Bogosian Signs a 1.3 Million Dollar Deal with Tampa

Brawndo

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Bogo most definitely feels like he can still play.    They tried like heck to trade him.    His agent requested they go the waive/non-report/suspend/contract-termination route so he could seek employment from another club this season and be eligible for the playoffs.   

Will be interesting to see if anybody picks him up, maybe on a playoff team as depth insurance, but I doubt he sees significant playing time unless there are injuries.   He wants the chance to show he can still play... which he feels he didn't get a fair shot in Buffalo.

You got a source on this?

It's exactly what I speculated might happen and fits the way the process has unfolded so far and the fact no one is talking about it.

It could actually be a good financial investment for Bogo, who desperately needs a chance to show he is still an NHL regular to earn a good contract next year: the million dollars he loses now could turn a PTO in September into a multi-year offer in July. And he gets to pick and choose exactly where.

And is obviously a good move for the Sabres who get to free up the cap space to make a move this week.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:24 AM, Weave said:

I, for one, will miss Concept of Bogosian.  He had a particular set of talents that we could use.  

I wonder what went wrong.  My gut tells me his injuries at mid season every year were of the nagging variety that would have been handled differently if we were a team with hope.  I think he’s another that lost his love for the game as a result of the debacle that has been Sabres hockey for the last 7 seasons.  And now the combo of continued no hope and the diminishing skills after missing so much time has him on the outside looking in.

I hold no negative emotions over Bogo.  It should have worked out better than it did.

He's just not good at hockey. 

Edited by Thorny

On 2/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, dudacek said:

I’m saying Botterill mis-spent his assets on players he either didn’t need, or failed to flip.

It’s his job to build a cohesive team and he didn’t.

Everyone knew in July that we had too many defencemen and not enough good forwards.

Here we are in February and we no longer have too many defencemen, but we still don’t have enough good forwards.

Call it what you want, but to me that adds up to squandered assets.

This sounds a lot like me. 

But, like I was saying when you wanted to give Botterill a flying-colors pass for his cap management, we need to wait before passing judgement on this. He hasn't moved any of the good d-men yet. It's always been about a Risto trade. Until that happens, we won't know how he's done with managing the surplus defensive assets. Bogo, again, is a non-entity. We've moved Scandella, that's all that's really happened. The acquisitions of Miller, Jokiharju, and to a lesser extent Montour still allow a Risto (or Montour) move to be possible. Moving Risto was never possible because we had Bogo and Scandella. 

Your contention with how long he's taken to make that big move/time frame issues, I'm with you. 

This is literally what we did with Mitts (3C) and Tage (3/4 RW) last season and it was a disaster for both prospects and for the Sabres themselves. They were among the worst skaters in the league and didn't develop an inch at any point during the season, and both had to be sent down the FOLLOWING season

That is a ridiculous development path and hurt the big club as well

@Randall FlaggI agree with your overall sentiment, but in reality Casey was being counted on for "2C" production, which is even worse. Maybe not 2C by icetime, but 2C in the sense people normally use it: the team's second scoring-centre. 

We expect Dahlin and Jokiharju to be Keith and HJalmarsson going forward, but right now they are Miller and Pysyk.

@dudacekDahlin is definitely not those guys right now. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, Curt said:

People generally say nice things about him.  Hasn’t he been described as Eichel’s best friend on the team?

Yes, I think he is a victim of his contract.  If he was making $1M per year all these years, no one would care to speak ill of him.

I would have if he was suiting up. But it's always about who's playing him, not the guy himself. 

Edited by Thorny

On 2/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, dudacek said:

Related, has anyone else noticed how Botterill has slowly squandered our defence depth? If we don’t move Frolik by the deadline, Scandella and Bogosian together will have netted us a big, fat nothing.

If Montour or Risto goes for a centre we’re back to having a big hole to fill in our top four again.

They're not going. or at least I'd be shocked if they were. The starting 6 we have now is the starting 6 and it's not that terrible of a group, with additional young D men in the system.

If the Habs move Scandella for more than what JBot got we can bitch a little, but nobody wanted Bogo so that's that.  

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Well, these are real people who work together, so I would assume that before waiving him, they have a conversation.  Tell him that they are planning to waive him and then send him to Rochester.  If he had no intention of reporting to Rochester, which would lead to a suspension, you would think he would just tell them.  Instead of going through the hoopla, they could just terminate the contract.

This whole thing was likely agreed to by both parties in an amicable manner prior to placing him on initial waivers. 

