Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I wouldn't want Lucic at all, hell wouldn't even do him for Okposo straight up.  

I don't want Lucic either but for Okposo straight up, I'd have a conversation.  Identical ages and cap hits and Lucic does bring a physical element to the Sabres that they don't have.  I can live with Lucic scoring a half dozen fewer goals than Kyle.  It would be an interesting debate.   Just make sure that Lucic and Ryan Miller don't attend the same alumni events.

14 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Have a safe 4th all. I'd like to see everyone posting with all fingers tomorrow ?

No fireworks for me. I can't take the chance to jeopardize my sex life.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Interesting take.  Is Marner  >  Nylander, Mitts, Rasmus, and Cozens.

Excellent articulation of the issue.  Certainly if we thought Rasmus and Cozens weren't going to far exceed Nylander and Mitts, we would do it in a second.

• Like (+1) 1

Humor me for a second: what if the league added incentive for teams around the league to offer sheet?

What if a team matches the offer sheet they must give the team signing the contract something?

This is way too complicated but... what if: team matching the offer sheet gives the offering team the right to swap firsts in the next draft.

BUT if you fail on an offer sheet you can’t do another for two seasons?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Excellent articulation of the issue.  Certainly if we thought Rasmus and Cozens weren't going to far exceed Nylander and Mitts, we would do it in a second.

I think it makes much more sense for an established playoff team, says the Caps or Pens, to give someone an offer sheet. They just need one more boost, at the expense of their future, to get them a cup. A basement dweller shouldn’t do this. Our team, for example, we are a perennial top 10 drafter. Do we really think we would be any better than this year’s Leafs if we had Marner? Likely not, and we would dumped our future because of it. We should leave such an offer sheet to wait until we have at least strung a couple playoff births in a row. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Humor me for a second: what if the league added incentive for teams around the league to offer sheet?

What if a team matches the offer sheet they must give the team signing the contract something?

This is way too complicated but... what if: team matching the offer sheet gives the offering team the right to swap firsts in the next draft.

BUT if you fail on an offer sheet you can’t do another for two seasons?

I agree with your sentiment, but it actually does not have to be that complicated. Just make the compensation a bit less.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but it actually does not have to be that complicated. Just make the compensation a bit less.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

This is fair but then teams would match even more often.

I think if the compensation were substantially less -- or zero, as in the NBA -- there would be many more offer sheets, and as a result the team with matching rights would find itself having to make hard salary cap choices more often, and more guys would inevitably change teams.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I think if the compensation were substantially less -- or zero, as in the NBA -- there would be many more offer sheets, and as a result the team with matching rights would find itself having to make hard salary cap choices more often, and more guys would inevitably change teams.

The NHL seems, to me, so unique in how teams can rebound from one season to the next (or vise versa), and especially, how top-seeded teams can get eliminated in early rounds of the playoffs.

Is part of the RFA structure responsible for this? If so, don't change it...

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I bet it's Ottawa. 

I'll go with Lou and the Islanders.  That would be a great story.  But the Isles are getting older and have some players that would be attractive to move if they need room.  Several of their players are on long tern contracts so there may not be room for up and comer from the farm.  They have cap space and the draft choices to do it.

Edited by Tondas

27 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'll go with Lou and the Islanders.  That would be a great story.  But the Isles are getting older and have some players that would be attractive to move if they need room.  Several of their players are on long tern contracts so there may not be room for up and comer from the farm.  They have cap space and the draft choices to do it.

So do we.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.