Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, kas23 said:

What would we be looking at here, Risto and Montour for Ehlers? Too rich?

Way too rich.

They have RHD depth but that would eliminate a big chunk of it in one move. One of those guys is close to Ehlers, just needs a little sweetener, or a losing streak by Winnipeg.

Definite retirement by big Buff would also accelerate a move.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Way too rich.

They have RHD depth but that would eliminate a big chunk of it in one move. One of those guys is close to Ehlers, just needs a little sweetener, or a losing streak by Winnipeg.

Definite retirement by big Buff would also accelerate a move.

Montour and Tage may be what I would prefer. Our second line with Ehlers on it (and Sobotka not) would be fantastic. Or, even put him on the top line and drop Rhino down to 2nd would be equally as great. 

But, just to be clear, I love what we are seeing right now and would be very hesitant to disrupt any chemistry by subtracting Risto. I’ve never been in the must trade Risto camp. He provides a definite role. Montour may be the odd man out. 

Edited by kas23

13 hours ago, kas23 said:

Montour and Tage may be what I would prefer. Our second line with Ehlers on it (and Sobotka not) would be fantastic. Or, even put him on the top line and drop Rhino down to 2nd would be equally as great. 

But, just to be clear, I love what we are seeing right now and would be very hesitant to disrupt any chemistry by subtracting Risto. I’ve never been in the must trade Risto camp. He provides a definite role. Montour may be the odd man out. 

I have a hard time believing the player they acquired in February using a 1st round pick and Guhle is the odd man out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

And yet, it may be the case.

Forget what was paid for him.  Look at what is needed, what's available, and what it will cost. 

If Kruger wants to keep Risto, who does that make the odd man out?

JBot acquired Montour while HCPH was still the coach.  With a new coach, things can change.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And yet, it may be the case.

Forget what was paid for him.  Look at what is needed, what's available, and what it will cost. 

If Kruger wants to keep Risto, who does that make the odd man out?

JBot acquired Montour while HCPH was still the coach.  With a new coach, things can change.

Jokiharju or more likely Scandella and they play 1 pair as a RHD - RHD

If Botterill thought when he acquired Montour on Feb 25th that Phil Housley would still be coach after April 7th, he's an idiot. Further, Krueger used Montour in the preseason so why wouldn't he use him in the regular season?

Edited by LGR4GM

But on the other hand, if a "blue chip RHD" is what's going to be required to get a top-6 forward, it might come down to Montour vs. Risto.  It's not unreasonable to think that, and it's further not unreasonable that RFK would prefer Risto over Montour (realistically, I'm not sure who he would pick but to get top-6 fwd help, it might take one or the other).

Edited by Doohickie

I won't deny that.  But "what have you done for me lately?" may be factored in.  RFK has 3 pairs that seem to be working.  Bring in another, what does that do to the dynamic?  Looking at how much Krueger has been fiddling with the roster (almost none), it wouldn't surprise me if his preference is to not upset the chemistry.

Ultimately it's JBot's call, but it sounds like so far they talk a lot about roster moves.

27 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I won't deny that.  But "what have you done for me lately?" may be factored in.  RFK has 3 pairs that seem to be working.  Bring in another, what does that do to the dynamic?  Looking at how much Krueger has been fiddling with the roster (almost none), it wouldn't surprise me if his preference is to not upset the chemistry.

Ultimately it's JBot's call, but it sounds like so far they talk a lot about roster moves.

There's a big difference between keeping together what is working and being blinded to upgrades. 

47 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Something tells me it won't be long before the team is forced to make a change and start a new dynamic....not by trade, but instead by injury.   For now, I like keeping both guys unless a really lop-sided trade opportunity presents itself.  We'll see!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not if they want a balance of righty leftie and/or a more physical presence/

Are you suggesting that Miller is not physical? 

Also it would be pretty dumb to trade away Miller when you just got him and he's the best d contract. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Are you suggesting that Miller is not physical? 

Also it would be pretty dumb to trade away Miller when you just got him and he's the best d contract. 

I’m not suggesting Miller should be traded.  I went and looked and I’m surprised my how many hits Miller has been credited for the last two years.  I don’t think of him as physical player and I certainly think of Scandella as a more physical, despite the hits.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I have a hard time believing the player they acquired in February using a 1st round pick and Guhle is the odd man out. 

Don’t let that blind you to the possibility though. If he’s the one of the 2 that gets you Ehlers, then it’s bon voyage. I wouldn’t trade him for anything less than a 60 point player though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.