Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're both wrong. Kessel deserved the Smythe that year, but McDavid wasn't the best player in hockey the second half of his rookie year. Again I am right in my analysis. 

You're welcome for ending the debate. 

Wouldn't want any of that, here. Not when so much is going on right now with the Sabres and the hockey world at large..

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think this stuff maps like that, is all. I don't think you can guarantee Dahlin was better in the NHL this year than Miro, and I don't think that you can be sure that a season spent on Frolunda would have been clean-cut better than what Miro did in Liiga the previous year. I don't think you can guarantee anything about the summer either of them have had, until we see what it results in. And all of that puts two players within a year of each other on roughly equal footing, which calls into question naming a defenseman who probably wasn't top 25 in the NHL at his position the McDavid of defensemen, when McD spent a chunk of his rookie year as the best player of any position on the planet, more or less

Defenders develop differently than forwards. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who did Crosby see most?

First, I really have to stop closing the stat trick page every time I finish a post because I've had to re-open it and click through the minefield about ten times now lmao 

Second, I'll list the first forwards/d-pairs to appear for each team:
Braun/Vlasic, Alzner/Niskanen, also Hedman for Tampa's D, Callahan, Oshie, Marc Staal for the Rags (Kessel had McDonagh nope read that wrong, he was Skjei/Klein while sid appeared to face staal/klein), Backstrom instead of Kuzy, Thornton/Pavs line about 60/40 with Logan, Callahan/Johnson/Palat more than the Kucherov line which Phil saw the most, though Crosby did face Kucherov almost as much as those guys. 

The only team that threw tougher players at Sid than Phil was the Rangers, because their lower lines were garbage, which is why Pitt blew them out of the water, causing teams to reevaluate and start sending out actually good players against Kessel. Sid played Stepan and Kessel got E. Staal

I don't see much of a difference, though certainly Sid took more D-zone draws which as I've learned from Phil and Vlad are the holy grail of importance (this is 100% a shot at Phil citing left zone draws as a reason to use the worst player in the league more than all but 3 other forwards on the team) 

Edited by Randall Flagg

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're both wrong. Kessel deserved the Smythe that year, but McDavid wasn't the best player in hockey the second half of his rookie year. Again I am right in my analysis. 

You're welcome for ending the debate. 

mcd.thumb.png.29f4f95eb003361f06644d656ba4c15e.png

It's at least an interesting question, no? This includes McDavid's first few weeks, in which of course he wasn't as great. Same contribution to actual goals, Connor with better performances in both of the stats which best predict future goals and future goals against, xGF and CA 

(This isn't a serious argument I'm making fun of these charts right now)

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Anyway we obviously aren't changing minds at this point and I have to cook dinner, so nice debate Thorny, good practice for when we all have to yell at each other to deduce why the Sabres suck so bad this year

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t care who won the Conn Smyth whatever year that was, and whether they deserved it or not.

Thread's all yours, left the light on for yeh.

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wouldn't want any of that, here. Not when so much is going on right now with the Sabres and the hockey world at large..

Sarcasm detector, sir. I thought using Roenick's "again I am right in my analysis" would be a solid tip off ?

But yea, the only thing else to discuss would be how the players still, somehow, simply don't understand escrow. You'd think 14 years of a hard cap would be enough to get it, but apparently not. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I like it!  I hadn’t seen that before!

It was of course a joke.  I was juxtaposing my lack of caring against the intense opinions you guys were displaying about this thing that happened quite a while ago and doesn’t really matter in any practical way.

35 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Up thread I noted that I traded some junk for more space in our den. That not enough for ya, eh?

I believe you won this trade!

Getting rid of the older, used junk, for space is a win in and of itself. However, your going to fill that space with assets that, in themselves will become junk eventually.

That's the straw that broke the camels back, FIRE BOTTS! ?

I’m gonna be a Debbie downer I guess. I’m gonna temper my expectations. Pump the brakes. Be even tempered. And say I think Dahlin this season, will take small strides in some areas, but not in the points department. I think he’ll get 40-45 points. 

Why? Well, because I think more players will focus on him. Knock him around more, take hard runs at him when possible. Try to get him off his game because they know he’s so effective and deadly when he has time and space. Plus he may get dinged up and have some injury issues to deal with.

i just don’t see sophomore Dahlin “taking huge ZOMG steps” or being a “top 10 D-man”. 2020-21 I can see him take another jump in development.

But hey, that’s why they play the games... ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I read a tweet this morning suggesting that the Wings and Sabres are close to Ristolainen-Mantha straight up, if that helps.

That would get the Sabres pretty friggin' close to a true top 6.  Even with Evan Rodrigues centering 2 of the top 4 wings.  And they could even leave a scoring winger in Olofsson on the 3rd line for Mittelstadt to not feel sad or abandoned (or whatever he might feel centering Sheary & Vesey).

Would be interested to see how they'd sit in relation to the cap should they try to add Gardiner to that lineup post trade.

I think this is the progenitor of the current round of those rumors:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/nhl-trade-rumor-buffalo-and-detroit.html?fbclid=IwAR2zWnh6qmUUExg4bYao7tuqLyWuSWtga9Dvvbm8yqLt8YzsDdEO7KKoY1c

Sure looks more like speculation and rumor re-hashing than any sort of actual report. That said, if we got Mantha for Risto I'd be pretty stoked.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.