The Sabres get rid of his K and cap hit, he avoids playing in the AHL (which he'd never do), and he gets a new chance to sign on with a playoff team looking to add veteran D7, 8 or 9 man depth at the deadline.

Only downside for Bogosian is he'll be signing his next K for something like league minimum, but it's the only way he's going to stay playing at the NHL level, or collecting an NHL pay check (even if at league minimum).

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Agree. Except for the 700k part.

For two months of “depth duty” in the regular season,  and MAYBE being called upon (if he’s healthy) in the playoffs. I can see him getting much less than 700k. He may ask for more, but I don’t think he’ll get that much. I’ll predict 350-550K for such a short time frame and the fact that he’s just depth.

I'm thinking sweetlou is referring to the NHL minimum annual salary there.  His take-home for a fraction of the season will be considerably less.

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The Sabres get rid of his K and cap hit, he avoids playing in the AHL (which he'd never do), and he gets a new chance to sign on with a playoff team looking to add veteran D7, 8 or 9 man depth at the deadline.

Only downside for Bogosian is he'll be signing his next K for something like league minimum, but it's the only way he's going to stay playing at the NHL level, or collecting an NHL pay check (even if at league minimum).

His "K"?  Is that some sort of leet speak?

52 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

I wonder if this is all Kabuki theatre, prearranged among Bogosian, his agent, and JBot?  If Bogosian's contract gets terminated prior to the deadline it works out pretty well for all parties.

How exactly does this work out for Bogo.  Even if he gets picked up for the season elsewhere it costs him about 1.2 mill in real $.  

He may view the remain 20 games as a tryout to earn a contract for next year or simply as an opportunity to play, but that assumes someone will even pick him up which isn’t a sure thing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Does this Bogo thing have anything to do with Skinner? Was there a message being sent that if you get paid big bucks and then basically mail it in, you may see an unhappy ending to your NHL career?

I don't think this has anything to do with Skinner.

Does this Bogo thing have anything to do with Skinner? Was there a message being sent that if you get paid big bucks and then basically mail it in, you may see an unhappy ending to your NHL career? 

Bogo has been mailing it in?

Also is the lesson you can bring negative value to the team for several years and continue getting paid your millions, but then the last 30 games of the last year of your contract, you will be waived?  So it’s a message to Skinner that he might get waived 7 years from now???

No.

If Skinner were to get waived / bought out this off-season, the Sabres would be on the hook for a $3MM cap hit each of the NEXT 14 SEASONS.

Botterill's not stupid enough to buy him out and Jeff certainly isn't dumb enough to walk away from $42-63MM.

Edited by Taro T

13 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well, I missed all the fun ... again.

It seems like @inkman and I can start a discussion as to who is now the most ruggedly handsome Sabre now that the former holder of that title is no more.

I'll get back to you on this.

Rugged? I think we're down to McCabe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How exactly does this work out for Bogo.  Even if he gets picked up for the season elsewhere it costs him about 1.2 mill in real $.  

He may view the remain 20 games as a tryout to earn a contract for next year or simply as an opportunity to play, but that assumes someone will even pick him up which isn’t a sure thing.

I think you answered your own question. ? Upthread pi2000 sounded like he knew (and has "connections"); Bogo did the math and he *should* have plenty of money in the bank, so losing out on ~$1.5M is worth the gamble that he'll end up on a playoff team as depth, something good will happen, and he'll have a contract next year rather than being retired. I give him credit for believing in himself, and I even hope it works out for him.

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I think you answered your own question. ? Upthread pi2000 sounded like he knew (and has "connections"); Bogo did the math and he *should* have plenty of money in the bank, so losing out on ~$1.5M is worth the gamble that he'll end up on a playoff team as depth, something good will happen, and he'll have a contract next year rather than being retired. I give him credit for believing in himself, and I even hope it works out for him.

It’s possible and betting 1.5 mill on himself is great, but I think he is done as an NHL player. To slow.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s possible and betting 1.5 mill on himself is great, but I think he is done as an NHL player. To slow.

But if he wants a shot at a contract next year he's better off trying to get signed by another team, maybe one with injuries that doesn't want to go into a playoff run with prospects.  If he can find a gig like that and gets the playing time and does well he might be able to get a contract next year from someone.  He won't be a $5M player anymore, but if he gets a 2-3 year $2M/year contract, his gamble will be worth it.

That scenario does not happen if he stays in Buffalo.

If Bogo signs with Boston and plays to the same level he did last year during an extended playoff run, he will earn himself a multi-year deal this summer.

Right now, he is looking at a PTO.

I think anyone with money in the bank and a level of personal self-confidence would bet the $1.4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.