Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Trochek is a great get thought he was untouchable.   Still curious why his game has fallen so much. 

Marchessault is a great player, they’re trying to get rid of him before he hits the age 30-34 part of his contract, but I doubt he’s a vet we’d be sore about. Okposo fell off the cliff right away at 30, but a lot of that is concussion. 

Neither are big guys though. Looks like most forwards coming through the system have size though.  Makes a return of Sheary pretty much out of the question if it wasn’t already. 

Edited by triumph_communes

I’m getting sick of the types of players Botterill seems to focus on.

Look, nothing against Marchesseault, he’s a legit top 6 forward, but he is pushing 30, is 5’9” and won’t come cheap.

It just smacks of the Sheary and Vesey moves transferred to a larger canvas and if we trade Risto or Monty for him, I will be very upset.

If you’re talking to Vegas about a forward, talk Alex Tuch.

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Look, nothing against Marchesseault, he’s a legit top 6 forward, but he is pushing 30, is 5’9” and won’t come cheap.

It just smacks of the Sheary and Vesey moves transferred to a larger canvas and if we trade Risto or Monty for him, I will be very upset.

The only similarity I see between those 3 is that Sheary and Marchesseault are both short.

Not that I have a great deal of interest in him either.

Edited by Curt

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see no reason to target a considerably worse player just because of stylistic preference. 

38 minutes ago, Curt said:

The only similarity I see between those 3 is that Sheary and Marchesseault are both short.

Not that I have a great deal of interest in him either.

I perceive them as offence-first, physically limited wingers who don’t really add to our core long-term. Marchesseault is clearly better than the other two, but, I suspect that like the other two he will likely be less productive here than where he is now.

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I see no reason to target a considerably worse player just because of stylistic preference. 

Age, roster need, acquisition price.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Generally with you, but there's an important difference between Jon and those guys.

hes real good

i love fired up dudacek 

True, is Tuch that much worse? My guess would have been that itd be way harder to acquire Alex due to age and similar level of play 

Edited by Randall Flagg

23 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Prediction ... every trade announcement will be followed up by someone wondering why JB couldn’t have done that deal. Rabble rabble rabble. ?

For every trade made. Anyone who asserts the Sabres should have made that trade needs to deliver a proposal that would beat the trade that was made.

Otherwise, it's hot air.

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

For every trade made. Anyone who asserts the Sabres should have made that trade needs to deliver a proposal that would beat the trade that was made.

Otherwise, it's hot air.

For every fan to craft a post about what they don't like about the Sabres mode of operation which has us with the fewest wins in the NHL since the tank ended, they must successfully answer a series of intricate, impossible LTS requests, otherwise they must adopt his stance that the Sabres could have done nothing at any point to make them better than they are, and are where they are simply because that's how the cookie crumbles, through no fault of their own

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

Otherwise, it's hot air.

Andy Greene 37, pending free agent making $5 million per

Marco Scandella, 29, pending free agent making $4 million per

Similar roles, similar numbers...

Greene nets a 2nd and a longshot prospect, Scandella the equivalent of a longshot prospect.

This is why I think Scandella might have gotten more closer to the deadline. And I suspect other trades will also bear that out.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

For every fan to craft a post about what they don't like about the Sabres mode of operation which has us with the fewest wins in the NHL since the tank ended, they must successfully answer a series of intricate, impossible LTS requests, otherwise they must adopt his stance that the Sabres could have done nothing at any point to make them better than they are, and are where they are simply because that's how the cookie crumbles, through no fault of their own

Oh no. Heaven forbid we engage in conversation on a discussion forum.  I've never said anyone needs to adopt my stance, that's just pure garbage coming from you.

I guess you are content to just complain about the output and not think about how it could be made to be better.  I get it, it's not your job.  That's the job of the GM.  Your job is to do what exactly?  Be a cranky-pants?

I allow for possibilities.  You know, like when Pilut was sent down and people freaked the hell out only for him to be recalled the next day?  

If we go into this all accepting that we don't have all the information, then why should any of else feel like we should be able to determine what is or is not exactly happening? 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Greene nets a 2nd and a longshot prospect, Scandella the equivalent of a longshot prospect.

This is why I think Scandella might have gotten more closer to the deadline. And I suspect other trades will also bear that out.

Fair.  Truth.  Perhaps it's Greene's experience?  I don't know.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Montreal is effectively out of the race, and will soon sell off all their assets including Scandella.  Question is, do you believe he will garner more than a 4th round pick?  Nothing has change to impact his value for the stretch run.  If he does yield more than we know JB cannot properly  evaluate value.  

Edited by Broken Ankles

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Montreal is effectively out of the race, and will soon sell off all their assets including Scandella.  Question is, do you believe he will garner more than a 4th round pick?  Nothing has change to impact his value for the stretch run.  If he does yield more than we know JB cannot properly  evaluate value.  

Orrrrr....maybe JBott is secretly a genius and sent Scandy to Habs in an attempt to help sabotage them in the standings.?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.