Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, #freejame said:

What would you then pay Laine?

Fair question, and one that must be answered without pretending that he'd accept a deal from the Sabres that he's refused to accept from Winnipeg.

I would give him a bridge deal that ends with him still an RFA.  I assume that it would need to be at least $8MM per year.

I also wouldn't make the trade without discussing and agreeing on a deal with Laine beforehand.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I would be very sad if we traded Reinhart for Laine straight across, never mind packaged with Risto.

At least we’re both consistent ?

Is Laine a better player than Skinner?

I don't want to give up Reino, but I would probably trade him straight up for Laine.  If the Sabres are giving up Risto too, then I also need Ehlers or someone like that.

Laine's ceiling is probably higher than Skinner's, but Skinner is a proven borderline-great player.  I wouldn't trade Skinner for Laine.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't want to give up Reino, but I would probably trade him straight up for Laine.  If the Sabres are giving up Risto too, then I also need Ehlers or someone like that.

Laine's ceiling is probably higher than Skinner's, but Skinner is a proven borderline-great player.  I wouldn't trade Skinner for Laine.

Reinhart is a better player than Laine honestly 

• Like (+1) 5

I would probably rank Laine as one of the 10 best goal scorers in the league. I doubt I’d rank him in the top 100 players in the league.

What is so intriguing is the fact that he is so young and there is a lot of room for him to address his flaws. At a franchise player price (Cozens, Risto and a 1st) I’d walk away and never look back, but at a forced trade buy-low Rick Nash rate (Risto and a non-core plus) I’m intrigued.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would probably rank Laine as one of the 10 best goal scorers in the league. I doubt I’d rank him in the top 100 players in the league.

Crosby, Matthews, Kane, Ovechkin, Pettersson, Tavares, Stamkos, Drasaitl, McDavid, Point, Kucherov...I don't think Laine is even in the top 10, maybe not even the top 20 honestly 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Crosby, Matthews, Kane, Ovechkin, Pettersson, Tavares, Stamkos, Drasaitl, McDavid, Point, Kucherov...I don't think Laine is even in the top 10, maybe not even the top 20 honestly 

In the three years he’s been in the league, he’s 6th with 110 goals, one less than Matthews, two behind Tavares and McDavid.

Kucherov has 120 and Ovechkin 133.

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would be very sad if we traded Reinhart for Laine straight across, never mind packaged with Risto.

At least we’re both consistent ?

Is Laine a better player than Skinner?

I would guess Laine scores more goals over the duration of Skinner’s contract than Skinner does. Not sure if that means he is or isn’t better though. 

***** trading Reino for him. I would revolt. 

If you account for games played, I'm pretty sure Matthews enters his own tier of goal scoring that only Ovechkin has passed in quite a while as far as youngsters go.

Reinhart for Laine would make the Sabres chances for a winning record worse, unless Laine's even strength play grows leaps and bounds this offseason. 

Just now, Zamboni said:

Some hockey fans only count pointzzz when determining if player A is better than player B. Some hockey fans look at other things beyond pointzzz and take that into account as well, when judging a players worth.

To be fair to Freeman, he's not one of those fans who only count points. He only counts goals ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In the three years he’s been in the league, he’s 6th with 110 goals, one less than Matthews, two behind Tavares and McDavid.

Kucherov has 120 and Ovechkin 133.

Fair enough, but I think the league has figured him out

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I say again:  at least 20, and probably 26, NHL GMs would trade Reino to get Laine.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have no problem believing there are 20-26 bad GMs in the NHL. 

Exactly

I couldn't fathom actively wanting to watch Laine skate 1200 ES minutes for this team in place of Reinhart for him to move Jack to the other side of the power play and add a few extra meaningless ginos after we were blitzed the entire game at ES before that power play happened and are now down 5-1 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

Truth be told, my reservation in the idea of trading for Laine is not because I don't think he can resolve his current issues, but because at his likely cost, I need to get a player that simply doesn't have those issues. 

But if we did acquire him... how is our second line not Johansson - Reinhart - Laine? Have Laine on his off wing if you want Johansson playing center maybe. If those guys can cover his tendency to be a black hole, while also using his ability to shoot the puck....that's two dangerous hockey lines, with Olofsson and Mitts licking their lips behind them.

Johansson is known for his transition, Reinhart for his ability to find his linemates and be where he's supposed to, and Laine for putting pucks in the net when his teammates put them on his stick.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Truth be told, my reservation in the idea of trading for Laine is not because I don't think he can resolve his current issues, but because at his likely cost, I need to get a player that simply doesn't have those issues. 

But if we did acquire him... how is our second line not Johansson - Reinhart - Laine? Have Laine on his off wing if you want Johansson playing center maybe. If those guys can cover his tendency to be a black hole, while also using his ability to shoot the puck....that's two dangerous hockey lines, with Olofsson and Mitts licking their lips behind them.

Johansson is known for his transition, Reinhart for his ability to find his linemates and be where he's supposed to, and Laine for putting pucks in the net when his teammates put them on his stick.

I would think with his shot Laine would fair better one his off-wing. Opposite holds true for Sam and passing. 

43 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Did you just propose Reinhart at center? I'd imagine Dudacek has flowers en route. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.