Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

54 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Why would we want a 29 year old center with 4 years left on his deal?

If we want to make the playoffs this year, we need ballsy.

Easy.  We need his skills this year and the next 2 years as our 2C to bridge the gap until Cozens is ready and he then serves as an excellent 3C for the balance of his deal. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Easy.  We need his skills this year and the next 2 years as our 2C to bridge the gap until Cozens is ready and he then serves as an excellent 3C for the balance of his deal. 

If only there were a soon to be 29 year old center with 2c skills that is under contract for the next 3 years we could have on this team... if. only.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

News stories are saying that ANA is going full on rebuild and they are willing to take on bad contracts for picks and prospects. Does that mean the Henrique is available? Will they take Bogo off our hands For a few months for a pick or prospect?  

Everytime I look to see which centers might be available who can help us now and in the near future, I keep coming back to him. He is like the perfect plug and play roster fix.  Scores goals, wins faceoffs, and can play up and down the lineup.  He also has 4 years left at 5.825.  He is currently projection out at 25g 42pts for a bad ANA team.  I think with MoJo and Skinner he could easily be a 50+ pt guy next season.  

What about Asplund, Bogo, and a 4th this year and a 2nd next year for Henrique?  It’s a cap neutral deal this season.  Gives Anaheim an NHL ready prospect to plug in for losing Henrique plus a 2nd for Henrique while taking away the last 4 years of Henrique’s deal, plus a 4th for taking Bogo off our hands for 6 weeks. 

Anaheim says no -- they will get better offers than this for Henrique.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

My proposal to Anaheim, if they're looking for cap space this summer, and for Buffalo if their goal is to simply make a playoff run:

Bogo, Risto, Hutton and a 1st for Getzlaf and Miller.

The trade is essentially Risto and a 1st for 115+ games of Getzlaf centering Skinner and Johansson.

Anaheim gets Risto who has term, and Bogo is cap space for them this summer. Miller and Hutton are UFA goalie swaps just to get us a slightly better backup.

JB (and me) says no -- Risto and a likely lottery pick is too much for a 34-year-old center (who will turn 35 this season) in decline.  And I don't think Anaheim would get nearly this much for Getzlaf.

I'd give them Borgen, Pilut or Colin Miller plus a #2 plus Asplund for Getzlaf.

40 minutes ago, jsb said:

If you're going to deal with Anaheim for a tank, go freaking big, Gibson and Henrique for Risto, Bogosian, Asplund, Hutton and this our #1 this and next year. 

This gets us a #2C and our GKr problem is solved. They get an immediate replacement for Henrique, Risto and 2 #1's. Hutton assures a tank.

Now this is interesting, but I can't see JB giving up 2 first-rounders when the Sabres are still (probably) a lottery team.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Nothing like downgrading to upgrade 3 years after the fact. 

You mean 1.5 seasons after the fact.  I don’t disagree, but that doesn’t change the fact that something needs to be done to support this team now.  I’ve been screaming for Jbot to do something since Berglund went AWOL and the experiment failed. I’m screaming again now since the MoJo experiment is failing. This is the time for bold action, not sitting and pouting that ROR is gone.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You mean 1.5 seasons after the fact.  I don’t disagree, but that doesn’t change the fact that something needs to be done to support this team now.  I’ve been screaming for Jbot to do something since Berglund went AWOL and the experiment failed. I’m screaming again now since the MoJo experiment is failing. This is the time for bold action, not sitting and pouting that ROR is gone.

No, I do not. Henrique is not an upgrade to ROR. I mean 3 years, maybe. If Cozens is a 70 point center then huzzah we eventually got an upgrade. 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, I do not. Henrique is not an upgrade to ROR. I mean 3 years, maybe. If Cozens is a 70 point center then huzzah we eventually got an upgrade. 

I’m not trying to upgrade from ROR. Can’t be done right now. I’m trying out make this team better now and hopefully compete for a playoff spot this season and for the future.  I think Henrique will do that this season and for the life of his contract as a temporary 2C and a 3C after that.  Continuing to lament over ROR doesn’t do us any good at this point. 

@nfreeman I think you are over estimating the trade market.  Getting an a young NHL player and a 2nd rd pick is about the going rate.  Hayes went last year for Lemieux and a 1st, Dzingel went for Duclair and 2 2nds.  Hayes and Dzingel are younger guys and still in their prime. The question is whether teams think the 4 year term on Henriques contract is a positive or negative. Given his age, my guess is most will view it as a negative.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't getting an upgrade to O'Reilly at this point for at least 2 more seasons, if even that soon.  But they CAN (& should) get an upgrade right now to what they currently have.  Improve where they are, not where we wish they were.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not trying to upgrade from ROR. Can’t be done right now. I’m trying out make this team better now and hopefully compete for a playoff spot this season and for the future.  I think Henrique will do that this season and for the life of his contract as a temporary 2C and a 3C after that.  Continuing to lament over ROR doesn’t do us any good at this point. 

