Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Looking over the Capfriendly Buffalo page.

Man, we are flush with NHL caliber D men, but then, this has been discussed at length. What I am looking at is the winger situation. We are flush with left handed shots, and our prospect pool in the AHL is filled with 18 to 21 yr old C/LW's.

The Sabres need RW'ers, at every level, no?

25 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Looking over the Capfriendly Buffalo page.

Man, we are flush with NHL caliber D men, but then, this has been discussed at length. What I am looking at is the winger situation. We are flush with left handed shots, and our prospect pool in the AHL is filled with 18 to 21 yr old C/LW's.

The Sabres need RW'ers, at every level, no?

A lot of wingers can play either side and some even prefer the off wing, so it may not be as big a deal as you think. Versatility is also a plus with the coach too.

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am at the point where unless you get back a top line winger, Risto stays. I am not even sure I make that trade with his amazing contract.

The contract is fine, but it’s not amazing.  He is the highest paid D on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

The contract is fine, but it’s not amazing.  He is the highest paid D on the roster.

That’s fine, somebody has to be. Look at the contracts his peers are signing. Tyler Myers just got $7m! Risto will get that on the open market once his contract is finish, if not more. He’s a steal for two (one?) more year.

Just now, #freejame said:

That’s fine, somebody has to be. Look at the contracts his peers are signing. Tyler Myers just got $7m! Risto will get that on the open market once his contract is finish, if not more. He’s a steal for two (one?) more year.

Context matters.  It’s a RFA contract signed several years ago VS a UFA contract just signed.  The contract has definitely gotten better over the years.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, triumph_communes said:

If Montour returns, Dahlin shifts to LD and Scandella is the 7D scratch until Risto gets traded. 

It will be very interesting to see who Krueger sits when Montour is back, but i really don't think Scandella will be the one sitting. Not only has he played good but Krueger sees him like a leader. And his pairing with Jokiharju has been very strong. I don't think they will want to split those two up.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

It will be very interesting to see who Krueger sits when Montour is back, but i really don't think Scandella will be the one sitting. Not only has he played good but Krueger sees him like a leader. And his pairing with Jokiharju has been very strong. I don't think they will want to split those two up.

Considering, they seem to like Montour with Dahlin, Miller could be the odd man out. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see any of Miller, Scandella, or Jokiharju odd man out should they actually be injury free among the 6 regulars by the time Montour is healthy.   Would be shocked if Dahlin, McCabe, or Ristolainen went to the press box.

But 1 single injury makes all the handwringing moot. 

The easy move is to put Bogo on LTIR and send Jokiharju down when Montour is ready.   He doesn't need to clear waivers and he can play 25min a night in Roch while he continues to get stronger... he's only 20.   There will.no doubt be more injuries on the blueline, so he'll likely be back sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 6

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The easy move is to put Bogo on LTIR and send Jokiharju down when Montour is ready.   He doesn't need to clear waivers and he can play 25min a night in Roch while he continues to get stronger... he's only 20.   There will.no doubt be more injuries on the blueline, so he'll likely be back sooner than later.

When you have the GM saying Jokiharju and Olofsson should get a house, that doesn't sound like he agrees with you.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

When you have the GM saying Jokiharju and Olofsson should get a house, that doesn't sound like he agrees with you.

With cheap housing prices, these players make enough money to buy a house in both cities. Maybe Botts was giving them investment advice. They can rent it out while they are in Roch. 

Scandella still has been the weakest link on defense.  When Montour is back, Gilmour gets waived and I bet Scandella sits some.

Granted, injuries will quickly change this and a Ristolainen trade does as well, which I still believe happens at some point.

Pilut will probably remain in the AHL too until injuries or a trade makes a change happen.

Depth.  Depth are good problems to have.  I like these problems.

After the game tonight --

Ristolainen and Rodrigues for Kase, Sprong (AHL), and 2020 1st (top 10 protected)

Ducks need RD, and can take on cap.  Rodrigues isn't gelling under Krueger, but softens the blow for Anaheim.  Kase makes our team better, or he's hurt and we lose the gamble that brought his value down to begin with.  Sprong is Botterill's choice of prospects to keep ANA under 50 contracts.  Protected 1st is the value the market of multiple teams needing a RD lends us to, and Rodrigues is the adder that makes it sit well for ANA.  2.6AAV in, 7.4AAV out, nets 4.8, which brings us back to cap savings territory for the rest of the season.

Edited by triumph_communes

From LeBrun in The Athletic 

Marco Scandella, Buffalo Sabres

If Rasmus Ristolainen ends up staying, and it sounds like he’s happy right now, then something has to eventually give on a Sabres blue line that’s going to be bubbling with bodies once everyone is healthy. Not that there’s any hurry to decide anything. Especially not with a trip overseas coming next month. But at some point this season I suspect the Sabres could deal a blueliner given those numbers. Scandella is a pending UFA on July 1 and currently carries a cap hit of $4 million. It’s not out of the question depending on league-wide interest that he’s the odd man out later in the season. He’s a quality veteran teams normally look to add closer to the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.