Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd prefer Haula, then Dzingel, then Eakin. My impression is that Eakin doesn't play very good hockey.

I'm just going to be really upset if we don't Fix, with a capital f, the 2C position for at least this coming season. 

Do the first two constitute an adequate "fix", in your opinion?

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I'd prefer Haula, then Dzingel, then Eakin. My impression is that Eakin doesn't play very good hockey.

I'm just going to be really upset if we don't Fix, with a capital f, the 2C position for at least this coming season. 

I agree. I'd rather throw a 1 year, $12 million contract at Joe Thornton and see if enough zeros would make him willing to go to a bottom feeder than play 2C by committee again.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think Stastny or Haula would be a great get from Vegas.  I want Buffalo to be all over the Vegas cap situation.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dzingel isn't capable of being a 2c or a "real" 3C?

I’d define a “real” 2C as someone who gets me 60-70 points despite defensive flaws, or 50-60 points and can hold his own in matchups and he’s neither of those in my opinion.

He can be a 3C if the two guys ahead of him are capable in their roles.

Do you want your 3C making $5 million plus if he’s not a 2C in disguise?

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

I’d define a “real” 2C as someone who gets me 60-70 points despite defensive flaws, or 50-60 points and can hold his own in matchups and he’s neither of those in my opinion.

Even JT Miller barely qualified, then. 

Seems Dzingel is a bit of an in-betweener then, 50 points at 3C would seem to be a bit of a luxury. *Though hopefully one we are heading for, see: Eichel - Cozens - Mittelstadt down the middle

Just now, Thorny said:

Even JT Miller barely qualified, then. 

Seems Dzingel is a bit of an in-betweener then, 50 points at 3C would seem to be a bit of a luxury. *Though hopefully one we are heading for, see: Eichel - Cozens - Mittelstadt down the middle

Yes, always looked at jt as a serviceable stopgap until Casey stepped up, who was great because he was so versatile and would be a great fit in ma y places in the top 9, like Hecht back in the day.

Dzingel might work the same way, I just don’t like the player as much, unless we get him on a three-year deal.

I think I like Haula better than Eakin, but I like both better than Dzingel, even without their  more attractive contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I believe they consider Kyle Turris as their fall back. They believe he’s the type of center that could thrive with Sam on his wing.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Big yikes

This doesn’t surprise me too much. He’s been on my radar after Turris put up 9 points in 10 games for Bots in Slovakia this spring and it was clear Nashville would be willing to dump him cheap.

He was awful this year, but would have intrigued me last summer. Unlike Dzingel, he’s been a legit 2C for a number of years. 

He’d come with a similar price tag - $6 million for five years.

@tom webster, I take it this is something you are hearing from someone close to the team?

@Randall Flagg does your reaction mean his fancy stats are terrible?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This doesn’t surprise me too much. He’s been on my radar after Turris put up 9 points in 10 games for Bots in Slovakia this spring and it was clear Nashville would be willing to dump him cheap.

He was awful this year, but would have intrigued me last summer. Unlike Dzingel, he’s been a legit 2C for a number of years. 

He’d come with a similar price tag - $6 million for five years.

@tom webster, I take it this is something you are hearing from someone close to the team?

@Randall Flagg does your reaction mean his fancy stats are terrible?

I have no idea what his fancy stats are, but you're right that he was awful this year, he's going to be 30 before October, and if he doesn't return to form it's another Kyle contract to have to maneuver around, and I don't put the likelihood of a turnaround particularly high

My reaction is also a part of my continued crusade for no half measures at 2C

But by all means, let's grab him, Perry and Simmonds and take a run at that 2011 cup ? 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Do you want your 3C making $5 million plus if he’s not a 2C in disguise?

2nd line centers score about 50-60 points.  JT Miller's 47 pts placed him 60th in center in the NHL last year according to NHL.com stats pages.   

Turris might be a very interesting acquisition especially if we can get Nashville to eat 2 mill a year. 

Yes and the belief is he’s the kind of center that needs someone to get him the puck. Good skater, good shot, not much of a playmaker.

It seems that while they don’t see Sam as a center, they do feel he can drive a line from the wing.

Still think they are aiming higher, but Turris is an option and would be a cheap acquisition in terms of assets.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Got any suggestions for a full measure 2C?

Wonder if we can get retention on him?

Time travelling with a video recorder and changing some minds

Crippling Tampa or Carolina with an offer sheet, being happy to go up to 12 million for either player

Being willing to soup up packages with pieces like Mittelstadt 

It's really important to me and I think the difference between being a playoff team and having another season like this past one

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a lot of Ryan Dzingel down the stretch and in the playoffs last year in Columnus. I’m wholly unimpressed. He was gifted 62% O-zone starts by Torts and still didn’t do too much. He was even a healthy scratch in the playoffs at one point. Absolutely disappeared in the games he did dress.

I hope Columbus doesn’t bring him back, and I definitely don’t want the Sabres to overspend in FA on him. 

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Yes and the belief is he’s the kind of center that needs someone to get him the puck. Good skater, good shot, not much of a playmaker.

It seems that while they don’t see Sam as a center, they do feel he can drive a line from the wing.

Still think they are aiming higher, but Turris is an option and would be a cheap acquisition in terms of assets.

This definitely makes sense. Can you give any information on the nature of your sources? Understandable if not. 

I do wonder how much NSH would be willing to retain, as it would lessen the blow

On 6/25/2019 at 10:38 AM, tom webster said:

Other then Cousins, what future wouldn’t you trade to be good now? We are in year 5 of Jack, the time to win is now.

Ya that’s a HARD pass on Turris and that contract unless Nashville eats like half of it.

If Turris ends up being our solution, it will further my simmering belief that the Sabres' analytics department is either really bad or wields close to zero influence in the organization. 

Just now, Derrico said:

Ya that’s a HARD pass on Turris and that contract unless Nashville eats like half of it.

Even then, it would have to be for like a 5th round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone have any intel on what happened to Turris last year?

He’d been scoring at a 50-60 point pace like clockwork for six straight years before that. Skill centres who can skate that well typically don’t usually drop off the face of the earth at 29. He’s got the kind of game that usually has a longer shelf life.

The thing I like about this is the idea that it’s a fallback. Sounds like there are still other moves out there that may still come to fruition, likely pending contract signings.

Edited by dudacek

38 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If Turris ends up being our solution, it will further my simmering belief that the Sabres' analytics department is either really bad or wields close to zero influence in the organization. 

Even then, it would have to be for like a 5th round pick. 

Even then Nashville better be giving us a first. If it took a first to get rid of Marleau it should take a first to get rid of Turris. Even then I’m probably not interested.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.