Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

In case no one noticed we are currently tied with Montreal in the standings, 66 points, although, we have 20 games left, they have 18, so we have 2 games in hand. And yet, they just sold Kovalchuk, 50% retained, for a back end 3rd rd draft pick. Montreal has thrown in the towel, yet, the Buffalo Sabres soldier on and continue to march, closing the gap for that 3rd Division slot for the playoffs.

Botterill will be active tomorrow, I think something substantial is going to happen. A couple of trades with 1 big one. Just a hunch.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Anyone else have the feeling this trade deadline is going to be anticlimactic for the Sabres? As usual. 

Botterill’s deadline moves last year: A 6th for Beaulieu, Montour for a 1st and Guhle

Two years ago: A 1st a 4th and O’Regan for Kane

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I predict a maximum of two of our UFAs are sold for picks.

And I predict an unexpected hockey trade that brings in a player with term.

He needs to make that latter trade because this roster is going to be tough to fill out in the off-season if he doesn't.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

That’s good GMimg 

Said no one ever about Bergevin.... (atleast according to Canadians Fans, which makes this worse....)

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

With Botterill being in Ottawa for our 7 - 4 shellacking, I believe Pageau has been targeted as our line 2 center upgrade. Also, I don't think that was the only piece, I believe he may be looking at Namestnikov as a RW upgrade as well. Just trying to connect the dots, I mean, why in the hell else would Botterill and Saxton be in Ottawa for that game, where it was reported him and Dorian met and spoke for some time.

He's looking at making connections for future job opportunities?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

In case no one noticed we are currently tied with Montreal in the standings, 66 points, although, we have 20 games left, they have 18, so we have 2 games in hand. And yet, they just sold Kovalchuk, 50% retained, for a back end 3rd rd draft pick. Montreal has thrown in the towel, yet, the Buffalo Sabres soldier on and continue to march, closing the gap for that 3rd Division slot for the playoffs.

Botterill will be active tomorrow, I think something substantial is going to happen. A couple of trades with 1 big one. Just a hunch.

I wonder if he uses some of those assetts to make a bigger move tomorrow?

Also, maybe he thinks its time to rebuild/retool instead of falling short of making the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So here’s a hypothetical. What if we make no deals at all and finish the season with the current roster? Aside from whether or not we make the playoffs, what is the likelihood of this scenario?

Its possible I guess? Maybe Botts is still evaluating which Fax machines to upgrade too for his office?

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Maybe they could get him to bring his dad?

He wasn't big either 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I saw somewhere (can't seem to find it again) that Domi might be available. Any takers and what might it take?

Why, on god's green Earth, would he be available?

14 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So here’s a hypothetical. What if we make no deals at all and finish the season with the current roster? Aside from whether or not we make the playoffs, what is the likelihood of this scenario?

I think slim.  JBOT must have a feel for who he wants to bring back next year (regardless of cost).  And maybe some UFAs have given indication that they won't want to come back next year.  He'll try to get something/anything for them.  The problem is, does anyone want them? 

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Rather have Compher back lol

This is definitely my sentiment exactly.   Compher is a much more competent player.  In addition, Jost's stick skill work is miles behind Mittelstadt, it's not a player I think is an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

We need size.

I think skill is just as important.  You see the dead wood that we're still floating out there for what we call middle six forwards and I just cringe.  Sheary, Frolik, Vesey, can easily all go.  I'm torn on what to do with Johansson, because I feel like in the right situation he'd benefit getting out of the middle.  So for now, he's safe.  I'd also listen on Girgensons if he isn't coming back around a decent cap hit.  The same goes for Evan Rodrigues.  It's amazing that a year ago, it looked like he was a decent shot to at least be a third/fourth line center. DO NOT TRADE JOHAN LARSSON.  Unless you get a 2nd and a prospect - which I doubt happens. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.