GDT Blue Jackets at Sabres 2/13/20, 7pm MSG, WGR

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Olofsson and Okposo may return to the lineup tonight 

So Wilson goes back to Rochester.  They would only need to open up that one roster slot, but who else comes out of the lineup?  Sheary got one the other day so he at least gets a 1 game free pass.  Rodrigues seems like an option, but he's one of the very limited options to center a line.

59 minutes ago, shrader said:

So Wilson goes back to Rochester.  They would only need to open up that one roster slot, but who else comes out of the lineup?  Sheary got one the other day so he at least gets a 1 game free pass.  Rodrigues seems like an option, but he's one of the very limited options to center a line.

As you mentioned, Okposo takes his spot back from Wilson.

Doubt Olofsson plays tonight, but if he does, he bumps Vesey out (obviously). The question becomes, who does Vesey bump?

He doesn't play C, and Krueger had a lot of good things to say about Lazar playing with Johansson, so it's unlikely those 2 get broken up and if they don't then there are only 3 C's not counting Rodrigues, so Rodrigues likely stays in the lineup.  Which means 1 of Sheary (who was on the 2nd line and scored a goal and had 3 scoring chances), Girgensons (who has been a stalwart on the checking line primary PK pairing and is 4th in GS), Frolik (who was recently traded for and is Lazar's partner on the PK), or Skinner (0 goals in last too many to count games, worked his way to the 4th line) goes assuming Vesey doesn't go from 10 minutes in the 3rd 2 games ago to benched.

The safe bet is Frolik.  It could be Skinner.  Still expecting they give Olofsson a couple more days to get ready.

• Like (+1) 1

2000's night eh? 2000-2001 to 2009-2010? 

I only watched from 2005-2006 to 2009-2010. I'd rank those seasons as follows:
2005-2006
2006-2007
2009-2010
2008-2009
2007-2008

I suspect that is pretty uniform among all fans lol

Not sure where any of the four early seasons fit in there. 

That 2009-2010 season was pretty dang fun. Myers Calder, Miller Vezina, Miller Olympic MVP. Tallinder had an excellent season. Hecht was amazing that year. I believe that was the year Connolly had something like a 17 game point streak. Tim Kennedy, fan favorite!

Vanek - Roy - Pominville
MacArthur - Connolly - Stafford
Kennedy - Gaustad - Hecht
Kaleta - Ellis - Grier
Appearances from Ennis, Gerbe, Torres trade deadline

Tallinder - Myers
Lydman - Montador
Sekera - Rivet
Butler

Miller
Lalime

That team also started out 8-1-1. They got to 20-9-2 and 28-11-4, before a slump where they won just 3 of 14. 10-3-1 just after that in March helped seal the division. Lots of 7-1, 6-2 type beatdowns that year. We blew out Tampa several times.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

2005-2006
2006-2007
2009-2010
2008-2009
2007-2008

That 2009-2010 season was pretty dang fun. Myers Calder, Miller Vezina, Miller Olympic MVP. Tallinder had an excellent season. Hecht was amazing that year. I believe that was the year Connolly had something like a 17 game point streak. Tim Kennedy, fan favorite!

Vanek - Roy - Pominville
Kennedy - Gaustad - Grier
Kaleta - Ellis - Mair 

Tallinder - Myers
Lydman - Montador
Sekera - Rivet
Butler

Miller
Lalime

That team also started out 8-1-1. They got to 20-9-2 and 28-11-4, before a slump where they won just 3 of 14. 10-3-1 just after that in March helped seal the division. Lots of 7-1, 6-2 type beatdowns that year. We blew out Tampa several times.

The 2000-2001 squad was within a fluke deflection leading to a Lemieux goal away from playing Colorado for the SC.  (Yes, they still had to beat Joisey, but Joisey couldn't match up at all w/ that Sabres team.) They then were a "Sternly warned throwing the puck out of play" away or a Gilmour not quitting in OT long before a bad goal OT winning goal away from playing the Avs.

Add a well rested Peca back in December to that roster like they should've had the crooks not been in early stages of having their house of cards collapse and it isn't even that close.

Sabres w/ Hasek would've beat the Avs (they'd won in OT in Denver w/ Biron between the pipes). Who knows how the rest of the decade shapes up had the crooks signed Peca or at least had they let Regier get fair value for him (Iginla anyone?); but Hasek doesn't end up a Wing as he either retires after the '01 Cup win or he stays in Buffalo until he gets tired of winning or gets pissed off when the crooks start selling off players ala the Buffalo Braves to try to keep Adelphia afloat long enough for them to avoid jail.

