Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't want to give up Reino, but I would probably trade him straight up for Laine.  If the Sabres are giving up Risto too, then I also need Ehlers or someone like that.

Laine's ceiling is probably higher than Skinner's, but Skinner is a proven borderline-great player.  I wouldn't trade Skinner for Laine.

disgusted nick miller GIF by New Girl

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I say again:  at least 20, and probably 26, NHL GMs would trade Reino to get Laine.

Thankfully as of right now, Botterill is 1 of the 5 who wouldn't do that. Mainly because it is a terrible trade. 

Even with the numbers, Reinhart outscored Laine last season.

Laine: 30g, 20a, 82games - 15ppg, 8ppa

Reinhart: 22g, 43a, 82games - 2ppg, 12ppa

Reinhart outscored Laine in goals and points at 5v5 last season by a lot. Reinhart has trended up in every season he has played. Laine has not. Laine is great on the PP but at 5v5 he scores at less rates than Reinhart and honestly I am more concerned with 5v5 play than with our pp1 now that Skinner, Eichel, and Dahlin are on it. 

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Truth be told, my reservation in the idea of trading for Laine is not because I don't think he can resolve his current issues, but because at his likely cost, I need to get a player that simply doesn't have those issues. 

But if we did acquire him... how is our second line not Johansson - Reinhart - Laine? Have Laine on his off wing if you want Johansson playing center maybe. If those guys can cover his tendency to be a black hole, while also using his ability to shoot the puck....that's two dangerous hockey lines, with Olofsson and Mitts licking their lips behind them.

Johansson is known for his transition, Reinhart for his ability to find his linemates and be where he's supposed to, and Laine for putting pucks in the net when his teammates put them on his stick.

100% this. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Risto, Joker and their 2020 #1 for Laine.

Who says no — JB, Chevy or neither?

I say no fast that the phone hasn't even been invented yet that call gets made on. I breached the space time continuum to say no before they even asked. What a god awful trade from the Sabres end. Absolutely awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think Laine's contract status suppresses his trade value. It would be one thing if he was signed and we knew what he was going to cost.

Winnipeg isn't going to get as much as they'd like to for him given that he's not even under contract to play this season yet.

So I think "unrealistic" trade proposals for Laine get a little leeway because of the uncertainty involved in this scenario.

Any Laine trade discussion really needs to include his expected contract.

Who here wants Laine at 8 x $10mil right now?

I think besides Risto the Jets would want some sort of prospect that helps them for the near future.

I would be willing to part ways with Erod or Thompson.

Good value trade-

Risto, Sheary, ERod, and 2021 conditional 2nd rd pick (pick becomes first round if Laine reaches 30 goals and 60 pts in first two seasons, and Buffalo makes playoffs in at least one of first two years) for Laine and Lowry.  Deal would be contingent on Laine being signed to a two year $6.5 million prove it bridge deal.

Line up-

Skinner- Eichel- Olofson

Laine- Johanson- Reinhart

Vesey- Mitts- Okposo

Larsson- Lowry- Girgensons

Before anyone flips out that that is not enough for Laine...Taylor Hall was traded for Adam Larsson...Hall is much better then Laine and Risto is better then Larsson!!! 

5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think besides Risto the Jets would want some sort of prospect that helps them for the near future.

I would be willing to part ways with Erod or Thompson.

Good value trade-

Risto, Sheary, ERod, and 2021 conditional 2nd rd pick (pick becomes first round if Laine reaches 30 goals and 60 pts in first two seasons, and Buffalo makes playoffs in at least one of first two years) for Laine and Lowry.  Deal would be contingent on Laine being signed to a two year $6.5 million prove it bridge deal.

Line up-

Skinner- Eichel- Olofson

Laine- Johanson- Reinhart

Vesey- Mitts- Okposo

Larsson- Lowry- Girgensons

Before anyone flips out that that is not enough for Laine...Taylor Hall was traded for Adam Larsson...Hall is much better then Laine and Risto is better then Larsson!!! 

I actually think that is an overpayment for Laine. That's a 2nd or 3rd round pick and nothing higher. I also don't give them both Sheary and Erod. They get one. Laine has major questions surrounding his game. 

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

Personally I would rather have Mantha from Detroit before Laine.

Absolutely. Mantha is under contract this year and isn't going to command nearly what Laine will.

