Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I’m alright with Galchenyuk as long as he isn’t “the” acquisition. If you can make a dollar for dollar swap, why not. 
It’s like when Punch took a shot on Jacques Richard. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t a big deal in the end. If he goes on one of his unconscious streaks he could win you a game or two and be the difference in the race.

i am more and more convinced that all this team needs is a legitimate number two center and top end goaltending to not only make the playoffs but win a round or two. I think the internal debate right now is if Casey and the number one pick are on the table.

I wonder what Mitts would fetch.  Feels like we would be selling him at an all time low value but if it's a legit top 6 with some term and not super old then I would consider it.

22 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I wonder what Mitts would fetch.  Feels like we would be selling him at an all time low value but if it's a legit top 6 with some term and not super old then I would consider it.

I'd put Mitts in Roch for a couple seasons before consider trading him.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m alright with Galchenyuk as long as he isn’t “the” acquisition. If you can make a dollar for dollar swap, why not. 
It’s like when Punch took a shot on Jacques Richard. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t a big deal in the end. If he goes on one of his unconscious streaks he could win you a game or two and be the difference in the race.

i am more and more convinced that all this team needs is a legitimate number two center and top end goaltending to not only make the playoffs but win a round or two. I think the internal debate right now is if Casey and the number one pick are on the table.

Agreed.

A piece for the 3rd line? Sure, maybe even the 4th, his energy in game is there. I like Bogo for him honestly. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

There are still people high on him throughout the league. What you have to determine as a team is will he develop and increase his value or will he continue to struggle and decrease his value.

To be clear, he won’t be traded for an older player. He would only be included if a under 25, big piece was coming back.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There are still people high on him throughout the league. What you have to determine as a team is will he develop and increase his value or will he continue to struggle and decrease his value.

To be clear, he won’t be traded for an older player. He would only be included if a under 25, big piece was coming back.

The question I have, based on what you just said...…..what team is looking to add a package from Buffalo, assuming Mitts would be in a package, that would garner such a return?

Honestly, the suspects based on situation, Ottawa, Philadelphia and maybe Calgary come to mind. Of course, in full disclosure, this is purely guess work based on the under 25 big piece and people league wide high on him combined with situational awareness, cap and roster wise. I could be way off though.

15 hours ago, tom webster said:

could include Mitts in package to get Josh Anderson from Blue Jackets or maybe Alex Tuch from Vegas... I want a big RW toplay with Jack.  Sam needs to drop to second line a be set up man for Skinner.

• Like (+1) 2

Would Buffalo have any interest in getting DeSmith in possible package with Galchenyuk?  I wouldn't mind DeSmith splitting time with Ullmark for a few years until UPL is ready.  Buffalo could then expose one to Seattle in expansion draft if UPL performs.  I also think Buffalo could move Hutton to NJ or SJ for a decent return since he is signed for next year.

I think this would be a great target to put on Jack's line

15. TYLER TOFFOLI, RW, 28
2019-20 cap hit: $4,600,000

A fun buy-low pick. Toffoli’s goal-scoring has cratered in recent seasons, but he’s languished on some terrible L.A. teams. Might he return to 30-goal prowess on a team with an elite playmaking center?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, tom webster said:

The piece ( pieces?) that should bring back Galchenyuk (or similar) wouldn't move the dial much on a move to fix the 2nd line or to upgrade the goaltending.  IMHO, those potential trades are completely separate matters.

And trading to "fix" goaltending could be tough, especially knowing that either the guy brought in via trade or Ullmark has to be exposed to Seattle.  (Which might keep a D-man from being taken, so there is that.). But that makes improved goalie depth almost a 1 - 1-1/2 year fix depending on when the trade occurs.

Would Luukkonnen (or other unknown fix) be ready / available in '21-'22?

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'd put Mitts in Roch for a couple seasons before consider trading him.   

Since this is the last year of his ELC I believe he'd have to pass through waivers to go to Rochester next year, so if he doesn't get sent down this season, he's probably not going down ever.

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The piece ( pieces?) that should bring back Galchenyuk (or similar) wouldn't move the dial much on a move to fix the 2nd line or to upgrade the goaltending.  IMHO, those potential trades are completely separate matters.

And trading to "fix" goaltending could be tough, especially knowing that either the guy brought in via trade or Ullmark has to be exposed to Seattle.  (Which might keep a D-man from being taken, so there is that.). But that makes improved goalie depth almost a 1 - 1-1/2 year fix depending on when the trade occurs.

Would Luukkonnen (or other unknown fix) be ready / available in '21-'22?

I'm not all that familiar with the expansion rules. Can Jonas Johansson be that exposed guy in the draft if they re-sign him to a two year deal this offseason, or is there a games played requirement?

Edited by shrader

47 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not all that familiar with the expansion rules. Can Jonas Johansson be that exposed guy in the draft if they re-sign him to a two year deal this offseason, or is there a games played requirement?

Doesn’t appear to be according to this NHL.com story on the Knights draft.

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

The forwards and D sections both had a specific 40 games played clause.

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, shrader said:

You can only protect up to 1 goalie that meets the exposure criteria (Luukkonnen won't have to be exposed and won't count as protected) and have to have at least 1 exposed. 

So, if, say they pick up Holtby (just as an example, no reason to suspect he'd be here) and both he and Ullmark would be under contract heading into '21-'22, then at least 1 of the 2 would have to be available to Seattle to pick up.  Any other guys that might still be in the system like Hammond or Hutton would also have to be exposed.

If they somehow didn't have any goalies other than Ullmark that met the criteria to be exposed/ protected, then they would have to expose him to Seattle and would not use their 1 "save."

Would have to go back and review whether Johansson could be the exposed goalie, but pretty sure he can't be as he has pretty much no NHL experience.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.