OK, he can collect his paycheck in Rochester or you get him to not report and save the cash. OR you trade him for a low pick and retain salary and you solve a bit of the D glut. Options abounded, but how he stayed on the roster over Scandella (and played over Miller) is not an acceptable option.

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Where would we be if he didn't have *checks notes* Randy Sexton, and other non-yes-men, challenging him like he was so proud of in brushing off the idea of a President of Hockey Ops?

Here’s the thing about the Hockey Ops guy: the Pegula’s essentially used the NHL as that guy in the process of hiring Botterill. They acknowledged their potential lacking in hockey expertise and consulted the experts before picking their guy. Senior hockey people and power brokers highly recommended him.

Just now, dudacek said:

Here’s the thing about the Hockey Ops guy: the Pegula’s essentially used the NHL as that guy in the process of hiring Botterill. They acknowledged their potential lacking in hockey expertise and consulted the experts before picking their guy. Senior hockey people and power brokers highly recommended him.

Do we know who the people are that gave the advice? 

17 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My biggest worry. I need to see a rock solid, significant trade from Jason this offseason or I won't believe he is capable of making moves we need going forward.

Can both sides of a trade say it's rock solid? The problem with Botterill is that he was taken in the Kane trade and the ROR trade and now he's marked as an easy take with a bonehead owner who is calling the shots. He's even mentioned it, tangentially, when he said he can't trust his fellow GMs, or words to that effect. When you reach this point, you are done. Or should be. (Not to mention you're GM of a historically bad team, the turkey vultures start flying around and no one is interested in saving you. Botterill is operating from a position of historic weakness.)

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mark Bergevin, Steve Yzerman, Lou Lamoriello in consultation with Kyle Dubas, Don Sweeney...?

You forgot Rutherford in Pittspuke, who pumped Botterill's tires. Smart. Hamstring one "rival."

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Can both sides of a trade say it's rock solid? The problem with Botterill is that he was taken in the Kane trade and the ROR trade and now he's marked as an easy take. He's even mentioned it, tangentially, when he said he can't trust his fellow GMs, or words to that effect. When you reach this point, you are done. Or should be. (Not to mention you're GM of a historically bad team, the turkey vultures start flying around and no one is interested in saving you. Botterill is operating from a position of historic weakness.)

You forgot Rutherford in Pittspuke, who pumped Botterill's tires. Smart. Hamstring one "rival."

I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I go back to the Paul Fenton disaster in Minny and remember all the tire-pumping that went on for him for years prior to him getting that job.

Then it comes out that a lot of the pumping was being done by Poile, who actually spent a lot of his time managing Fenton's peculiarities in Nashville, knowing his flaws first-hand, then swooped in to fleece Granlund from him the second he got a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I go back to the Paul Fenton disaster in Minny and remember all the tire-pumping that went on for him for years prior to him getting that job.

Then it comes out that a lot of the pumping was being done by Poile, who actually spent a lot of his time managing Fenton's peculiarities in Nashville, knowing his flaws first-hand, then swooped in to fleece Granlund from him the second he got a chance.

It's always interesting to watch the new GM from location X and the interactions with X afterward. Sometimes it helps the new GM's team, sometimes it benefits team X still. But there's almost always a little bit of an umbilical there to begin. That would be its own thread though.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Can both sides of a trade say it's rock solid? The problem with Botterill is that he was taken in the Kane trade and the ROR trade and now he's marked as an easy take with a bonehead owner who is calling the shots. He's even mentioned it, tangentially, when he said he can't trust his fellow GMs, or words to that effect. When you reach this point, you are done. Or should be. (Not to mention you're GM of a historically bad team, the turkey vultures start flying around and no one is interested in saving you. Botterill is operating from a position of historic weakness.)

I would say so. I don't need him to go fleece somebody. Just make a trade that fixes a significant problem of your own creation. FIXES, not "fixes" like Johansson "fixes" the 2C issue

If you make the other team happy too, so be it, I don't care about them. 

What percent chance are we confident that this point is reached? I forgot which poster it was, but somebody claims to have talked to someone who suggested that this is the case among GMs. Agreed that it has to be the end if true. 

