Bogosian Signs a 1.3 Million Dollar Deal with Tampa

Brawndo

Until his contract is terminated, they can't just go nuts.  In fact, he could report tomorrow and they'd eat the money.  Before they make any move to use that cap space they need to make sure he can't suddenly show up in Rochester.

So, they almost have to terminate his contract.  Which really works out in Bogosian's favor... let's say a team will pay him $750k to fill in a 7th slot on a playoff run.  That wasn't going to be a trade a team would make given his current salary, but now that team can sign him straight away right?

So Bogosian might walk away from money, but he gets a shot on a playoff team.  In fact, it's quite possible that some team said they would sign him if the contract was terminated.

Possibilities....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe he and his agent thought someone would pick him up?  It probably wasn't a reasonable belief but such is life.

Maybe someone will pick him up *now* since he won't have a contract.  They could pay him a mil or two (annualized) instead of taking on his whole salary and cap.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Slightly harsh.  He is by all accounts a good guy.  He just got injured a lot.

I don’t think it’s harsh. I’m sure a lot of us work with a nice guy, who doesn’t do his job well, and calls in sick way more than he should. 

Bogo asked for a trade, it seems none was there. Bogo gets waived, nobody claims him. Now he can control his own ship, and we get that cap hit back. Seems to be in everyone’s best interests. 

Best case scenario - Leafs take him, make the playoffs, and we make the playoffs and face Bogo in round one. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I don’t think it’s harsh. I’m sure a lot of us work with a nice guy, who doesn’t do his job well, and calls in sick way more than he should. 

Bogo asked for a trade, it seems none was there. Bogo gets waived, nobody claims him. Now he can control his own ship, and we get that cap hit back. Seems to be in everyone’s best interests. 

Best case scenario - Leafs take him, make the playoffs, and we make the playoffs and face Bogo in round one. 

It was more about calling him a con artist and such.

Bogo most definitely feels like he can still play.    They tried like heck to trade him.    His agent requested they go the waive/non-report/suspend/contract-termination route so he could seek employment from another club this season and be eligible for the playoffs.   

Will be interesting to see if anybody picks him up, maybe on a playoff team as depth insurance, but I doubt he sees significant playing time unless there are injuries.   He wants the chance to show he can still play... which he feels he didn't get a fair shot in Buffalo.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Are there any stipulations on a player's status once their contract is terminated? Do they just immediately become a UFA (assuming they meet the other criteria)?

Assuming the player agrees to terminate his contract, he forgoes any remaining money owed to him and becomes a UFA.  

But he has to agree to it.

To me it simply seems that Bogosian doesn't recognize that his NHL days are likely over. It's gotta be tough when you've reached this point as a player that had made it the NHL as a 1st round pick. It doesn't look like anybody wants him, at the very least for that contract and quite possibly at any price in the NHL. He may very well be a Nice Guy, Great Teammate, etc....but in the end it's a moot point when you can't offer anything as a player  

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Cozens can’t play in Rochester next season.  Too young.  Unless the rules change.

I'm on record, for many years, about hating this rule, but thanks for reminding me!

14 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

To me it simply seems that Bogosian doesn't recognize that his NHL days are likely over. It's gotta be tough when you've reached this point as a player that had made it the NHL as a 1st round pick. It doesn't look like anybody wants him, at the very least for that contract and quite possibly at any price in the NHL. He may very well be a Nice Guy, Great Teammate, etc....but in the end it's a moot point when you can't offer anything as a player  

He'll be signed somewhere once his price drops.  He's still a good player.  He's just not worth the money he makes.

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm on record, for many years, about hating this rule, but thanks for reminding me!

He'll be signed somewhere once his price drops.  He's still a good player.  He's just not worth the money he makes.

He has had moments of "goodness" but overall an oft injured player who has been more of a pylon than a defenseman during his tenure with the Sabres.  he cannot be classified as Good.  Below replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well, I missed all the fun ... again.

It seems like @inkman and I can start a discussion as to who is now the most ruggedly handsome Sabre now that the former holder of that title is no more.

I'll get back to you on this.

They really have an ugly group of guys. Zemgus and ERod, Egads.  I guess Samson is taking the crown. Not really rugged but certainly handsome.  No more lustfully watching games with dreams of BOGO ragdolling me along the endboards. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

They really have an ugly group of guys. Zemgus and ERod, Egads.  I guess Samson is taking the crown. Not really rugged but certainly handsome.  No more lustfully watching games with dreams of BOGO ragdolling me along the endboards. 

I feel your pain, Inky.

I tend to agree with you on all points.  I was thinking Samson too, for now.  I will take a look at all the mugs in do course, though.

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Bogo will terminate contract and hope to get picked up as a depth d-man for playoffs for about 700K.

Agree. Except for the 700k part.

For two months of “depth duty” in the regular season,  and MAYBE being called upon (if he’s healthy) in the playoffs. I can see him getting much less than 700k. He may ask for more, but I don’t think he’ll get that much. I’ll predict 350-550K for such a short time frame and the fact that he’s just depth.

17 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

He has had moments of "goodness" but overall an oft injured player who has been more of a pylon than a defenseman during his tenure with the Sabres.  he cannot be classified as Good.  Below replacement. 

"Below replacement" at that price is obvious.

He'll get a contract.  He's 29.  He'll be fine.

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Agree. Except for the 700k part.

For two months of “depth duty” in the regular season,  and MAYBE being called upon (if he’s healthy) in the playoffs. I can see him getting much less than 700k. He may ask for more, but I don’t think he’ll get that much. I’ll predict 350-550K for such a short time frame and the fact that he’s just depth.

I had assumed that sweetlou annualized the price but I may be wrong.

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Dude, Samson has that alien face thing going on.

Risto is your Tiger Beat poster boy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

"Below replacement" at that price is obvious.

He'll get a contract.  He's 29.  He'll be fine.

I had assumed that sweetlou annualized the price but I may be wrong.

Dude, Samson has that alien face thing going on.

Risto is your Tiger Beat poster boy.

Risto is handsome, just not my style 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.