Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

6 hours ago, Curt said:

If CAR wanted Aho at the exact contract offered by MTL, why wouldn’t they just offer it to Aho themselves?  Why would Aho sign it with MTL but not with CAR?  It just doesn’t make any sense.

It actually worked out for Aho as Carolina wanted to sign him to an 8 year deal and Aho wanted a shorter term from my understanding. So although he may have not gotten the maximum AAV he got the term so if he keeps playing the way he is he'll have a big payday once again in the not so distant future.

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I never said it happens, what i said was "i wouldn't be surprised" if it did. Seems like the agents are working both sides so why shouldn't the GM's work together to keep salaries down. Not any written agreement or anything, but just similar to the "offer sheets are tabu" type thing.

How does an offer sheet help to keep salaries down though?  That’s what doesn’t make sense.  Why is a player going to agree to a cheaper contract via an offer sheet than he would with his original team?

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^^

Re the discussion upthread and FWIW: There's chatter in the Twittersphere -- and not just among know-nothings -- about how the MTL offer sheet could have been done as something of a favour to CAR.

So, the idea is that Aho was willing to sign cheaper with MTL than he was with CAR?  The term or salary structure certainly wasn't a favor.  Those were as favorable to Aho as they could possibly be. 

I'm honestly trying to understand what the favor was and if that is a contract CAR wanted Aho on, why they didn't just offer it to him themselves.

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

13 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Artem Anisimov could be a good add, as although not a great top 6 guy he does play Center, has an affordable contract and term and likely not cost a whole lot.

I’m clearly in the minority, but I think Jbot is close to done.  I do think some excess guys get moved/waived/traded off the team, but I don’t see any major acquisition at this point.

We are deep defensively and once McCabe is re-signed the pieces are all in place with a nice balance and speed and skill throughout the top 9.

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Miller

If Bogo comes back healthy he can switch in for Scandella and play with Miller.  For the 1st time in years, we’ll actually have a full compliment of NHL D.  

As to the forwards, Jbot has added Vesey and Johansson, plus Olofsson is going to earn a roster spot.  That’s three additional top 9 forwards to go with Jack, Sam, Jeff, Mitts, Erod and Sheary.  That is a legit top 9 and the pieces fit together if Johansson plays center.  Please don’t assume that just because a guy doesn’t take faceoff’s he isn’t playing center.  Erod, who played both center and wing was 3rd in FO taken and Skinner was 6th. Also Sheary, Vesey and Olofsson can play their off wing.

Lines 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson/Vesey

Olofsson/Vesey/Johansson Johansson/Mitts/Erod Reinhart

Sheary/Olofsson Mitts/Erod/Johansson ERod/Sheary

As you can see there are a million line combos because most of our forwards (Sheary, Johansson, Olofsson, Erod and Vesey) can play multiple positions.  The lineup will depend on chemistry.  With Samson now anchoring the 2nd line from his RW slot, we really need a center who can keep up and drive possession and that is Johansson.

My preferred lineup is 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Erod Johansson Reinhart

Vesey Mitts Sheary/KO - I don’t mind putting KO here to add a vet and some toughness.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m clearly in the minority, but I think Jbot is close to done.  I do think some excess guys get moved/waived/traded off the team, but I don’t see any major acquisition at this point.

We are deep defensively and once McCabe is re-signed the pieces are all in place with a nice balance and speed and skill throughout the top 9.

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Miller

If Bogo comes back healthy he can switch in for Scandella and play with Miller.  For the 1st time in years, we’ll actually have a full compliment of NHL D.  

As to the forwards, Jbot has added Vesey and Johansson, plus Olofsson is going to earn a roster spot.  That’s three additional top 9 forwards to go with Jack, Sam, Jeff, Mitts, Erod and Sheary.  That is a legit top 9 and the pieces fit together if Johansson plays center.  Please don’t assume that just because a guy doesn’t take faceoff’s he isn’t playing center.  Erod, who played both center and wing was 3rd in FO taken and Skinner was 6th. Also Sheary, Vesey and Olofsson can play their off wing.

Lines 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson/Vesey

Olofsson/Vesey/Johansson Johansson/Mitts/Erod Reinhart

Sheary/Olofsson Mitts/Erod/Johansson ERod/Sheary

As you can see there are a million line combos because most of our forwards (Sheary, Johansson, Olofsson, Erod and Vesey) can play multiple positions.  The lineup will depend on chemistry.  With Samson now anchoring the 2nd line from his RW slot, we really need a center who can keep up and drive possession and that is Johansson.

