GDT 2/16/2020 Toronto @ Buffalo 7PM MSG WGR

woods-racer

Whenever the Sabres play and I'm at home on the computer, I like to check in on the opposing teams twitter followers or message boards for info and amusement....

For the last 10-15 minutes, the Leafs boards have erupted in blaming the officials.  Many comments about how the 'league is against them'.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Risto has skyrocketed his trade value this game. If that shift with his offensive zone check and then backcheck to save the goal wasn’t it, how about that play?

I'm hoping they don't trade him myself.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m watching The Hockey Night in Canada feed.  The game HQ is Quebec City.  There have been two great between period interviews.  Manon Rhéuame and Eric Lindros.  Manon just shines.  She’s an old hockey crush of mine.  Come to think of it, she’s my only hockey crush.  Moving on ...

I was never much of a Lindros fan.  Old school resentment toward a privileged kid telling an established league where he’d play, and all that.  Oft injured, if a great player, but never a truly generational, guy in my mind.  Snarly, cocky.  I always viewed his setbacks through the lens of karma.

The interview took place in Quebec City, during the broadcast.  He’s older, of course,  but still menacingly thick and powerful, except for ...

... his very humble demeanor.  He’s juxtaposed in the interview with a Canadian broadcasting woman,  She’s polished, informed, and has a television presence, a command.  No shock, of course, given her profession.  She went quickly to the heart of the matter.  She asked Eric what is it like, now, and what it was like, then, to be in Quebec City after that bitter post draft period and before his trade to Philadelphia.  There was no menacing  cockiness in his responses.  He was humble, fidgety, a little nervous, almost giggly.  He spoke of fans, family, Quebec and great misunderstanding.  He felt pain, and acknowledged that of others.  He talked a lot about his mom.  Lindros looked like your uncle who worked at the plant, with hands that could squash a  coconut, and who your mom called “the teddy bear”.

I am re-evaluating Eric Lindros, and I’m glad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.