Bogosian Signs a 1.3 Million Dollar Deal with Tampa

Brawndo

From another forum ...
Sending him down, if they do send him down, lowers his cap hit from $5.143M to $4.068M, which means his daily cap hit goes from $27.6K to $21.9K (all of these numbers are rounded, by the way) for every day that he's actually assigned to the minors.

Of course any cap hits a team adds are pro-rated too, so it still would give them an extra $1M or so to work with.

All that said, there's no guarantee they assign him to the minors. Not that he'll get claimed on waivers, any team that wanted him would presumably only take him if the Sabres retained salary and/or took salary back.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Right.  But those are only allowed during the ordinary course buyout period (at the end of June) or during the 3rd to 5th day after the club's last arbitration award (which can only be exercised 3 times throughout the life of the CBA).  Fairly certain we are outside both of those windows.  ?

And we have heard of no team / league rules Bogosian has violated.  He's still on the 50 man reserve list unless somebody claims him or trades for him unless he simply wants to quit.  None of those have been reported as possibilities.

Ok. I didn’t realize they use the “termination of contract” terminology for what I’ve always identified as being released. When I hear termination I think of a Berglund situation where the contract was violated. 

So yeah, they can go that way if agreed upon, but the majority of the money still hits the cap (what’s the amount you can stash, something around 800 or 900k?).  If people need a recent example, it’s Kovalchuk in LA, but that one was a 35+ deal so it’s slightly different. That thing is hitting them for $6.5 million even next year. 

Edited by shrader

I don’t get this process of waiving and I hope someone can explain it to me. In the NHL, it seems it’s a precursor to sending a vet down to their AHL team. What if we don’t want to do this? Can’t we cut/release players like they do in the NFL, washing our hands completely (minus the cap implications), and allow them to sign wherever the heck they want?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We don’t know if he violated team rules.  However the contract can also be terminated at any time by mutual agreement, but only after waivers.

So, “waiving” needs to occur before terminating a contract? What if we don’t care about the last 1/3 of said contract (ie we’ll pay it, as long as he goes away)?

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

In order to terminate a contract there needs to be some sort of breach of contract or the player also needs to agree to terminate the deal after they have passed through unconditional waivers.  A player cannot just be "cut" like in the NFL.  If a player passes through waivers and is assigned to the A they can then do something like refuse assignment to the A which then allows the team to terminate their contract.  That doesn't often happen because players like Bogosian are making good money.  If nobody is willing to pick him up on waivers then it is likely that nobody is willing to pay him more than what he is already set to make were he to become an UFA so there is little financial incentive for a player to do that if they still intend to play in the NHL.  

The other option is a buyout but those have to happen in a set window over the summer I believe.

So, what do you do with them then? Let them sit in the press box? It seems to be they should be allowed to sit on their couch at home and collect their paycheck, unless they care about the game enough to look for an alternate employer who wants to play them. 

15 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t get this process of waiving and I hope someone can explain it to me. In the NHL, it seems it’s a precursor to sending a vet down to their AHL team. What if we don’t want to do this? Can’t we cut/release players like they do in the NFL, washing our hands completely (minus the cap implications), and allow them to sign wherever the heck they want?

Yeah, you have to waive a player (giving other teams an opportunity to pick them up) in order to send them to the AHL.

A player can’t be cut like in the NFL.  The team doesn’t have to play him, could send him down, could probably even tell him to not bother coming to work anymore, but the player is not free to sign with any other team, because they are still under contract with Buffalo.

The player can be bought out, which frees the player to sign with another team while still getting paid, but also stretches out their cap hit into future years.

Or the contract can be terminated if both player and team agree to it.  The player does not get paid in this case though, but is allowed to sign a new contract with another team.

Edited by Curt

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

Paging @TrueBlueGED, you can finally leave the bunker

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

At this point he's probably known that bunker longer than any other shelter in his life. It's home now and asking him to leave would be cruel

Ironically, I did move today. It also moved upon catching up on this news. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Ok. I didn’t realize they use the “termination of contract” terminology for what I’ve always identified as being released. When I hear termination I think of a Berglund situation where the contract was violated. 

