Montreal Trades Marco Scandella to STL for 2nd and Conditional 4th.

Brawndo

Saw this sentiment elsewhere and it resonated with me - how many hours did they spend scouting Frolik and how did they not come to the conclusion that he was completely fried? It's unbelievable that they thought after putting serious research in that this was what they needed, at 4.3 mil with no retention

imagine having an extra 2nd to beef up these trade proposals or add another prospect

Burskovsky was added for a 2nd 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Saw this sentiment elsewhere and it resonated with me - how many hours did they spend scouting Frolik and how did they not come to the conclusion that he was completely fried? It's unbelievable that they thought after putting serious research in that this was what they needed, at 4.3 mil with no retention

imagine having an extra 2nd to beef up these trade proposals or add another prospect

Burskovsky was added for a 2nd 

Just utter and complete incompetence 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

So, STL just gave Scandy a 4-year, $13.1MM extension.

In other words, the reigning SC champs liked Scandy enough to give up a 2nd-rounder and a 4th-rounder, AND make a significant contractual commitment to him.

Meanwhile, JB thought he was only as good as Frolik.

JB must go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Still completely flabbergasted that a professional scouting department and NHL GM watched Frolik this year and said "yeah, that'll be the guy we expend energy on acquiring"

Especially since Scandella had bounced back so nicely. 

I get that you aren't going to trade for excellent players midseason, but what was it that told him Frolik would bring something we needed more of?

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Still completely flabbergasted that a professional scouting department and NHL GM watched Frolik this year and said "yeah, that'll be the guy we expend energy on acquiring"

I get that you aren't going to trade for excellent players midseason, but what was it that told him Frolik would bring something we needed more of?

Terrifying tbh 

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Terrifying tbh 

And it's not even like this is some huge thing - with Jason, it's a million small things that make you generally anxious about the next move. Taking a hit on those sixth rounders in his first draft - yes, meaningless as far as on-ice product goes, but wtf were you thinking?

dudacek posted something a while ago that points to how much more complicated NHL teams' frameworks and understanding of analysis for hockey players are than we realize as armchair GMs - why does ours always lead us to players that create the fewest scoring chances and most boring offensive zone play in the league? It's one consistency with a vast majority of his preferred players spanning three seasons. I'll allow the facts that he's way smarter about hockey than I am with no complaint - but when on earth do we get to see the good parts of this complex scouting begin to override the fact that we are wasting years of Jack's prime watching these players eat it on the boards, repel away from the slot and skill plays, and finish in the bottom five of the league standings?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Good point. i mean the buck stops with Jason, but who the hell is recommending these guys?

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Y’all realize that this is a 800k annual pay cut.  

I don’t remember but did we throw shade at Jbot when he let Kulikov walk and he received 3 year 13 mill contract with Wpg.   

Botterill had been GM for less than two months then.  We were more hopeful.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t remember but did we throw shade at Jbot when he let Kulikov walk and he received 3 year 13 mill contract with Wpg.   

You're dancing around the points people are actually talking about - I don't think a single person here wants Scandella here on this new contract. 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

You're dancing around the points people are actually talking about - I don't think a single person here wants Scandella here on this new contract. 

We all agree he screwed up on the assets he got for Scandella and then acquiring Frolik who I called Sobotka 2 at the time of the trade. His getting re-signed by Stl on a stupid contract doesn’t change the facts.  I’m not sure why this even comes up again other then people have nothing to discuss so might as well beat the dead horse.

The truth is Scandella is a solid depth D and probably worth 3 mill for a year or two but in two years this will be a bad contract. 

We aren’t going to miss him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd take Scandella at that contract, but you're right it's not the point.

The point is not only did Jason get a poor return for a demonstrably fungible asset, he also made an extraordinarily bad read on the quality of player Frolik was.

It's not unusual it seems.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I'd take Scandella at that contract, but you're right it's not the point.

The point is not only did Jason get a poor return for a demonstrably fungible asset, AND that he made an extraordinarily bad read on the quality of player Frolik was.

Why is any of this new now?

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why is any of this new now?

LOL, says the man who brings up Tim Murray's defence moves on a regular basis? ?

(In all seriousness, I think you answered your own question. There's not much new in hockey to talk about)

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So, STL just gave Scandy a 4-year, $13.1MM extension.

In other words, the reigning SC champs liked Scandy enough to give up a 2nd-rounder and a 4th-rounder, AND make a significant contractual commitment to him.

Meanwhile, JB thought he was only as good as Frolik.

JB must go.

St L is treating us like a garage sale.  Show up, rummage through junk.  Find a gem.  Offer pennies on the dollar.  Load the trunk and drive away smiling.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.