Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, darksabre said:

I'm not as high on Kase as some people are around here, and I'm not really even mad we didn't trade for him. But him going to Boston is just the worst possible outcome for us because you just know it's going to work for them.

Of course, Boston has proven to get the benefit of the doubt, even when their 3 1st round picks were Meh, they still made it work. 

Buffalo gets zero benefit, we are terrible, have been terrible and are basically incompetent overall. Such an amazing hockey city in shambles 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brawndo said:

Boston’s First is going to be maybe 10 draft slots better than the Sabres second. 

The Sabres 2020 2nd and one of their gazillion defensive prospects wouldn’t have been worth saving a cap team six million? 

The Sabres 2nd, a prospect and BOGO might have worked too if Anaheim was so interested in taking back a cap hit. Of course when your drafting near the top like the Sabres are, teams don't want your 2nd just because it's close to being a first, they want your 1st....

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The only reason doing nothing would be smart is because hopefully by the end of the season he's out of work and a new GM who should have already been in place by now would have the chance to pick and choose who they want to keep and let go of.

That's exactly why it would be smart, let someone good at evaluating talent take over and relieve Jbot of his job. He just hasn't done enough, as pi says.... Do better 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not as high on Kase as some people are around here, and I'm not really even mad we didn't trade for him. But him going to Boston is just the worst possible outcome for us because you just know it's going to work for them.

He misses a lot of games. For Boston it's a good move to clear salary a year early and to get a person for the playoffs. Long-term I'm not sure it's anything spectacular from Boston's side unless Kase is a playoff beast or gets/stays healthy.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think it's more frustration that we are sitting here watching other teams make moves while Botts hasnt made one yet after watching another season slip away 

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

He misses a lot of games. For Boston it's a good move to clear salary a year early and to get a person for the playoffs. Long-term I'm not sure it's anything spectacular from Boston's side unless Kase is a playoff beast or gets/stays healthy.

It's essentially the Bogo trade if Bogo had been a forward. The question ends up being how much Boston signs him for as an RFA in a few years. If they're smart they don't end up overpaying.

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That's exactly why it would be smart, let someone good at evaluating talent take over and relieve Jbot of his job. He just hasn't done enough, as pi says.... Do better 

I think the problem with this though is that the even smarter move would have been to do something with Botts sooner so someone else could come in and use the deadline to make some moves too, instead of letting things stay as is and preventing the guy in place from doing much now.

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Sabres 2nd, a prospect and BOGO might have worked too if Anaheim was so interested in taking back a cap hit. Of course when your drafting near the top like the Sabres are, teams don't want your 2nd just because it's close to being a first, they want your 1st....

I wonder if Anaheim may actually need the Backes cap hit next year.  Bogosian wouldn't help in that situation since his soon to be non-existant contract expires this summer.

It's essentially the Bogo trade if Bogo had been a forward. The question ends up being how much Boston signs him for as an RFA in a few years. If they're smart they don't end up overpaying.

Exactly. If somehow we could have swung Bogo, our 2nd, and a sweetener for it -- great. But ANH wants picks.

The key is at the end of next year: is Kase re-signed to 4.5M? or 7M? Or is he left as UFA? Or is he extended this year and then left unprotected to SEA? Boston gave up a 1st for cap relief and some potential. The injuries are the concerning thing.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Exactly. If somehow we could have swung Bogo, our 2nd, and a sweetener for it -- great. But ANH wants picks.

The key is at the end of next year: is Kase re-signed to 4.5M? or 7M? Or is he left as UFA? Or is he extended this year and then left unprotected to SEA? Boston gave up a 1st for cap relief and some potential. The injuries are the concerning thing.

I think if you're Boston you don't care. The window is closing on some of your core guys so you bring a guy like Kase in to try to win another one over the next two post-seasons and if you have to let him walk you're only out very little. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it's more frustration that we are sitting here watching other teams make moves while Botts hasnt made one yet after watching another season slip away 

Easy now, JB is probably still in his cozy bed with his embroidered monogram sleep mask on.  That was a lot of energy he expended on showing that pile of papers who's boss.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think if you're Boston you don't care. The window is closing on some of your core guys so you bring a guy like Kase in to try to win another one over the next two post-seasons and if you have to let him walk you're only out very little. 

Therein lies the difference. They're in win-now mode; we're rebuilding and we won't toss a 1st for a 3rd line winger/with 2W potential. Boston's top-of-the-standings 1st is their equivalent of 2nd-for-a-rental. Plus, they get cap space for next season to make one more run before a) Chara retires and b) the expansion and c) CBA redo. They're going for it and then will rebuild on the fly in the new world of 21-22 (and probably stay pretty darn good).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Therein lies the difference. They're in win-now mode; we're rebuilding and we won't toss a 1st for a 3rd line winger/with 2W potential. Boston's top-of-the-standings 1st is their equivalent of 2nd-for-a-rental. Plus, they get cap space for next season to make one more run before a) Chara retires and b) the expansion and c) CBA redo. They're going for it and then will rebuild on the fly in the new world of 21-22 (and probably stay pretty darn good).

Bingo 

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

But they also dumped a bad vet contract to get a younger player who could help eventually replace some of the older players. Usually the deadline deals would be the better team giving up future (prospects and picks) to get something for the present (rental veteran). Most of the deals aren't for younger players with potential that aren't going to be UFAs in the summer.

36 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But they also dumped a bad vet contract to get a younger player who could help eventually replace some of the older players. Usually the deadline deals would be the better team giving up future (prospects and picks) to get something for the present (rental veteran). Most of the deals aren't for younger players with potential that aren't going to be UFAs in the summer.

I like the deal a lot from Boston's perspective. The cap savings are big; the Kase contract is tiny. If he's a piece for the future, great. If not, it's easy to move or flip next year.

On the ANH side, it means their timeline to compete is greater than 2 years. So target the Ducks!

Every year Boston looks for someone to play with Krejci. This year it's Kase, and the downside is similar to what it was with Johanson last year. Injury history and all that, but you remember how that worked out for them. Didn't work so well the time they did it for Rick Nash so wait and see. If healthy, the guy's a perfect fit for Krejci and DeBrusk. Dumping most of Backes salary likely means they have one or more moves still left in rentals and then the money goes to Krug next year, hence the puck moving prospect D man not needed. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Interesting side note just appeared on TSN's trade trackre. Boston retained 25% of Backes' salary. So, not quite as strong of a cap refresh for Boston as originally thought.

but still 4.5 mil saved on next year's cap. pretty good move considering Backes wasn't on the roster. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

but still 4.5 mil saved on next year's cap. pretty good move considering Backes wasn't on the roster. 

Per capfriendly next season Anaheim pays 3.4M; and Boston retains 1.5M. Still better than full price.

It would have been nice to move on from Moulson or Bogo a year early and acquire an extra piece these last couple seasons in this manner. Or even Okposo after the end of next season.

Winnipeg and Knights hookup, Eakins to Winnipeg, Vegas clearing cap space.

Took this from a post on another site...…….

There have been some reports that the Sabres and Knights were talking a week ago. Have no idea to the articles authors sources, so cannot speak to it's validity, but, Vegas and Buffalo have been scouting one another. Here is the article...…...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.