Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Maybe I've missed some things but Lebrun seems to have the lead in knowing Sabres stuff with this front office. Anyone else get that impression?

In this case someone specifically asked him if they’re interested in Boyle and he responded with a yes. So it’s interesting that he didn’t run with it initially but is willing to share when asked. WHAT MORE DO YOU KNOW, PIERRE!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Talk about the epitome of what this team needs in the bottom six.  If you can get him for one or two years he's an immediate upgrade.  I'm perfectly okay with Mittelstadt being sent down to the AHL for the season. 

There's no way Boyle is choosing to come here though. He's a mercenary now. He'll be looking to slot onto a playoff team.

46 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm slowly inching over to Flagg's side and say that Dreger is just full of sht. He's on a Sabres radio show and probably just said 'oh yeah I could see them doing that', nothing along the lines of he's actually hearing we're interested or anything

No offense Brawndo, always appreciate the updates 

Well now that is something. Any idea by who? 

As I said in the other thread before seeing this one: Dreger said he knows the Sabres are interested, he thinks they might go five years.

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Maybe I've missed some things but Lebrun seems to have the lead in knowing Sabres stuff with this front office. Anyone else get that impression?

Totally and completely. He clearly trades favours for Botts or Sexton or someone else extremely high up. He’s been the guy for Sabres tidbits since Murray was canned.

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

There's no way Boyle is choosing to come here though. He's a mercenary now. He'll be looking to slot onto a playoff team.

I feel like I might be going a little obnoxious on this point, but unless someone personally know the player or  his family, nobody knows what motivates any specific person.

Players, more then anyone, know how random playoffs and playoff success can be. Unless one of the top four or five teams are fighting for you, chances of playoff success falls below financial security for a lot more over thirty year old players then you might think. Again, not all of them and I guess that’s the point 

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I feel like I might be going a little obnoxious on this point, but unless someone personally know the player or  his family, nobody knows what motivates any specific person.

Players, more then anyone, know how random playoffs and playoff success can be. Unless one of the top four or five teams are fighting for you, chances of playoff success falls below financial security for a lot more over thirty year old players then you might think. Again, not all of them and I guess that’s the point 

I just don't see it happening. Money is good, but guys want to win too. The only way he's coming here is if no one wants him and the Sabres say "hey, if we're out of the playoffs at the deadline we'll trade you to a good team". But he could get that same offer from a team that is in way better shape than the Sabres.

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really shouldn't be that surprising that we're being aggressive 

I guess that's what you'd expect from a competent GM, something many around here do not credit Botterill for being.

I'm glad it looks as through we're being aggressive.

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really shouldn't be that surprising that we're being aggressive 

15 minutes ago, ... said:

I guess that's what you'd expect from a competent GM, something many around here do not credit Botterill for being.

I'm glad it looks as through we're being aggressive.

I would actually argue that aggressiveness in unrestricted free agency may be inversely related to GM competence. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Give me Dzingel and some bottom 6 shake-up and I could call it a day in FA. He is the one I really want. I don't think they are going after a #2 center in FA (unless it is a #3 center that they slot in at #2)

I would pass on Dzingel, rather want donskooi.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I would actually argue that aggressiveness in unrestricted free agency may be inversely related to GM competence. 

At the same time, contacting a lot of UFAs should be part of a GM's job description, not evidence of ability or lack-thereof

We will have plenty of time this summer to evaluate his competence based on what the team looks like after he makes the moves he does  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

At the same time, contacting a lot of UFAs should be part of a GM's job description, not evidence of ability or lack-thereof

We will have plenty of time this summer to evaluate his competence based on what the team looks like after he makes the moves he does  

Does anyone actually believe he isn't doing this? And I'm not talking obvious #dosomethingbotterill snark. 

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Depends on what you're after. FA can certainly be used to acquire depth

Well yea. But when I hear "aggressive," I think "get the guy I want with big money and/or term."

37 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Give me Dzingel and some bottom 6 shake-up and I could call it a day in FA. He is the one I really want. I don't think they are going after a #2 center in FA (unless it is a #3 center that they slot in at #2)

The best way to fix the bottom six is to make Casey, VO and Erod the third line and

Sheary, Lars and Kyle the fourth line.

You do that something like this;

Line One Zucc- Eichel- Kessell

Line Two Skinner - ?? -Sam

59 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Jeremy White is as bad as Eklund and posting his stuff here should be a punishable offense.

Disagree, Hoss. The title of the thread is 'Trade Rumors and Speculation'. Rumors and speculation, by their very nature, tend to be mostly inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt anyway, IMHO. I'd rather have what is being heard posted here and then let each individual further pursue what he or she thinks passes the 'smell test'.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.