Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Who said the assert Buffalo would be sending meets that description? Only one player is mentioned, the Sabres would be sending 'a defencemen' which could be one of the vets or one of the prospects......

Crawford may be an upgrade.....

He’s making $6 million. Buffalo can’t afford that without sending someone making that much and Chicago can’t afford to retain much salary, this the assumption I made.

12 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Would you trade Miller and 4th pick for Kapanen...either now or in off season.  

Toronto has to trade some of their forwards for defenseman.

Yup.  Make that trade, sign a FA top-6 guy (or trade for another), do something to upgrade over Hutton, and I think this team is in business.

Here is a speculation.

Rangers look like they may move young goalie Alexander Georgiev.  Could Buffalo get involved?  NYR are rumored to be looking for a forward prospect.  Mitts or Thompson in a deal for Georgiev, then send Hutton somewhere for a 7th or whatever?

I feel like Ullmark/Georgiev could be a nice potential tandem for a couple years.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/new-york-rangers-reportedly-listening-on-offers-for-goaltender-georgiev-033530203.html

Edited by Curt

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

As a hypothetical, if SJS asked you for Mitts and 2 2nds for Couture would you do it?

I'm usually the "don't take expensive contracts for 30+ players" guy...but I make that trade yesterday. Couture is still great, fills a ginormous area of need, and brings plenty of playoff bonafides. Yes please. If he sucks in 4 years, well, we're looking like we might suck for the next 4 without major moves, so I'll take that risk.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Would you trade Miller and 4th pick for Kapanen...either now or in off season.  

Toronto has to trade some of their forwards for defenseman.

I don't want to move Miller, but if Krueger is just going to keep rotating him to the press box, then yea I make this trade.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Here is a speculation.

Rangers look like they may move young goalie Alexander Georgiev.  Could Buffalo get involved?  NYR are rumored to be looking for a forward prospect.  Mitts or Thompson in a deal for Georgiev, then send Hutton somewhere for a 7th or whatever?

I feel like Ullmark/Georgiev could be a nice potential tandem for a couple years.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/new-york-rangers-reportedly-listening-on-offers-for-goaltender-georgiev-033530203.html

I don't think we should be giving up assets at the forward position right now, if at all. One of the biggest issues with this team is forward depth, and while goaltending is also an issue, I think Ullmark and Hutton are serviceable until Luukonnen is ready.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Here is a speculation.

Not sure why the Sabres would be interested with UPL on his way.

3 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

Not sure why the Sabres would be interested with UPL on his way.

Because maybe they want decent goaltending until he is ready?  UPL has not even played a game in the AHL yet.  I don’t think Buffalo should just sit on their hands regarding goaltending until 2021-22.

Edit:  Oops, I forgot UPL did play one game in Roch last year.  Can we bring him up to the Sabres yet?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, NAF said:

I don't think we should be giving up assets at the forward position right now, if at all. One of the biggest issues with this team is forward depth, and while goaltending is also an issue, I think Ullmark and Hutton are serviceable until Luukonnen is ready.

Yes, I agree about the lack of forward depth.  I was just throwing it out there as an idea to improve goaltending, not so much set in stone on the offer.

Just trying to give an alternative to the chants to call up Hamburgler.

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

UPL has proven nothing, he might never play a game in the NHL.  Goalie proapects are largely unknowns.

In that case Georgiev hasn't proven anything yet either. So you're willing to trade assets we don't have for him?

FWIW, i forget where i read it, the team to watch for Georgiev is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

1 hour ago, NAF said:

Yeah, so, if Mitts and Thompson are the forward "depth" we want to protect from trading, just toss away the next decade of Sabres' hockey.

6 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

In that case Georgiev hasn't proven anything yet either. So you're willing to trade assets we don't have for him?

FWIW, i forget where i read it, the team to watch for Georgiev is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He has played at a higher level than UPL.  It all depends on the price, doesn’t it?

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

He has played at a higher level than UPL.  It all depends on the price, doesn’t it?

Yeah it does, if the NYR want to be a charity and give him up for CJ Smith, then i'm all in. But they're not.

Yeah, he's played at a higher level, but both have had good paths and neither of them have really accomplished anything yet. If you're trading for Georgiev, you're trading for potential or for what he may still do.

We don't even know if Georgiev is an upgrade over Ullmark?

16 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

Yeah it does, if the NYR want to be a charity and give him up for CJ Smith, then i'm all in. But they're not.

Yeah, he's played at a higher level, but both have had good paths and neither of them have really accomplished anything yet. If you're trading for Georgiev, you're trading for potential or for what he may still do.

We don't even know if Georgiev is an upgrade over Ullmark?

This is not really the point.  The point would be an upgrade over Hutton.

Most likely neither Ullmark or Georgiev is a 60 game goalie.  There are only like 5 of those in the league.  It takes 2 guys most of the time.  The idea would be for them to split starts, each playing between 35-45 games.

And then in like 2021-22, when UPL is ready to be the consistent shallow half of a time share, you can move on from one of Ullmark/Georgiev.

I just don’t think it reasonable to continue getting sunk be Hutton’s goaltending much longer, and Ullmark can’t shoulder the load by himself.

Edited by Curt

9 hours ago, Curt said:

This is not really the point.  The point would be an upgrade over Hutton.

Most likely neither Ullmark or Georgiev is a 60 game goalie.  There are only like 5 of those in the league.  It takes 2 guys most of the time.  The idea would be for them to split starts, each playing between 35-45 games.

And then in like 2021-22, when UPL is ready to be the consistent shallow half of a time share, you can move on from one of Ullmark/Georgiev.

I just don’t think it reasonable to continue getting sunk be Hutton’s goaltending much longer, and Ullmark can’t shoulder the load by himself.

Its typical Buffalo fan reaction, you can't make a trade for someone cause they would have to give up a precious pick or prospect, and you can't pick up a player that could block someone from being forced into action too soon. When I heard about the Rangers looking to move him I thought Buffalo could be a good spot. They need to move on from Hutton so why not try and get a someone like him that could become something. Is it really that bad to be in a potential situation 3-4 years from know where they have to decide between which 2-3 goalies they are going to keep? Its not like someone can't be traded for something. If he works out, great, they have him and Ullmark as a tandem until UPL is ready. at that point they can keep him the AHL until they can move one of the others and not worry about forcing him in because they are desperate for someone. Ullmark has shown he can be a decent backup, but not the franchise starter many hoped he would become. Hutton would struggle to stop a beach ball.

At some point the Sabres have to start turning things around and get competitive  while trying to ice a good team, hoping and waiting on the future to develop is just going to keep setting them back and the guys people want around are going to start asking to be moved. They need to start making some tough moves to acquire talent and maybe move a few of the more valuable assets waiting to be developed so they can upgrade the top of the roster rather then the bottom of it. They do love acquiring guys to bolster the bottom 6, usually hoping some of them will become top 6 guys.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.