Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Just now, shrader said:

That's assuming they could have moved him for a second line center earlier.  I'm not so sure that I believe that one.

The whole premise of "value down" is absurd.

Botterill isnt going to move him unless he gets a 2nd line centre in return. No GM is willing to flip a 2nd line centre to get him. That was the case a year ago and it's still the case today.

Buffalo not trading Risto for an Adam Henrique or Nick Bonino is SMART. Florida not trading Vincent Trochek for Risto is SMART.

We need some GM to get stupid whose name isn't Jason.

Nothing to see here.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Did we actually think we'd get a 2C straight up for Risto? The NHL tends to think he's awful. 

You gotta put him in a package with Mitts, a first, both, more, something 

That indeed may be the case but I'm not ready to do that right now. Deduct the first and add Erod okay now possibly. I wouldn't give Risto and a first for a 2C right now.

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It doesn't say that they can't move him for a 2C like they used to be able to, it just says his value is down. It's more likely they never were able to, thought holding onto him would drive up his value enough to get the 2C, and it hasn't.

And that's the danger in twitter.  Friedman could have said just about anything where those elipses are.  Hell, the quote could very well be "Ristolainen's value is down from where they'd like it to be", but we get to cut up the quote to present whatever message we'd like.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, pi2000 said:

My source says the name most commonly mentioned alongside Buffalo in trade circles is Jake McCabe.  

On 2/18/2020 at 5:13 PM, Zamboni said:

And my source says Erod, and Girgs are garnering interest. Depth depth depth. Makes sense.

Meh.  None of these is earth shattering.  Perhaps they can bring us something that is.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

That indeed may be the case but I'm not ready to do that right now. Deduct the first and add Erod okay now possibly. I wouldn't give Risto and a first for a 2C right now.

I'd definitely wait til the draft lottery to do something like that. It was the kind of thing I was asking for last June 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Maybe in off season, but not now.  Tampa all in for this year.

Cirelli is injured. But yes this is an offseason move. 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd definitely wait til the draft lottery to do something like that. It was the kind of thing I was asking for last June 

If we are drafting 10th or later, I might just pull the trigger. I don't think Tampa would but I would. 

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wow good stuff yet again from the gossips

Friedman, Dreger etc. why do these guys get paid to perpetually provide zero value to anyone 

The 24-hour news cycle needs content, alas there isn't sufficient content to support it. They could make one announcement per day like they would have 20 years ago and it'd be much more valuable. But the national sports reporter's role is to provide the baseline and also allow GMs to safely share filtered information with each other and the masses while the more pertinent information is worked on. Someone of the talking heads has to be on screen because news is entertainment.

44 minutes ago, WildCard said:

3-4 years? Recently Sabres fans have barely had to wait 3-4 weeks to say the trade was stupid......

As for Risto, of course his value is going down because teams looking for defense are making their moves already and getting others cheaper then what they Sabres asking price is so with less teams desperate for help or looking for help, his value will go down.

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Cirelli is injured. But yes this is an offseason move. 

If we are drafting 10th or later, I might just pull the trigger. I don't think Tampa would but I would. 

If Cirelli is out for a long time than now is a good time for tampa to trade him for Risto Erod and Mitts.  If only their GM was as stupid as Botteril

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Cirelli is too much of a known quantity at this time. Gotta find the next guy. Someone like Gaudette from Vancouver? I haven't seen him play for even a second, just read some stuff.

Cirelli's name comes up because supposedly Tampa is in such dire cap hell that they can't resign both Sergachev and Cirelli.  I don't know if this is true or not.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Cirelli is too much of a known quantity at this time. Gotta find the next guy. Someone like Gaudette from Vancouver? I haven't seen him play for even a second, just read some stuff.

His EliteProspects profile makes me really want him

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/203361/adam-gaudette

1 minute ago, freester said:

Cirelli's name comes up because supposedly Tampa is in such dire cap hell that they can't resign both Sergachev and Cirelli.  I don't know if this is true or not.

I believe your right, because of their cap situation they need to unload someone and he appears to be the one most expendable for them

6 minutes ago, freester said:

Botterill's not going to give up what it would take to get Cirelli, because Cirelli's value comes from his potential to flourish in a new role, and Botterill has shown to be bad at matching players and what they've done on other teams to what they can do on his team. He looks for guys who put up numbers elsewhere already, and assumes that they'll continue here. He'll say "but this guy only has 55 points playing on Tampa, why would I give up this haul for a guy like that" and go add Henrique for fewer assets, or something 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Botterill's not going to give up what it would take to get Cirelli, because Cirelli's value comes from his potential to flourish in a new role, and Botterill has shown to be bad at matching players and what they've done on other teams to what they can do on his team. He looks for guys who put up numbers elsewhere already, and assumes that they'll continue here. He'll say "but this guy only has 55 points playing on Tampa, why would I give up this haul for a guy like that" and go add Henrique or something 

This is too depressing

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I believe your right, because of their cap situation they need to unload someone and he appears to be the one most expendable for them

TB is in cap hell because they have tradeable pieces like Gourde, Palat, Johnson and Killhorn but they all have NTCs.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Seriously,

He actually said “you don’t want to look back in 3 or 4 years and think that was a dumb trade?”

What insight.

To be fair, it's a single quote pulled from an entire interview.  I'm sure it fits much better when hearing the whole thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.