My preferred lineup is 

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Erod Johansson Reinhart

Vesey Mitts Sheary/KO - I don’t mind putting KO here to add a vet and some toughness.

I feel we still need another proven top 6 guy as ERod at best is a 3rd liner and asking Olofsson to be on the top line is asking a lot. 

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

An article in the Athletic suggests the asking price for Gusev is a 2nd round pick and another late round pick or low end prospect. Assuming he'd sign here, I continue to think it's a reasonable gamble if we don't have anything else going on. 

Or if we do have something else going on. 

Skinner - Eichel - Johansson
Gusev - Cirelli (teehee) - Reinhart
Olofsson - Mitts - Vesey
Girgensons - Larsson - Rodrigues 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If there is a trade, I'd much rather it be in the next few days than later on this summer. I'd rather summer discussion be geared towards lineups we're confident in seeing than speculation with the likely-incomplete (possibly in a major way) setup we currently have

OK -- I'll let JB know.  Certainly he needs to consider the summer dog day hockey talk preferences of our board in making his decisions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK -- I'll let JB know.  Certainly he needs to consider the summer dog day hockey talk preferences of our board in making his decisions.

Well, doing so probably wouldn't result in a worse on-ice product than he's been responsible for the last two seasons. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Speaking of JB, I heard some barn, or other, caught fire and the fire brigade could not save many of the barrels.  True story, I think.

Mila Kunis facing felony charges for not getting her branding iron checked thru the fire marshall

??? So I don't make anybody mad!!! 

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Speaking of JB, I heard some barn, or other, caught fire and the fire brigade could not save many of the barrels.  True story, I think.

16 minutes ago, jsb said:

Mila Kunis facing felony charges for not getting her branding iron checked thru the fire marshall

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Nope.  I'm going to keep my clothes on around you if that's okay.

download (6).jpg

6 hours ago, Curt said:

So, the idea is that Aho was willing to sign cheaper with MTL than he was with CAR?  The term or salary structure certainly wasn't a favor.  Those were as favorable to Aho as they could possibly be. 

I'm honestly trying to understand what the favor was and if that is a contract CAR wanted Aho on, why they didn't just offer it to him themselves.

The only way I can see that happening is if Carolina made a low ball offer, Aho made a crazy counter that he was standing firm on. Carolina says fine, go to the market. Montreal says they will offer sheet him early with a reasonable offer that they negotiate with him. Carolina wants this so they don't drag out negotiations all summer. Aho sees the offer as reasonable when no one else shows interest at what his asking price is and signs. Carolina matches and keeps him at a lower amount 

Highly doubt that's what actually happened, but that's probably the most realistic way I see it having gone down if there's was discussions before hand. Can't see why Montreal would agree to it (unless they had noninterest in making any big moves bit wanted to make it look that way to their fans). Also seems unrealistic for Carolina to risk him finding a taker at what he wants and possibly being forced to have to let him go cause they can't afford him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If.we could get him for a prospect and a pick or two I'd be all for it 

Hopefully they move some actual bodies back in the trade as well. At this rate they're going to need another team in the pipeline to put all the players that can't fit in Buffalo, Rochester, or Cincinnati.

Edited by Drunkard

On 7/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, Curt said:

Nobody said this. Aho , I believe, was offered $7.5M/yr and MON offered $8.5M. But, what was Aho really worth? I don't know of anyone that wasn't expecting him to sign closer to $10M/yr.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Nobody said this. Aho , I believe, was offered $7.5M/yr and MON offered $8.5M. But, what was Aho really worth? I don't know of anyone that wasn't expecting him to sign closer to $10M/yr.

OMG.  You asserted that perhaps GM's would work together to keep salaries down by offer sheeting each others players at slightly low salaries.  You said that perhaps this could be what happened (mearly speculating) in the case of Aho, with CAR GM calling MTL GM and requesting that he offer sheet Aho at $1.5M less than he was asking for.  And specuated that Aho could have been played in this way.

I asserted that this didn't really make sense, because why wouldn't the original team just offer the same contract that they are asking the offer sheeting team to put forth.  I could not see how such an arrangement of the GM's working together would keep salaries down, as the contract would still need to be one that satisfied the player enough that he actually signs it. 

I still do not see this and you have not put forth any reasoning to support the idea.  That's all I'm saying. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.