Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres should be in on this. 

Let's hope. 

And let's hope in a week or so we can say "good bye and good luck Messrs. Nylander &  Smith and future #2 pick, we hardly knew ye."

Hellllllllooooooo Stastny (or Niederreiter, we don't have to be fussy ? ).

We can bid adieu to a D-man too that's been under contract to the Sabres for more than 1 full season as well. For that matter.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Let's hope. 

And let's hope in a week or so we can say "good bye and good luck Messrs. Nylander &  Smith and future #2 pick, we hardly knew ye."

Hellllllllooooooo Stastny (or Niederreiter, we don't have to be fussy ? ).

We can bid adieu to a D-man too that's been under contract to the Sabres for more than 1 full season as well. For that matter.

Humor me for a moment.

Botterill speaks of roster surgery already having added Montour at the deadline. We now see Miller brought in (both RHD's, we all know this).

Now, bare with me, but, what if Botterill sees the defense as the primary issue "along with" the void on the 2nd line? Rumors abound about Buffalo as a team interested in Gardiner, an LHD, and given our LHD situation, with Pilut injured early in to the season, we have Scandella, McCabe (who's very loosely rumored available) and Hunwick with Hickey in depth. I cannot believe for the life of me Botterill was satisfied with either side, Right or Left. He began addressing the right side, and, subsequent to his words of "roster surgery", I firmly believe the Gardiner rumors are true and he is looking to address the left side.

Therefore, I am in a firm belief that Botterill has trades in the works for existing defensemen, both RHD and LHD, and pending a signing like Gardiner, is looking to address those positions while in conversations with a forward or 2 in FA. I believe we will see a trade or 2 in the next 4 days off of defense with defense coming in.

Just my hunch is all.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Humor me for a moment.

Botterill speaks of roster surgery already having added Montour at the deadline. We now see Miller brought in (both RHD's, we all know this).

Now, bare with me, but, what if Botterill sees the defense as the primary issue "along with" the void on the 2nd line? Rumors abound about Buffalo as a team interested in Gardiner, an LHD, and given our LHD situation, with Pilut injured early in to the season, we have Scandella, McCabe (who's very loosely rumored available) and Hunwick with Hickey in depth. I cannot believe for the life of me Botterill was satisfied with either side, Right or Left. He began addressing the right side, and, subsequent to his words of "roster surgery", I firmly believe the Gardiner rumors are true and he is looking to address the left side.

Therefore, I am in a firm belief that Botterill has trades in the works for existing defensemen, both RHD and LHD, and pending a signing like Gardiner, is looking to address those positions while in conversations with a forward or 2 in FA. I believe we will see a trade or 2 in the next 4 days off of defense with defense coming in.

Just my hunch is all.

Could be a good hunch.  Botterill said he saw opportunities to add "depth" and he went and added that (almost entirely for Ra-cha-cha, but none the less depth).

He seems to be truthful when he speaks and as you mentioned, he spoke of "roster surgery.". I saw that as he'd target a slot or 2 to upgrade, and focus on the 2nd line.  Maybe he had 2nd D pairing in that surgery as well which would imply 1 more LD coming in.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could be a good hunch.  Botterill said he saw opportunities to add "depth" and he went and added that (almost entirely for Ra-cha-cha, but none the less depth).

He seems to be truthful when he speaks and as you mentioned, he spoke of "roster surgery.". I saw that as he'd target a slot or 2 to upgrade, and focus on the 2nd line.  Maybe he had 2nd D pairing in that surgery as well which would imply 1 more LD coming in.

I think this is correct. I think he moves Risto to help address line 2, be it a center or winger, and in turn, addresses the LHD situation to help partner up Montour, Miller, Bogo? maybe even Dahlin.

I just can't see him happy with Scandella's play at all, and to be honest, the McCabe injury didn't exactly exude confidence, at least to me. But, maybe it's just a single replacement like a Gardiner to move one of them in a larger deal. Hard to say really, impossible more like it.

I see things shaking following the 4th, who knows, maybe on the 4th...……………..

Did Botterill actually call it "roster surgery"? I looked not too long ago and all I found was one of the primary pundits using that phrase. I would actually be happy to have it confirmed that he used that phrase.

Edited by ...
I hate flies.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Did Botterill actually call it "roster surgery"? I looked not too long ago and all I found was one of the primary pundits using that phrase. I would actually be happy to have it confirmed that he used that phrase.

I'm almost positive it was something Dreger or Friedman said, not Botterill. 

7 minutes ago, ... said:

No data.  And I'm on vacation (staycation, but still) for the 1st time in almost 4 years.  So, not only don't know; don't care. ?

Ask me again a growler from now. ?

Edited by Taro T

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No data.  And I'm on vacation (staycation, but still) for the 1st time in almost 4 years.  So, not only don't know; don't care. ?

Ask me again a growler from now. ?

No g-string requirement at your establishment of choice?

Just listened the Flames GM Brad Trevling on SiriusXM.  He spoke about Calgarys cap crunch.  They have three RFA including Tkachuk.  With only $9m to spend he suggested they are looking for a trade.  Is Sam Bennett worth a look?  Can’t imagine it would cost that much.  If they are seeking a max term deal with Tkachuck and sign the other two they would need to cut at least $4-6m.  Any interest for a Colin Miller type deal?

9 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Just listened the Flames GM Brad Trevling on SiriusXM.  He spoke about Calgarys cap crunch.  They have three RFA including Tkachuk.  With only $9m to spend he suggested they are looking for a trade.  Is Sam Bennett worth a look?  Can’t imagine it would cost that much.  If they are seeking a max term deal with Tkachuck and sign the other two they would need to cut at least $4-6m.  Any interest for a Colin Miller type deal?

Bennett would be a good addition, but he isn't a second line centre, IMO.  I think he has played a lot of wing.  He is an upgrade to the overall talent level of the Sabres, but I don't think he fills the most glaring need.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d take a flyer on Sam Bennett as long as it costs next to nothing. Otherwise I’ve got no interest.

TJ Brodie might be another one for them to move.

Michael Frolik for like a 6th round pick would be fine by me.

Boy oh boy is that James Neal contract terrible. He scored seven goals in 63 games last year... and still have four years left at $5.75M.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I wouldn't want Lucic at all, hell wouldn't even do him for Okposo straight up.  

I meant if that’s what it’ll take to get Pool Party but accidentally said Lucic instead. Edited it now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.