Bogosian Signs a 1.3 Million Dollar Deal with Tampa

Brawndo

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

JBot, use that newly found cap space to make a deal. If you have to take a cap dump to get it done, get it done.

Bogo has a legit chance to win a Cup, I like the Bolts out of the east. He will not be a difference maker but the media will stick it to the Sabres whenever he dresses and makes a play.

Maybe he'll send ERod packing, but I doubt it. This upcoming trade deadline has me extremely concerned.

7 hours ago, miles said:

it seems to me that he shouldnt be allowed to sign elsewhere since he didnt fulfill his contract. 

not that i want him on the sabres, but i would think he shouldnt be allowed to sign elsewhere until the contract's original timing expires. 

what stops any player from signing a deal and then quitting on the team and just resigning elsewhere

How did he quit? Didn't the Sabres cut him?

Enough of this conservative nonsense. They are 6 points out, and gaining. Do what must be done to address the needs to enhance the push.

See what is before you, the here and now, it is the only thing that accounts. Making the playoffs while addressing both longer term AND immediate need settles the matter well in to the off season as we have a ton of UFA's and some assets we can replace with the off season.

You buy to make the push (a UFA or 2 as upgrades on those you ship out), you utilize the critically priced asset or 2 (RHD and 1st rd) to address both longer term AND a push.

Show the players you believe in them Botts, give them the tools to make a real run.

3 hours ago, nucci said:

How did he quit? Didn't the Sabres cut him?

It's in this thread, but I think the chronology went something like:

• Sabres waived Bogo from the active roster.
  • Sabres assigned him to Rochester.
  • Bogo did not report.
  • Sabres waived him again for purposes of contract termination.
  • Contract terminated.

With the relative speed with which it happened, it appears to have been a mutual agreement.  The Sabres get a roster spot and cap space, Bogo gets a chance to sign on with a new club with a lower cap hit than was possible even if the Sabres had retained salary.  It seems like there was no interest from other teams to actually give something up to get Bogo; at this point he's being signed as pre-playoff defensive depth.

Edited by Doohickie

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's in this thread, but I think the chronology went something like:

• Sabres waived Bogo from the active roster.
  • Sabres assigned him to Rochester.
  • Bogo did not report.
  • Sabres waived him again for purposes of contract termination.
  • Contract terminated.

With the relative speed with which it happened, it appears to have been a mutual agreement.  The Sabres get a roster spot and cap space, Bogo gets a chance to sign on with a new club with a lower cap hit than was possible even if the Sabres had retained salary.  It seems like there was no interest from other teams to actually give something up to get Bogo; at this point he's being signed as pre-playoff defensive depth.

I understand this...my reply to a poster saying any player under contract can just quit and sign with another team. That's not true and Bogo didn't quit. He was cut

26 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

You buy to make the push (a UFA or 2 as upgrades on those you ship out), you utilize the critically priced asset or 2 (RHD and 1st rd) to address both longer term AND a push.

Show the players you believe in them Botts, give them the tools to make a real run.

At this point, I think our UFAs are of move value to Krueger than they are to any other team.  Krueger's system seems to be taking hold with the players we've got. 

Shipping them out now for upgrades would mean expending assets that could be used to continue building later, and disrupt the chemistry that is finally forming.  We've tried to play through injuries earlier in the season with poor results.  If you move a Larry, Lazar or ERod (yes even ERod) for another player the Sabres would do well to break even, performance-wise. 

If JBot is going to make a significant move today, it will be something that will help us next year and beyond.  It's not going to be anything that will help us in this year's playoff race.  For instance, to get a real 2C they will probably have to give up Risto, Montour and/or McCabe which would have a major impact on our defensive corps.  The team can't gain anything without giving up something, and they don't have enough depth to give something up without missing a beat.

As well as they're playing now, they missed their opportunity to be buyers when they went through their mid-season malaise.  The future is not here yet.  The biggest endorsement JBot can make in this team is not to get them additional help, it's to stand pat and see what they can do with the team they've got.  Any significant upgrade for the future will doom this year's playoff push.

Edited by Doohickie

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

I understand this...my reply to a poster saying any player under contract can just quit and sign with another team. That's not true and Bogo didn't quit. He was cut

Yep.  Mutual agreement probably worked out between both sides before anything official happened.

Berglund, on the other hand, literally did quit and although he didn't, he could have signed with another team.  It took longer to terminate his contract though... no mutual consent.  I think the only consent was between Berglund and his own self.

39 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How?

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He and Colburn looked good failing to tie up one player behind the net, resulting in the goal.

And watching Tavares skate to the middle of the ice with a half hearted stick swing as Tavares Back Hand went in was a thing of beauty. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.