Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

37 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I am so hoping it's 12 AAV or higher. I would like Dubas walking around like he was just alley dragged by a herd of Clydesdale.

I haven't gone to Cap friendly to confirm but I read on Sportsnet that Dubas' Cap Wizardry left them with $9.5M for Marner.

They are a Leafblower network, but Wizardry seemed like a strong word when they gave up Marleau and a 1st for some relief.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, kas23 said:

I think it makes much more sense for an established playoff team, says the Caps or Pens, to give someone an offer sheet. They just need one more boost, at the expense of their future, to get them a cup. A basement dweller shouldn’t do this. Our team, for example, we are a perennial top 10 drafter. Do we really think we would be any better than this year’s Leafs if we had Marner? Likely not, and we would dumped our future because of it. We should leave such an offer sheet to wait until we have at least strung a couple playoff births in a row. 

It makes sense in those teams needing the extra boost, but typically the good playoff teams are already close to the cap and couldn't make a big offer unless they are losing one of their top players and it could become a wash if they actually improve or not. For the bottom tier teams, they typically are the ones with the cap space but also would fear that they end up in Ottawa's situation this year where they almost gave away the #1 overall pick.

I don't think it's a bad move for the Sabres to offer sheet him, even if it is for 4 1sts. He doesn't make them worse then last year where they drafted 7th, adding him makes the forwards better. And he is an upgrade over Reinhart so if they move him to recoup some of what they gave up they are still good. 

As for the 2 C spot, they should be looking for decent veteran C that would sign a 2-3 year deal to fill the gap and hope Middlestat ends up taking the job before that contract is up.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I just looked, and holy crap do the Isles have some fugly contracts, at least one of which they'd have to unload to make space for Marner. 

Potential trade partner?

Edited by WildCard

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Stop looking at the guys who are available right now.  Look at the guys who are RFAs next year that their current team will have trouble affording.  in short, look for a Teraveinen sort of deal. We take a cap dump and the young player as the kicker rather than a pick.

Yeh but does another team want to do that until close to trade deadline.

14 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Stop looking at the guys who are available right now.  Look at the guys who are RFAs next year that their current team will have trouble affording.  in short, look for a Teraveinen sort of deal. We take a cap dump and the young player as the kicker rather than a pick.

How many players are all of the following: legitimate #2 centers, RFAs in 2020, playing for a team with major cap problems and needs RHD more than centers? I'd imagine any such list of players is incredibly short. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

How many players are all of the following: legitimate #2 centers, RFAs in 2020, playing for a team with major cap problems and needs RHD more than centers? I'd imagine any such list of players is incredibly short. 

RFA.thumb.JPG.9e0147178b846a7587f335eb71956051.JPG

Two names look familiar. 

34 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Wgr discussing Ehlers for Risto 1 for 1 swap.

Yes please!

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think this makes a ton of sense, but I have no idea how we'd get a 2C without Risto as the centerpiece given how many targets have already gone off the board. 

Though I still haven't totally given up hope for a Skinnerish Niederreiter (or similar) deal, am expecting we'll end up with more of a Leino as the #2C (Johansson when he finally comes off trying to get 5 years or Dzingel).

Which means a Ristolainen out for a true 2RW is very likely.  Simply for how happy NS would be should that happen, I'm good with that trade should it happen.

And, they'd probably have enough top 9 wingers to make Johansson or Dzingel playing 2C actually be good enough. 

Olofsson/Vesey - Eichel -  Ehlers

Skinner - Johansson/Dzingel - Reinhart

Vesey/Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Sheary/Thompson/Nylander

Girgensons/Rodrigues - Larsson/Asplund - Okooso/Wilson

And whenever Mittelstadt is finally good enough to play 2C, slide Skinner back up with Eichel.

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Though I still haven't totally given up hope for a Skinnerish Niederreiter (or similar) deal, am expecting we'll end up with more of a Leino as the #2C (Johansson when he finally comes off trying to get 5 years or Dzingel).

Which means a Ristolainen out for a true 2RW is very likely.  Simply for how happy NS would be should that happen, I'm good with that trade should it happen.

And, they'd probably have enough top 9 wingers to make Johansson or Dzingel playing 2C actually be good enough. 

Olofsson/Vesey - Eichel -  Ehlers

Skinner - Johansson/Dzingel - Reinhart

Vesey/Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Sheary/Thompson/Nylander

Girgensons/Rodrigues - Larsson/Asplund - Okooso/Wilson

And whenever Mittelstadt is finally good enough to play 2C, slide Skinner back up with Eichel.

I'm moving towards where you are and it will bring me great sadness if it comes to fruition. 

18 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm moving towards where you are and it will bring me great sadness if it comes to fruition. 

We’ve seen Botterill hint at it with his talk of Reinhart joining the list of players who can drive play from the wing.

I still think the most likely move is Turris for crap or something similar.

But Botterill has set himself up well to offer a package built around pieces like 1st/Nylander/Risto or even Mittelstadt should the RFA market force a legitimate core piece loose.

Now it’s just a waiting game.

Edited by dudacek

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We’ve seen Botterill hint at it with his talk of Reinhart joining the list of players who can drive play from the wing.

I still think the most likely move is Turris for crap or something similar.

But Botterill has set himself up well to offer a package built around pieces like 1st/Nylander/Risto or even Mittelstadt should the RFA market force a legitimate core piece loose.

Now it’s just a waiting game.

???

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

Mark Jankowski on the RFA list looks interesting.   Plays 3rd line Center in Calgary.   Would be a 2C for the Sabres.  If Calgary asks you to take on the James Neal contract as a starter and throw a few pieces back, what say you? 

I laugh uncontrollably. Jankowski isn't any better of an option than Mittelstadt, and that Neal contract is an Okposo-level albatross. 

8 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Mark Jankowski on the RFA list looks interesting.   Plays 3rd line Center in Calgary.   Would be a 2C for the Sabres.  If Calgary asks you to take on the James Neal contract as a starter and throw a few pieces back, what say you? 

He had 24 pots at ES last season and his shot share numbers were not very good.  I think he could be ok as a 3/4 C option.  Doesn’t help the 2C situation though.  I wouldn’t want to give up anything too significant or take on such a bad contract in order to acquire him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.