Montreal Trades Marco Scandella to STL for 2nd and Conditional 4th.

Brawndo

On 2/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Saw this sentiment elsewhere and it resonated with me - how many hours did they spend scouting Frolik and how did they not come to the conclusion that he was completely fried? It's unbelievable that they thought after putting serious research in that this was what they needed, at 4.3 mil with no retention

imagine having an extra 2nd to beef up these trade proposals or add another prospect

Burskovsky was added for a 2nd 

Truly show incompetence.  JBots does not know know when hold to um’, or when to fold ‘em.  

Edited by Pimlach

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So, STL just gave Scandy a 4-year, $13.1MM extension.

In other words, the reigning SC champs liked Scandy enough to give up a 2nd-rounder and a 4th-rounder, AND make a significant contractual commitment to him.

Meanwhile, JB thought he was only as good as Frolik.

JB must go.

I said all season that Scandy was playing well and was really helping Joker.   The Blues  may not like that contract in his last season but Scandy has been a great addition.  A top 4 defenseman on a SC team.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A usual it all comes down to one trade that he may or may not have been forced to make.  

The better argument is that he hasn't replaced ROR in two years.  

I have to respond because it’s been pretty thoroughly demonstrated that it is far more than one trade, it is the overall body of three years work that includes more misses than hits, and the overall lack of progress in the standings over that time.

Am I wrong in saying Jason’s best moves over three years are:

1) acquiring a promising young 15-point defenceman for a more touted but so-far disappointing young 25-point forward.

2) acquiring a promising 35-point forward for an older, worse 35-point forward and a spare part

3) signing a veteran 40-point forward to a $9 million 2-year deal to play out of position

4) trading a late first-round pick for a 35-point defenceman to play on his wrong side

5) trading for a soon-to-be UFA 30-goal scorer and paying him $9 million for each of the next seven years.

Those are his best moves.

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have to respond because it’s been pretty thoroughly demonstrated that it is far more than one trade, it is the overall body of three years work that includes more misses than hits, and the overall lack of progress in the standings over that time.

1) acquiring a promising young 15-point defenceman for a more touted but so-far disappointing young 25-point forward.

2) acquiring a promising 35-point forward for an older, worse 35-point forward and a spare part

3) signing a veteran 40-point forward to a $9 million 2-year deal to play out of position

4) trading a late first-round pick for a 35-point defenceman to play on his wrong side

5) pay a 30-goal scorer $9 million for each of the next seven years.

the above is a serious negative spin on every deal he has made

He acquired a promising very young D with top 4 potential for a 1st rd bust

He acquired a 40+ point young forward (Kahun was on pace for 45 pts this season) for two players he wasn't going to re-sign

He acquired a solid young 35 pt D to play in our top 4, who did play out of position this past season, but won't next season

He acquired a top 6 scoring winger for a pile of PU.

Ultimately all these moves made the team younger and better.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

the above is a serious negative spin on every deal he has made

He acquired a promising top 4 D for a bust 1st rd pick

He acquired a 40+ point forward (Kahun was on pace for 45 pts this season) for two players he wasn't going to re-sign

He acquired a solid young 35 pt D to play in our top 4, who did play out of position this past season

He acquired a top 6 scoring winger for a pile of PU.

Ultimately all these moves made the team younger and better.  

I’d say using terms like “bust” for a rookie and “40+” to describe a player who has never scored 40 is far more “spin” than what I posted. Where is my spin?

I would hope his best moves would have made the team better.

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d say using terms like “bust” for a rookie and “40+” to describe a player who has never scored 40 is far more “spin” than what I posted. Where is my spin?

Making the team younger and better after a season that was status quo when the standings are compared to the previous one is equally spin-y.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Making the team younger and better after a season that was status quo when the standings are compared to the previous one is equally spin-y.

Is the team better? Could they win a playoff round? Could they make the playoffs? What would happen if Eichel got injured or Reinhart or even Skinner? We answered one of those this year. The team seriously lacks depth in the forwards with basically no relief coming any time soon unless Tage, Mitts, and Cozens are all effective top 6 or 9 players immediately. That's a hell of gamble. Can't wait to watch him draft another defender this year in the 1st or 2nd while offensive talent just sits there. Should be fun because as they say, "defense wins... random games in october".

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Or two people can spin at the same time in opposite directions.

episode 1 halloween GIF

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

Or two people can spin at the same time in opposite directions.

episode 1 halloween GIF

Sorry for being pedantic, but I don’t see any negative spin in what I posted.

I included four opinions: Jokiharju and Kahun “promising”, Sheary “worse” and Nylander “touted but disappointing.” If anything the spin there is positive for Botterill.

As for the rest, the numbers are what they are.

Edited by dudacek

16 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I said all season that Scandy was playing well and was really helping Joker.   The Blues  may not like that contract in his last season but Scandy has been a great addition.  A top 4 defenseman on a SC team.  

Scandella/Joker was our best pairing defensively the first half of the season. The obvious move (once Jokiharju wasn't going to Rochester) was the same obvious move in the pre-season: move Risto or Montour. It's still the obvious move this offseason. And to top it off, you can always ship Scandella at the deadline for an extra 2nd of our own. That'd be nice.

Every GM wins some, every GM loses some. But to take all the assets that had been gathered by the time Vanek had been traded... and just flounder for another 6 years... that takes concerted losses.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, dudacek said:

5) trading for a soon-to-be UFA 30-goal scorer and paying him $9 million for each of the next seven years.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, dudacek said:

Sorry for being pedantic, but I don’t see any negative spin in what I posted.

I included four opinions: Jokiharju and Kahun “promising”, Sheary “worse” and Nylander “touted but disappointing.” If anything the spin there is positive for Botterill.

As for the rest, the numbers are what they are.

People think the way you framed Skinner's situation is a negative? If anything you were unreasonably optimistic - As of now, the Skinner contract looks to be among the worst we've seen. He's absolutely a net negative if what we saw this season continues. We'll have to wait and see. 

If what we saw this year from Skinner continues, we are D-O-A. Totally DOA. Keeps me up at night, not kidding. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.