Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

"Pegula had his ideas who he wanted off the team during his initial interviews/meetings with Botterill, but he agreed to let Botterill make his own assessment of room and see what happens with a new staff. ROR Name was out there at the 2018 Deadline, but the his cost was astronomical at the time.  The TH Incident pissed him off, but the locker room continuing to be a CF along with Lost My Love For the Game was the catalyst for trade the guy before July 1st."

I have subscribed to Brawndo's theory above for some time.  My personal belief, albeit speculative is that the locker room CF was worse than we may think and the future face of the franchise was Jack so out went Ryan. ..

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

"Pegula had his ideas who he wanted off the team during his initial interviews/meetings with Botterill, but he agreed to let Botterill make his own assessment of room and see what happens with a new staff. ROR Name was out there at the 2018 Deadline, but the his cost was astronomical at the time.  The TH Incident pissed him off, but the locker room continuing to be a CF along with Lost My Love For the Game was the catalyst for trade the guy before July 1st."

I have subscribed to Brawndo's theory above for some time.  My personal belief, albeit speculative is that the locker room CF was worse than we may think and the future face of the franchise was Jack so out went Ryan. ..

Well the locker room has obviously improved since O'Reilly's and Kane's departures ?.  The Sabres have really vaulted to the top of the league with their improved locker room morale.

This is why people want the Sabres to hire a hockey czar, because when the owner comes up with an idiotic idea, the czar talks him back to sanity.

Since the Sabres don't have a czar, Botterill should have explained the math of removing O'Reilly after trading Kane (losing 60 goals from the worst offense in the league), and fought Pegula's desire to trade O'Reilly, if that's how it actually went down.

Hiring a coach with a strong locker room presence should have been a high priority for Botterill, considering the rumored issues in the locker room.  A coach with experience working with NHL egos would have done a better job than Housley.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Pegula had his ideas who he wanted off the team during his initial interviews/meetings with Botterill, but he agreed to let Botterill make his own assessment of room and see what happens with a new staff. ROR Name was out there at the 2018 Deadline, but the his cost was astronomical at the time.  The TH Incident pissed him off, but the locker room continuing to be a CF along with Lost My Love For the Game was the catalyst for trade the guy before July 1st. 

This team would be better off in a proven, more capable GM’s Hands. 

My concern is that after Todd McClellan told the Pegulas you have a reputation around the NHL for firing people, that the only  replacement willing to take the job will suck just as bad 

Rookie GM Brandon Beane seems to be doing okay working with Pegula. I understand everyone's desire to default to experience, but really, just get the right guy. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Rookie GM Brandon Beane seems to be doing okay working with Pegula. I understand everyone's desire to default to experience, but really, just get the right guy. 

Two different sports, requiring different skill sets.  An NFL GM builds his team mainly through the draft and free agency.  A GM with good scouting skills makes a good GM. 

Because the NHL draft is riskier than the NFL draft (drafting 18 year olds vs 20 year olds), and the NHL free agency pool is much shallower than the NFL pool, NHL GMs need to use the trade market much more than NFL GMs do.

And experience is an asset when evaluating the trade market.

When reviewing Botterill's record, he's done okay in the draft; he's okay when it comes to free agency; but he's been terrible when it comes to the trade market.  He got too little in return from the Kane and O'Reilly trades.  He made targets of mediocre players like Sobotka, Sheary, and Sobotka. 

He's been unable use the trade market to resolve the glut at defensemen, which calls into question his ability to manage the salary cap.  (If Krueger scratches Bogosian and Miller, that's close to $8 million sitting in the press box.  That money could pay for a 2nd center.)

So having a GM that has better experience in the trade market would help the Sabres, where it really isn't needed by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope we start winning soon, mainly because I like wins and they make me happy. 

But also, so we can stop talking about about freaking ROR. Every damn thread, every damn issue comes back to it. IT SUCKED, BOTTERIL SUCKS. 

Let's focus on the current sucking and leave the past sucking behind..... That's also what she said. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I hope we start winning soon, mainly because I like wins and they make me happy. 

But also, so we can stop talking about about freaking ROR. Every damn thread, every damn issue comes back to it. IT SUCKED, BOTTERIL SUCKS. 

Let's focus on the current sucking and leave the past sucking behind..... That's also what she said. 

It's like my ex wife. She is keeps bringing up how I banged her sister. That was so 2008, let it go.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Brandon has done well but , to be fair, I'm not sure that being a GM in hockey isn't more difficult. Drafting in hockey is more speculative than in football when you're looking at 23 year olds. 