I agree with your sentiment on ROR, but I will hard pass on Henrique as anything other than a 3C

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I am not lamenting or pouting over ROR. Take your condescending tone elsewhere. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except he is statistically, even on a bad ANA team, a solid 2nd line center as illustrated in a recent Athletic article I posted last week.   

Where's that article? A brief look at his stats he looks like the same thing as Johansson

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Where's that article? A brief look at his stats he looks like the same thing as Johansson

Not even close, especially for a team starving for secondary goal scoring.

https://theathletic.com/1515580/2020/01/07/how-marcus-johansson-compares-to-the-other-30-nhl-second-line-centers/

Henrique 15g 10a 55.3FO% 12 goals at even strength. (Which would be 3rd on the Sabres behind Sam’s 13 and Jack’s 21 - Skinner has 11).

Johansson 6g 15a 38.5FO% 5 goals at even strength 

My goal here is to create a Skinner Henrique MoJo line. Adding Henrique gives us improved goal scoring 5 on 5 and much improved FO acumen. It also improves our RW depth by allowing us to move MoJo to where he is more comfortable at RW.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So we are basically trading for another Johansson level player and hoping he works better plugged into #2 center role for the next 2 years. Nothing like treading water. 

It’s not treading water at all.  Henrique is an upgrade over MoJo at center, allowing MoJo to be upgrade at RW.

Give me a better solution that is possible today, that we can afford asset wise and that will work cap wise.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

My proposal to Anaheim, if they're looking for cap space this summer, and for Buffalo if their goal is to simply make a playoff run:

Bogo, Risto, Hutton and a 1st for Getzlaf and Miller.

The trade is essentially Risto and a 1st for 115+ games of Getzlaf centering Skinner and Johansson.

Anaheim gets Risto who has term, and Bogo is cap space for them this summer. Miller and Hutton are UFA goalie swaps just to get us a slightly better backup.

Getzlaf has a full NMC.  Is he going to waive it to go to Buffalo?

Miller has a MNTC where he can only be traded to 6 teams.  He wants to be on the west coast for his spouse’s work.  Doubt he is coming to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Getzlaf has a full NMC.  Is he going to waive it to go to Buffalo?

Miller has a MNTC where he can only be traded to 6 teams.  He wants to be on the west coast for his spouse’s work.  Doubt he is coming to Buffalo.

I'm not worried about either of those things. Getzlaf gets to play on a better team and Miller is a rental for a few months. He can go back to Cali in the off-season. 

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If only there were a soon to be 29 year old center with 2c skills that is under contract for the next 3 years we could have on this team... if. only.

Like the kind of player that could win the Selke and the Conn Smythe?  But where does one find such a player, and is there any way to land him for spare parts?

Just now, darksabre said:

I'm not worried about either of those things. Getzlaf gets to play on a better team and Miller is a rental for a few months. He can go back to Cali in the off-season. 

Who knows, but Miller has to agree with you.  He has consistently put his personal life ahead of his professional life the past few years.

If Getzlaf wants to go to a good team to try to win, is he picking Buffalo?

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@nfreeman I think you are over estimating the trade market.  Getting an a young NHL player and a 2nd rd pick is about the going rate.  Hayes went last year for Lemieux and a 1st, Dzingel went for Duclair and 2 2nds.  Hayes and Dzingel are younger guys and still in their prime. The question is whether teams think the 4 year term on Henriques contract is a positive or negative. Given his age, my guess is most will view it as a negative.

I think both of the examples you listed support the position that your offer for Henrique is too low.  Both guys' production are roughly equivalent to Henriques', and both garnered higher returns than your proposal for Henrique.  Winnipeg gave up a higher price for Hayes, who was a 30-game rental and is less than 2 years younger than Henrique.  Carolina gave up a better prospect in Duclair than Asplund is, plus 2 2nds.  And you're asking Anaheim to take Bogo.

I like the Henrique idea, and I don't think the Sabres would need to give up a #1, but it would need to be a better prospect than Asplund, we couldn't make them wait a year for the #2 and I don't think they would accept a cap dump, especially since Anaheim is a cash-budget team.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If that is the case why did 14 4th rd picks change hands prior or during the 2109 draft and another 13 changed hands in 2018.

Jbot isn’t giving up a 1st when his team may fall into the draft lottery.

I’d rather move Risto for Henrique in a hockey deal.

Because they are throw always. They give a portion of the fan base a reason to believe there’s more coming down the road.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I think both of the examples you listed support the position that your offer for Henrique is too low.  Both guys' production are roughly equivalent to Henriques', and both garnered higher returns than your proposal for Henrique.  Winnipeg gave up a higher price for Hayes, who was a 30-game rental and is less than 2 years younger than Henrique.  Carolina gave up a better prospect in Duclair than Asplund is, plus 2 2nds.  And you're asking Anaheim to take Bogo.

I like the Henrique idea, and I don't think the Sabres would need to give up a #1, but it would need to be a better prospect than Asplund, we couldn't make them wait a year for the #2 and I don't think they would accept a cap dump, especially since Anaheim is a cash-budget team.

Ana has stated they are willing to accept cap hits this year for picks and prospects.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.