Danny Gare Last Night

bob_sauve28

It was fun to have Gare back for awhile and see those old pics of him. I was at a game in 1980--first game I ever attended--where he scored his 51st goal of the season. It was right in front of me and was really cool. Later that year he got into a stick swinging incident with the Flyers which was pretty crazy. 

He was involved in one the most memorable events in Sabres lore when he scored the hat trick to get to 50 goals the last game of the season passing Rico. 

Anyone else have good or bad memories of Mr. Gare? 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Of all the Danny Gare moments, for some reason the one that came to me immediately was after he was traded to Detroit.  The Wings were playing in Buffalo.  A scrum started on the ice.  I didn’t catch who started it.  Gare was involved.  Playfair waded into the pile and grabbed Gare and pulled him out.  Gare turned and saw it was Playfair that had him and immediately turtled.  Was funny as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Of all the Danny Gare moments, for some reason the one that came to me immediately was after he was traded to Detroit.  The Wings were playing in Buffalo.  A scrum started on the ice.  I didn’t catch who started it.  Gare was involved.  Playfair waded into the pile and grabbed Gare and pulled him out.  Gare turned and saw it was Playfair that had him and immediately turtled.  Was funny as hell.

Smart move by Gare! 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It was fun to have Gare back for awhile and see those old pics of him. I was at a game in 1980--first game I ever attended--where he scored his 51st goal of the season. It was right in front of me and was really cool. Later that year he got into a stick swinging incident with the Flyers which was pretty crazy. 

He was involved in one the most memorable events in Sabres lore when he scored the hat trick to get to 50 goals the last game of the season passing Rico. 

I was at that game. It was incredible. Rico had so many great chances to score, just couldn't get it past the goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wasn't that the game were Rico shot into the EN and would have scored but Gare intercepted it along the way and put it in so he got 50 and Rico had 49? 

Gare was a fabulous player.  Lots of heart and tough as hell. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Wasn't that the game were Rico shot into the EN and would have scored but Gare intercepted it along the way and put it in so got 50 and Rico had 49? 

I've actually only heard the radio call so I don't know if that happened or not 

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I greatly enjoyed his period of commentary as well, including all the kidding he, RJ, and Rayzor were engaging in.

What Sabres fan doesn't love Danny Gare?  I had a large cardboard photograph cutout type of thing of him when I was a kid, kind of like a 3 dimensional trading card.  That lived on my dresser in my bedroom for several years.

When RJ said he was trying to remember the name of the big defenseman Danny fought in Philadelphia...and then Danny immediately said "Behn Wilson" I just laughed.

Ah, the good old days!  Hockey was so much more fun, entertaining, and compelling in Gare's era.

It's pretty damned lousy these days, especially with the Sabres.

Edited by Kruppstahl

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Smart move by Gare! 

Danny was tough as hell and a good fighter, but Larry is in a whole different weight division.  

Larry Playfair was a killer. 

Whenever I think of Larry, I think specifically of this fight.  Note how he lunges for O'Reilly (I always hated that punk) and misses!  Crashes into the boards.  LOL.  He then gets a hold of him and starts using him for punching bag practice.  

Larry's hands are gigantic.  One of my favorite Sabres of all time.  

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Danny was tough as hell and a good fighter, but Larry is in a whole different weight division.  

Whenever I think of Larry, I think specifically of this fight.  Note how he lunges for O'Reilly (I always hated that punk) and misses!  Crashes into the boards.  LOL.  He then gets a hold of him and starts using him for punching bag practice.  

Come to think of it, where has Playfair been this year? 

54 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Mine as well.  When my wife was pregnant with our son we used to see Playfair every Sunday at breakfast in a local restaurant.  He was a huge, intimidating man even after hockey.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Wasn't that the game were Rico shot into the EN and would have scored but Gare intercepted it along the way and put it in so he got 50 and Rico had 49? 

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

That did not happen. The funny thing about that game was everyone was trying to set Rico up and Gare just scored.

Correct.

There was a small sign up at the front of the oranges that night in 2 parts "RICO" "49".

When Gare got to 49 (having started at 47), the sign maker took the "RICO" down and replaced it with "GARE".

When Gare got to 50, the "49" came down and "50" went up in its stead.  Was not an empty netter.  Happened with ~6 minutes or so left.

Fun game to be at.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Number 27 was a true heavyweight and IMHO one of the best all-time! 

On another note, I really miss the ol' linemen like Scappanello, Finn and my personal favorite - John D'Amico!

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Correct.

There was a small sign up at the front of the oranges that night in 2 parts "RICO" "49".

When Gare got to 49 (having started at 47), the sign maker took the "RICO" down and replaced it with "GARE".

When Gare got to 50, the "49" came down and "50" went up in its stead.  Was not an empty netter.  Happened with ~6 minutes or so left.

Fun game to be at.

Yes. Those were great days to be a Sabre fan.  He had tons of talent and lots of characters on those 70’s teams. 

I remember this game but I know I saw Gare steal an EN goal from Martin once.  My youngest of 5 brothers was crying over it.  ? 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Number 27 was a true heavyweight and IMHO one of the best all-time! 

On another note, I really miss the ol' linemen like Scappanello, Finn and my personal favorite - John D'Amico!

Yes and yes. 

Playfair was awesome, true heavyweight, and great guy.  I saw that fight against O’Reilly, one tough customer, but Larry could take anyone in his prime.  That’s Finn and Scampy breaking it up.  

I miss the old linesmen too. John D’Amco, Ron Finn, Ray Scapinello   

Here is a story about Scampy and me. https://www.nhl.com/news/its-unanimous-scapinello-was-the-best/c-390387

Edited by Pimlach

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

That did not happen. The funny thing about that game was everyone was trying to set Rico up and Gare just scored.

True. I remember that now that you mention it. 

Gare was great. Totally turned that second line into a special 2 way unit. Big part of our success in that era. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.