So yeah, they can go that way if agreed upon, but the majority of the money still hits the cap (what’s the amount you can stash, something around 800 or 900k?).  If people need a recent example, it’s Kovalchuk in LA, but that one was a 35+ deal so it’s slightly different. That thing is hitting them for $6.5 million even next year. 

Pretty much any time the team releases a player, either with or without his consent, his contract is considered to be terminated.

Paragraph 13 of the SPC covers the cases where the team still owes him money (ordinary course buyouts & compliance buyouts both of which only occur during the summer).  Paragraph 14 of the SPC covers the cases where the club doesn't owe him money.  (The player violates terms of the contract, team/league rules, or quits (which violates team rules as he no longer is providing the team services).)

IF Bogosian were to agree to have his contract terminated (aka he quit(s)), then, yes, his contract goes away (~1/3 of a season's worth of his salary) and he's a FA.  But it is really difficult to see a way he agrees to that.  There would have to be an agreement between him and another team for him to play for them (which would presumably be negotiated while he's still a Sabre which would be considered tampering) for a significantly reduced salary should he clear waivers and quit to get his unconditional release.  This agreement would get looked at by the league AND presumably frowned upon for violating Article 26 (No Circumvention) AND would also have to have him considered not to be a FA that wasn't allowed to sign a contract after December 1.  (This last 1 might not be applicable, as it may only apply to group 2 FAs; it's late.)  Really doubt the league would let that stand due to Article 26.

And if it doesn't get Bogosian on another team, can't see any reason for him to agree to lose ~$1.8MM.

Considering, can't think of a single player that swapped teams this way, really don't see Bogosian agreeing to not be paid anymore.  And if he won't agree to it and he hasn't violated his contract, he can't be bought out until the summer (when he wouldn't be under contract anyway).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

So, “waiving” needs to occur before terminating a contract? What if we don’t care about the last 1/3 of said contract (ie we’ll pay it, as long as he goes away)?

Yes waive first, terminate second.  I don’t have any idea about $ settlements are possible, my guess is that they gave to pay him the entire amount to go away.

If nobody claims him he has to report to Rochester. If he refuses to report, then Sabres can terminate the contract. If he reports, they are on the hook for his salary minus the one million or whatever it is cap reduction for sending him down.

He can be a UFA if both parties agree to a termination (which can happen any time for any player, but nobody does that as why would you give away your money as a player?)

Bruins sent Backes down but told him he didn't have to report to Providence, which the Sabres could do if they chose but they still have to pay him. 

My guess is JBot tried everything possible to trade him and nobody wanted him. Keeping him around under that circumstance isn't good for the team dynamics if you are trying to rebuild the culture. Better he's not around, not unlike Moulson's situation before.

Somebody might give Bogo a professional tryout next year if he passes physicals, but otherwise he's done.

I'm betting that a team snatches him up today and puts him in their AHL team for a month for conditioning then he gets called up for a few games at the end of the season while rotating out starters for some rest before the playoffs.

He's then the 7th d for the start of the playoffs.

This is the best Bogo can hope for and I'm betting some GM somewhere offered that up to Bogo's agent. 

Buffalo will get a conditional 4th round pick if the club re-signs him to a contract. 

15 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I'm betting that a team snatches him up today and puts him in their AHL team for a month for conditioning then he gets called up for a few games at the end of the season while rotating out starters for some rest before the playoffs.

He's then the 7th d for the start of the playoffs.

This is the best Bogo can hope for and I'm betting some GM somewhere offered that up to Bogo's agent. 

Buffalo will get a conditional 4th round pick if the club re-signs him to a contract. 

Even though the actual salary isn’t much for the rest of the season, his 5 mil. Cap hit will prevent him from getting picked up. 
So around noon today we’ll hear what the next stage is.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Even though the actual salary isn’t much for the rest of the season, his 5 mil. Cap hit will prevent him from getting picked up. 
So around noon today we’ll hear what the next stage is.

This.

Either way, something is going to happen today. Do I dare say it, can we categorize this as "Botterill did a thing"? ?

20 hours ago, Weave said:

I, for one, will miss Concept of Bogosian.  He had a particular set of talents that we could use.  

20 hours ago, Weave said:

I hold no negative emotions over Bogo.  It should have worked out better than it did

This is where I am on this as well.

So necessary turnover begins again.

I hope for better days when we can get off this tread mill of mediocrity.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.