31 minutes ago, Radar said:

Brandon has done well but , to be fair, I'm not sure that being a GM in hockey isn't more difficult. Drafting in hockey is more speculative than in football when you're looking at 23 year olds. 

Yes, in the NFL you are pretty much drafting a finished product, but not always whereas the NHL drafting always seems to be about potential and development. There is no time for development in NFL as careers are so short. 

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Botterill has handicapped his drafting ability by ignoring 3 leagues of talent outside of round 1. It's asinine. It would be the equivalent of Bean saying the PAC 12 has trash defenses so I'm not drafting defenders from there. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, jad1 said:

Two different sports, requiring different skill sets.  An NFL GM builds his team mainly through the draft and free agency.  A GM with good scouting skills makes a good GM. 

Because the NHL draft is riskier than the NFL draft (drafting 18 year olds vs 20 year olds), and the NHL free agency pool is much shallower than the NFL pool, NHL GMs need to use the trade market much more than NFL GMs do.

And experience is an asset when evaluating the trade market.

When reviewing Botterill's record, he's done okay in the draft; he's okay when it comes to free agency; but he's been terrible when it comes to the trade market.  He got too little in return from the Kane and O'Reilly trades.  He made targets of mediocre players like Sobotka, Sheary, and Sobotka. 

He's been unable use the trade market to resolve the glut at defensemen, which calls into question his ability to manage the salary cap.  (If Krueger scratches Bogosian and Miller, that's close to $8 million sitting in the press box.  That money could pay for a 2nd center.)

So having a GM that has better experience in the trade market would help the Sabres, where it really isn't needed by the Bills.

Average age of an NFL draft selection is 21.7,  which strengthens your original point. 

I’m going to respect @Wyldnwoody44 and not rehash the past.  Suffice to say the trades for our surplus D’men need to be acceptable.  

30 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Cat was a last-minute throw-in in the O’Reilly trade.  Man we got fleeced!

That dude is so credible… He doesn’t know if it’s his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend. Sounds like a solid piece of investigating. And why the hell are you following NHL players girlfriend or ex-girlfriend’s??? Smells creepy to me. very creepy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

That dude is so credible… He doesn’t know if it’s his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend. Sounds like a solid piece of investigating. And why the hell are you following NHL players girlfriend or ex-girlfriend’s??? Smells creepy to me. very creepy.

Could have been a retweet he saw. 

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Thing is, all the NFL GM's get to look at mainly seniors and a few juniors, and all the NHL GM's are looking at mainly 18 year olds.  All 32/31 within their particular realms are given the same parameters to work with.  It's how each fares relative to his peers that allows the best to bring in enough talent to win.

Beane, with a limited body of work, seems to be one of the best of the 32 as he and McDermott took a very unconventional approach (sneaking into the playoffs while working towards ~$80MM in dead cap a year later while solidly making the playoffs with $26MM in free cap and heading into the next season with ~$90MM in cap space is rather unvonventional) to have at least moderate success and could have a championship run window opening.

Botterill, with only a slightly larger body of work as shown to be middling at best, but with a massive asterisk on his portfolio.  His lack of making THE move we ALL know is necessary to put this year's team on a trajectory of just getting in rather than just missing is maddening.  But it doesn't guarantee he's not on the right track overall.  (Though it certainly doesn't mean he's on the right track, either.)  

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Is Instagram Model now some sort of occupation?

Apparently so, there is also something called influencers, who have a certain number of followers and are paid to promote products through their social media accounts. 

This includes a 9 year old who’s mother started filming him opening toys and put it on You Tube. 

He now makes 26 Million Dollars a year, through various sponsors, his own toy line and television series. 

Further to the JB evaluation discussion, here's something I saw today:

Fun fact: The Colorado Avalanche have only drafted 5 players on their current roster - Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Jost, and Makar - the rest were trades, free agents, or waiver claims

Kinda makes one realize that other GMs have been able to far outpace JB's results in terms of finding quality contributors from around the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

Fun fact: The Colorado Avalanche have only drafted 5 players on their current roster - Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Jost, and Makar - the rest were trades, free agents, or waiver claims

Kinda makes one realize that other GMs have been able to far outpace JB's results in terms of finding quality contributors from around the NHL.

They traded away people they drafted to get their roster though. Barie, Duchene, O'Reilly...kinda a catch 22 there

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They traded away people they drafted to get their roster though. Barie, Duchene, O'Reilly...kinda a catch 22 there

They have drafted well and done well with their trades for the most part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.