Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

JBot needs to do something, like yesterday.

Hindsight if ROR and Kane were kept our top 2 line might have looked pretty solid, heck they all might have been ok

Reinhart - Eichel - Olofsson

Kane - ROR - Skinner

Vesey - Johansson - Asplund

Z - Larrsson - Okposo

That actually might have been a halfway decent team.

Edited by Ross Rhea

1 hour ago, Ross Rhea said:

JBot needs to do something, like yesterday.

Hindsight if ROR and Kane were kept our top 2 line might have looked pretty solid, heck they all might have been ok

Reinhart - Eichel - Olofsson

Kane - ROR - Skinner

Vesey - Johansson - Asplund

Z - Larrsson - Okposo

That actually might have been a halfway decent team.

Now make up the D and goalies.

Now ... Does that team realistically fit under the cap? 

27 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Now make up the D and goalies.

Now ... Does that team realistically fit under the cap? 

Yup, get rid of Bogo and they are right at $80 m. 12 skaters (all the guys I said earlier),  7 dmen (current guys minus Bogo) and  2 goalies, obviously there would need to be more bodies but it could have been done, letting some dead wood go, trading some for bags of pucks but yeah, it could have been done. JBot is a cap master right, at least that is what was sold to us.  

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

He's still a solid point scorer. Don't think weakening the team is a good solution. Would leave us looking for 2 top 6 forwards. What could we offer that would net us that??

No one ever has an answer for trading Reinhart. It's just do it. You'd never get equal return and he's the only top 6 rw we have. 

This is not the year for trades. We're not in a position to make playoffs. Any moves should be minor not big of significant just to improve this year. Unfortunately many think JBott isn't the guy to build going forward and I've moved closer to that position myself. I have a hard time finding four guys on this team I would not be willing to see gone.

Sabres haves turned into a cellar dwelling, almost laugh when they win type of team.  How many more seasons before Eichel pushes for a trade?  Botterill lucked into Dahlin.... landed Skinner because of circumstances, and got raped by the Blues in the O’Reilly trade.  The idea of the winning days being right around the corner has gotten hard to believe.  

Edited by GoPre
  • Like (+1) 3

For everybody pushing the 'Eichel will ask for a trade pretty soon' narrative, can you please explain how exactly he goes about doing that?

He's under contract for 6 more years.  What exactly do you expect him to do to force that trade?  Hold his breath until he turns blue?

He's not forcing a trade anytime in the next 2 seasons; and this team will finally at that point at the worst have a critical mass of talent to at least be relevant.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

For everybody pushing the 'Eichel will ask for a trade pretty soon' narrative, can you please explain how exactly he goes about doing that?

He's under contract for 6 more years.  What exactly do you expect him to do to force that trade?  Hold his breath until he turns blue?

He's not forcing a trade anytime in the next 2 seasons; and this team will finally at that point at the worst have a critical mass of talent to at least be relevant.

It is well known the Pegula's are very accommodating to those players who wish to leave Buffalo.

Or, he could just say at the end of the season that he's lost the love of the game.

All kidding aside (or are we?), if Jack's had enough and he goes to management/ownership wanting out, they aren't going to enslave him to servitude in Buffalo, that's not their style. The truly baffling part of all this, is that no one is pushing it, we are merely stating it wouldn't surprise us and some of us, myself included, actually expect it. After all, is their some arbitrary number of years of the contract Jack is expected to fulfill without thinking at all about his overall career? Honestly, many of us couldn't blame him if he wanted out, especially given the mess this organization has become, and let's be honest, it is a mess.

As for a critical mass of talent showing up, I've at least seen this before, when we got Eichel and Reinhart. We had plethora of picks on top of them, many of which were moved as picks or just didn't make the NHL cut. This team is in bad shape imo. And that's just the take I have given the events that have unfolded over the past 5 years, 5 years of which at the end of this season will be Eichel's 5th as well. I know I wouldn't be the least bit happy with what's unfolding here in Buffalo.

29 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'm hearing a deal w Jersey involving one of our D is being discussed

Knowing JBOT, there are only 2 Swedish forwards on the team, Boqvist and Bratt.  Which one does he want?

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I wouldn't  mind Bratt.

Another small forward as soft as butter.  He'd fit right in but is that what we need?  I don't want our players to play "out of character", I want them to have that character in the first place.

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, Scottysabres said:

Admittedly I'm only going off of what I've seen when he plays the Sabres, he just looks like he has a pep in his step against us. Then again, your reminding me just how many players look better against our Sabres. ?

Are you thinking of Gallagher?  As I can't remember a minute of Galchenyuk's time against the Sabres.  

Tick tock. Tick tock.

I know it's not super common for significant deals to be made at this point of the year, and even less common for those trades to involve quality centers. But Botterill dug his grave and he has to figure out a way to dig out. No sympathy. The team is still close enough to the playoffs where this thing can be salvaged. Get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Tick tock. Tick tock.

I know it's not super common for significant deals to be made at this point of the year, and even less common for those trades to involve quality centers. But Botterill dug his grave and he has to figure out a way to dig out. No sympathy. The team is still close enough to the playoffs where this thing can be salvaged. Get it done. 

Between the portion of the season where it's too early to write any team off, to the "there's still time to make a deal" portion, to the point where all the fans check out, that "wow, the GM set the season up for failure and then watched as it burned down in front of him" sweet spot is actually kinda small. I'm sure this factored into their calculations. 

Edited by Thorny

I wouldn't expect any major moves from Botterill. I don't believe he sees the 50th anniversary season as anything more than a promotional plug for the organization as he continues to wait for …………………… ??????????????

Hell, I have no idea what he's waiting for. He re-signed a majority of these plugs hoping for what? A different result?

At this point I'm just going to call it what it is, Botterill's a straight out idiot or there is some super secret master plan to win the Cup next season...…………….

I'll go with the obvious, he's an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I wouldn't expect any major moves from Botterill. I don't believe he sees the 50th anniversary season as anything more than a promotional plug for the organization as he continues to wait for …………………… ??????????????

Hell, I have no idea what he's waiting for. He re-signed a majority of these plugs hoping for what? A different result?

At this point I'm just going to call it what it is, Botterill's a straight out idiot or there is some super secret master plan to win the Cup next season...…………….

I'll go with the obvious, he's an idiot.

Which "plugs" did you not want him to re-sign this off-season?

Skinner, Ullmark, Girgensons, McCabe, or Rodrigues?  (OK, get the last 1, but he actually played pretty well last year.) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.