Interesting 'what if.'

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The 2000-2001 squad was within a fluke deflection leading to a Lemieux goal away from playing Colorado for the SC.  (Yes, they still had to beat Joisey, but Joisey couldn't match up at all w/ that Sabres team.) They then were a "Sternly warned throwing the puck out of play" away or a Gilmour not quitting in OT long before a bad goal OT winning goal away from playing the Avs.

Add a well rested Peca back in December to that roster like they should've had the crooks not been in early stages of having their house of cards collapse and it isn't even that close.

Sabres w/ Hasek would've beat the Avs (they'd won in OT in Denver w/ Biron between the pipes). Who knows how the rest of the decade shapes up had the crooks signed Peca or at least had they let Regier get fair value for him (Iginla anyone?); but Hasek doesn't end up a Wing as he either retires after the '01 Cup win or he stays in Buffalo until he gets tired of winning or gets pissed off when the crooks start selling off players ala the Buffalo Braves to try to keep Adelphia afloat long enough for them to avoid jail.

Interesting 'what if.'

I associate that team with the 90s for whatever reason, so I hadn't thought of them when reading this.  One thing you left out was the 8-0 massacre to eliminate Philly in the first round.  What Sabre fan doesn't love something like that?

But man, that Pittsburgh series is way up there on the list of painful results.  Down 2 games to 0, storm back to win the next 3, then lose the last 2 in OT.  And then you mix in that it was the end of the Hasek era and the whole thing just stings.  We had our brief run a few years later, but it really was the start of the darkness around these parts.

And on a side note, the recently deceased Vlad Tsyplakov was on that team.  I hope they acknowledge him, even if they already did back when he died.

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

After ROR, Botts will never come out on top of a trade. He got fleeced and everyone knows he is in over his head. He really needs to be replaced ASAP. 

How did he get fleeced? He got rid of a player everyone wanted gone because he was sad and Botts got the guy he coveted in Tage! St Louis may have won the cup, but they won't have Tage on their roster.....

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

After ROR, Botts will never come out on top of a trade. He got fleeced and everyone knows he is in over his head. He really needs to be replaced ASAP. 

The hyperbole around this trade has gotten to the point of absurdity.  Yeah, he can never come out ahead on a trade ever after making that deal.  If only he had pulled the trigger on another deal 32 days later.  Or some other deal roughly one year later.

He got Skinner in the same way st Louis got ROR. 

Both situations were a win for the receiving team, sadly we now are paying 9 million to a guy that just isn't really good right now for whatever reason ?

I still think he can't identify talent and that is a huge faux Pas

So anyways, we won tonight 4-1 and Victor gets the first one, this is followed by a 5 game regulation winless streak 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

2005-2006
2006-2007
2009-2010
2008-2009
2007-2008

Vanek - Roy - Pominville
Kennedy - Gaustad - Hecht
Kaleta - Ellis - Grier

Tallinder - Myers
Lydman - Montador
Sekera - Rivet
Butler

Miller
Lalime

I agree about he 2005-2006 season. I know some consider No Goal the hardest loss to deal with in Sabres history, not for me. That Sabres team had Hasek riding them, I think we all knew Dallas was the better team when being brutally honest with ourselves about it. The loss to Carolina in Game 7 still stings today. Jeff Jilsson and the staff infection still haunt me as a fan. Not sure about all of you, but I really felt that Sabres team was the one that was going to deliver the Cup to Buffalo, without hesitation, I felt like that one was stolen from us by Carolina.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I agree about he 2005-2006 season. I know some consider No Goal the hardest loss to deal with in Sabres history, not for me. That Sabres team had Hasek riding them, I think we all knew Dallas was the better team when being brutally honest with ourselves about it. The loss to Carolina in Game 7 still stings today. Jeff Jilsson and the staff infection still haunt me as a fan. Not sure about all of you, but I really felt that Sabres team was the one that was going to deliver the Cup to Buffalo, without hesitation, I felt like that one was stolen from us by Carolina.

Every Sabres fan living and dead agrees with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Interesting 'what if.'

Or if Hasek had stopped that shot by Kaspariatis. Horrible moment! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.