Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t get why people say Scandella is useless?  I think he has played well this season.   He is a left hand shot, we have mostly righty’s.    

I think we get fleeced in a straight up trade for Frolik.   He is 3rd line player that has many miles on him, making him a 4th line player on a good team.  He is no better than Zemgus, Okposo or Vessey.   

Agreed, hard to find anything that makes sense about that trade scenario.  If we move Scandella, it better be for a younger forward.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

How are the Sabres going to get to the playoffs with only Eichel producing with consistency?

Simple:  Ebbs and flows of the season.  Eich will inevitably cool off.  Kyle Okposo has 3 goals in 6 games.  Someone else will light up.  Even without roster moves, the team the Sabres are today won't be the team they are in January.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we all agree that this team isn't "there" yet. I do feel we're getting better and are more competitive. Also know we need to add to this roster and I'm fairly confident the GM agrees. Now the question is are there any players available that would impact this team at a cost that we can pay. It's too easy to sit in my recliner and say make a move. Fact is impact forwards aren't available as much as we would like to  think. The Hall trade shows me that the cost for a rental is more than our team should pay just to challenge for a playoff spot. Big mistake was the ROR trade that set us back but that's done and can't get that back. Now it looks to me like we are looking at the off season to continue the build. I know as fans we don't like to hear that. We, I believe, have shown improvement overall. Botterill made a big mistake with one trade but hopefully will not make another one to pacify fans just wanting to make a trade.

They could use a forward or two, but I think not splitting up Eichel and Reinhart is holding them back even more right now. 

People are harping on Botterill for standing pat, but I’m not that concerned about being one injury away from Tennyson led defense corps again. 

Edited by triumph_communes

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They could use a forward or two, but I think not splitting up Eichel and Reinhart is holding them back even more right now. 

People are harping on Botterill for standing pat, but I’m not that concerned about being one injury away from Tennyson led defense corps again. 

If we trade away two defense men then we're one injury away from having to call up Pilut, Borgen, Gilmour or Nelson - all guys with NHL experience. We have a glut of D and should be exploring all options to swap one or two of them for forward help.

What's more concerning is that we're one Eichel injury away from having ZERO offense.  The UFA market next year isn't great, he's going to have to address the roster via trades.

38 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Apparently the Leafs and Devils are talking.

Subban ?

unfortunately no link. Talk radio.

I have a hard time picturing the Devils taking on any of Subban's salary, especially with two more years left on the deal.  So Toronto would have to free up $9 million worth of space to make that one happen.  That one would have to get very creative in order to happen.

59 minutes ago, shrader said:

I have a hard time picturing the Devils taking on any of Subban's salary, especially with two more years left on the deal.  So Toronto would have to free up $9 million worth of space to make that one happen.  That one would have to get very creative in order to happen.

Nylander?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I should have added Simmons. They did mention him too so there’s that. Imagine the leafs adding him while Botts searches for multi skilled twinkle toes.lol

• Haha (+1) 2

So because we don’t hear anything coming out of JB’s camp, he’s doing nothing? That’s rich.

I would safely assume almost every, if not every GM in the league is making and receiving offers of all shapes and sizes for not only their NHL teams, but also their farm teams. It takes two GMs (who don’t want to be fleeced) to make a deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

How are the Sabres going to get to the playoffs with only Eichel producing with consistency? That is the question I have for botts.

Probably aren't, and I don't think JBot cares.  Matter of fact I suspect he'd rather we were improved/competitive but miss and get a higher pick. Next year would be his playoff plan imo but of course he cant' ever say that.

We can make the playoffs, but the good has to stay good (eg. Jack) and we also need Skinner to break out of his slump and go on a 2nd half run, Sam has to play like a first liner who deserves his money next year, Dahlin has to get back to scoring/assisting, and Ullmark has to be spectacular. You get all that added and it's possible, but I suspect in reality we are too soft for the second half and stretch runs and will drop off badly when the games get hard and tougher physically as they always do closer to the playoffs.

So it looks like Down Goes Brown interviewed Botterill:

From the headlines

The biggest news of the week was the Taylor Hall trade, as the Devils sent the 2018 Hart Trophy winner to the Arizona Coyotes for a package of prospects and picks. It was a blockbuster trade, the kind that we rarely see at this time of year.

In fact, trades like this are so rare that many of today’s NHL GMs are reportedly confused and frightened. This is a difficult time for them, and we want to help. So based on discussions with several front offices around the league, we’ve put together this helpful FAQ for NHL GMs in the wake of the Taylor Hall trade.

Q: What is a “trade”?
A: A trade is when two NHL GMs get together and decide to exchange assets to improve their team’s competitive outlook. Think of it as one of the tools in your GM’s toolbox. Some of your colleagues use it often. Most of you act like you’ve never heard of it.

Q: If there was just a big trade, does that mean it’s already the trade deadline?
A: No. That’s the last week of February. It is not the trade deadline right now.

Q: So it’s the draft weekend, the only other time of the year that NHL GMs are legally allowed to make trades?
A: No. It’s mid-December. Despite what you may have heard, GMs are actually allowed to make trades at this time of year too. It’s an obscure and rarely used loophole in the rules, but it’s true.

Q: Does this mean that the NHL has canceled the salary cap, which as we all know makes trading too hard?
A: No. Two GMs just worked together to figure out a way to make a trade work under the cap. In this case, they used salary retention, a rule that has been in place since 2013 and made it possible for a team that is virtually out of projected space to acquire a former MVP without running into cap problems.

Q: Wait, former MVP? So Taylor Hall is really good?
A: He’s a very good player, yes. Some would even rank him among the very best at his position.

Q: Why would the Coyotes want to trade for somebody like that?
A: I know this is going to sound confusing, but they decided that they wanted to improve their chances at making a playoff run and maybe even winning the Stanley Cup. So they went out and tried to make their team better. By making a midseason trade.

Q: WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING?
A: Take deep breaths, you’ll be OK.

Q: I am not going to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
A: That’s … not actually a question.

Q: I know, but if I don’t say it at least once every few sentences I turn into dust and blow away.
A: Oh don’t worry, we know.

Q: Oh lord, does this mean that my fan base and local media are going to expect me to occasionally do my job too?
A: Maybe at first, but it will blow over quickly. Just remind them that only one team wins the Stanley Cup every year so there’s really no point to even trying to improve. That usually gets everyone off your back.

Q: Hey just curious, but do you ever feel like you lean on the sarcasm thing a little too heavily?
A: Who, me? Noooo

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.