Just now, triumph_communes said:

We have a team with good defense and offense that just struggles to finish. Oh, and an an absolutely terrible backup goaltender. 

Last year we would spend 3/4 of the game hemmed in our own zone. 

so many whiny ungrateful fans Jesus Christ 

It's not about finishing, for the offense. They're the worst in the league at sustainably creating chances from dangerous areas of the ice, not at finishing. 

Your second line isn't true at all. Like this year, two of our four lines were effective at keeping the puck, and two weren't. Like this year, we were middle of the pack in any stat that you could propose to proxy for time spent in our zone versus our opponents. Actually, some even suggest we were in our zone less often last year. 

You're consistently one of the worst posters here because you couple snark like your last line to mediocre hockey content like your first two 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's not about finishing, for the offense. They're the worst in the league at sustainably creating chances from dangerous areas of the ice, not at finishing. 

Your second line isn't true at all. Like this year, two of our four lines were effective at keeping the puck, and two weren't. Like this year, we were middle of the pack in any stat that you could propose to proxy for time spent in our zone versus our opponents. Actually, some even suggest we were in our zone less often last year. 

You're consistently one of the worst posters here because you couple snark like your last line to mediocre hockey content like your first two 

The worst posters are the incessant whiners like yourself.  Like whining is going to change anything?  If you need a place to go complain about the world and cry relentlessly go find a cult  

Even with your unquoted fancy stats, middle of the pack is a huge improvement. 

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The worst posters are the incessant whiners like yourself.  Like whining is going to change anything?  If you need a place to go complain about the world and cry relentlessly go find a cult  

frustrated fuck me GIF

18 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

You whine more about other posters in a given week than I whine about this team in a given month. It's way more insufferable to bitch about people on a forum than a hockey team that has won fewer games than all other franchises in the league since the tank ended

And some poor reading comprehension there - you compared this year's team to last year's, while nothing indicates we are any better at that this year than last year. "3/4ths of the time in our own zone" is some riveting incorrect information 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

You whine more about other posters in a given week than I whine about this team in a given month. It's way more insufferable to bitch about people on a forum than a hockey team that has won fewer games than all other franchises in the league since the tank ended

And some poor reading comprehension there - you compared this year's team to last year's, while nothing indicates we are any better at that this year than last year. "3/4ths of the time in our own zone" is some riveting incorrect information 

Lots of folks here, and at all forums just like his one, whine about other posters.  While other posters actually direct their commentary toward the team/subject matter in question.

I wish folks would actually comment on the hockey team and not each other.  

• Like (+1) 1

I do apologize to triumph - my comment was uncalled for. You're not one of the worst posters here. Nobody is, we're all great. 

That being said - people will be mad at the worst franchise in the league by wins and losses since the Pegulas have taken over, until it's better, and that anger will be especially prevalent after nights like last night. It might be best to just avoid the forum on days like today if you don't like that stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I do apologize to triumph - my comment was uncalled for. You're not one of the worst posters here. Nobody is, we're all great. 

That being said - people will be mad at the worst franchise in the league by wins and losses since the Pegulas have taken over, until it's better, and that anger will be especially prevalent after nights like last night. It might be best to just avoid the forum on days like today if you don't like that stuff.

Only have to avoid the forums because its full of whiners trying to out outrage each other.  People just want to be mad

I try to show the positives of the current situation and its straight to personal attacks.  Does that reflect on me or you?

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Only have to avoid the forums because its full of whiners trying to out outrage each other.  People just want to be mad

I try to show the positives of the current situation and its straight to personal attacks.  Does that reflect on me or you?

Well, if you're claiming unprovoked personal attacks, here are the gems you've recently graced us with in this thread:

18 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

If Frolik didn’t exceed your expectations I am concerned about your assessment of players. Our PK has been better and we aren’t fielding Wilson and Dea every game still

7 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

This board was going crazy because he was waiting too long for a trade. Now he’s an idiot for not waiting longer?  Can’t win with you lot

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

We have a team with good defense and offense that just struggles to finish. Oh, and an an absolutely terrible backup goaltender. 

Last year we would spend 3/4 of the game hemmed in our own zone. 

so many whiny ungrateful fans Jesus Christ 

You need to knock it off.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

And you forgot Russ Brandon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.