We have to pay Dahlin in a few years. We probably need to pay Sam and Casey if they stick around. And if some of these other players work out we'll need to pay them too.

I just don't see how Laine fits here contract wise.

I don't want Kyle Okposo Redux.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Absolutely. Mantha is under contract this year and isn't going to command nearly what Laine will.

We have to pay Dahlin in a few years. We probably need to pay Sam and Casey if they stick around. And if some of these other players work out we'll need to pay them too.

I just don't see how Laine fits here contract wise.

Don't overpay wingers and draft well. 

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I say no fast that the phone hasn't even been invented yet that call gets made on. I breached the space time continuum to say no before they even asked. What a god awful trade from the Sabres end. Absolutely awful. 

And do you think Chevy says yes?  If he says no, why? 

If Laine is traded, do you think the return will be greater or lesser than Risto, Joker and a 2020 #1?

The Laine situation looks to me like an opportunity to pick up a young potential superstar whose floor is Thomas Vanek at a discounted price due to his having a down season and his team making a foolish decision due to salary cap and other pressures.  But you're not getting him for ERod and a #2 or other Roy-for-Malkin proposal

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If Laine is traded, do you think the return will be greater or lesser than Risto, Joker and a 2020 #1?

The Laine situation looks to me like an opportunity to pick up a young potential superstar whose floor is Thomas Vanek at a discounted price due to his having a down season and his team making a foolish decision due to salary cap and other pressures.  But you're not getting him for ERod and a #2 or other Roy-for-Malkin proposal

Why would Chevy say yes? 

So Winnipeg is about to have a serious RHD issue come up. Their current RHD is Byfuglien, Poink, and Niku. Now Byfuglien is obviously good but Risto immediately gives them an upgrade at either 2d or 3d on the right. Add into that their prospect pool. They have 1 legit RHD, Luke Green. Jokiharju would easily be above him and could slot into a spot this year or next year bumping Niku. Let's say they keep Joki down a year. That gives them Byfuglien, RIsto, Pionk with Niku in reserve this season. That gives them Byfuglien, Risto, and either Pionk or Joker next season. Hell we could see Risto maybe on the 3rd pairing. It really solidifies that right side. 

The 2020 first is perfect for them because they can draft a forward in a projected weak defensive draft that could be better at 5v5 hockey than Laine in 2 years. Also the trade does nothing to screw up their cap or really their team with Ehlers and Connor there. Chevy is already aware that Laine has 5v5 issues and also a major contract ask either this year or after his bridge. It makes sense for the defense to make the trade, it makes sense for the future to make the trade. 

Do I think the return will be lower?

Yes

Edited by LGR4GM

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Risto, Joker and their 2020 #1 for Laine.

Who says no — JB, Chevy or neither?

Good lord, I would quit paying attention to the Sabres if they made that deal.

Laine is worth Risto.. and that's it.  Nothing more.  And that's if you even want Laine.  Too many question marks...

• Like (+1) 3

What is all this disslike with Laine ? 

I mean, he is legit worth while in my opinion and that is because i really think you could work on him. Get him a good personal coach that can get his speed up and we have a truly legit weapon in him. Moneywise, i do not know. 

If we could afford him, fk yes for my part. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Floor is Thomas Vanek is interesting. Are you sure his ceiling isn’t Thomas Vanek?

Their stats after three NHL seasons are remarkably similar. Laine has 6 more goals, Vanek 22 more assists.

They are both amazing goal scorers with gifted hands, kinda slow and kinda questionable defensively. Thomas was a better playmaker and a more courageous player.

Would you have traded prime Bodger, a rookie Brian Campbell and a first for a young Vanek? That’s kinda what your deal looks like to me.

Bodger and a 1st for Vanek I’d do, but I wouldn’t throw in a prospect who projects as Campbell.

• Like (+1) 1

Laine for Risto+small add is his value right now. It’s end of offseason and a big cap hit-“, coming off a year with off ice and attitude problems. Value is lower than RORs was day before the deadline. 

I wouldnt be surprised if its McCabe or Rodrigues going the other way. But with everything Botterill has done this off season, both of them are expendable. 

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Laine for Risto+small add is his value right now. It’s end of offseason and a big cap hit-“, coming off a year with off ice and attitude problems. Value is lower than RORs was day before the deadline. 

I wouldnt be surprised if its McCabe or Rodrigues going the other way. But with everything Botterill has done this off season, both of them are expendable. 

McCabe is expendable? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.