Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean that's definitely what it's going to cost though

FWIW I just don't see it happening 

It will fascinating to see how it plays out.

The Sabres got Skinner as cheaply as they did because his NTC and pending UFA status depressed the market.

Laine’s contract demands, potential attitude problem and incomplete game will depress the market as well, but how much?

The larger the contract the smaller the price teams will pay - especially late in the summer with so many teams hard against the cap.

I think the Jets will be looking at an either/or situation. Some team giving up the equivalent of Risto and Cozens and a first and signing him to a four-year $35 million deal? Don’t see teams lining up for that.

Unless the Jets are willing to wait him out, he’s kinda got Winnipeg over a barrel, and it doesn’t feel like Matthews and Nylander on Management’s side, I kinda get the sense they don’t believe in Laine any more.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It will fascinating to see how it plays out.

The Sabres got Skinner as cheaply as they did because his NTC and pending UFA status depressed the market.

Laine’s contract demands, potential attitude problem and incomplete game will depress the market as well, but how much?

The larger the contract the smaller the price teams will pay - especially late in the summer with so many teams hard against the cap.

I think the Jets will be looking at an either/or situation. Some team giving up the equivalent of Risto and Cozens and a first and signing him to a four-year $35 million deal? Don’t see teams lining up for that.

Unless the Jets are willing to wait him out, he’s kinda got Winnipeg over a barrel, and it doesn’t feel like Matthews and Nylander on Management’s side, I kinda get the sense they don’t believe in Laine any more.

I agree with your analysis. I don't think Laine will be cost prohibitive, be it the trade pieces or the contract. Hasn't there been reporting out of Winnipeg that he wants a bridge? I think he bets on himself in hopes of truly cashing in on the next deal. 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Warming up to a Risto-based trade for Laine as long as the add isn't anything more than a prospect I don't really care about and a pick that's not in the 1st round

Yeah, I know that won't do it probably 

I was just saying this exact thing to a friend of mine. What I’m willing to five likely isn’t enough, but were it, I like Laine. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would be very sad if we traded Reinhart for Laine straight across, never mind packaged with Risto.

At least we’re both consistent ?

Is Laine a better player than Skinner?

What? No, it’s not even close. For me it just comes down to the fact that Skinner scores at ES and Laine picks up a heavy portion of his on the PP. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

One of the reasons a deal built around Laine for Risto is so fascinating is the absolutely enormous lack of consensus on how good each player is.

I think that consensus has started to solidify, thus the two being on the block to begin with. Both were analytically bad last season. Laine just has more potential. But to your point each will still have a decent base of more traditional thinking behind them: grit and goals. 

Perhaps to your point, both seem to occupy a very similar position in the eye test/surface vs analytics discussion. 

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

So, if the Sabres by chance do acquire Laine, I see McCabe moving. Can't see them on the same team. Also, if McCabe is moved, does that open the door to Gardiner?

So many twists and turns.

Because of a big clean hit? Disagree that that’d be a thing.

• Like (+1) 4

I think Laine's contract status suppresses his trade value. It would be one thing if he was signed and we knew what he was going to cost.

Winnipeg isn't going to get as much as they'd like to for him given that he's not even under contract to play this season yet.

So I think "unrealistic" trade proposals for Laine get a little leeway because of the uncertainty involved in this scenario.

Any Laine trade discussion really needs to include his expected contract.

Who here wants Laine at 8 x $10mil right now?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.