Jay Bouwmeester Collapses on Bench

GASabresIUFAN

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/bouwmeester-hospitalized-but-alert-after-suffering-cardiac-episode-and-collapsing/article_e121798d-f74e-57dc-8180-477dd4518e43.html

Jay apparently is OK.  Similar incidents ended the careers of Rich Peverly and Jiri Fischer.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

17 years in the league... nothing to sneeze at.

Professional level sports puts far more stress on a human body than it was probably built to take, and in some cases you see something like this.  I read a remark that if this had happened in his hotel room, he wouldn't have made it, but I don't think his body would be stressed to the point that it would have triggered an event.

Boumeester is 5 years older than Kyle and has a Stanley Cup ring.  In his shoes, I hang them up.

I think there's a difference in the type of life-threatening event too.  From healthy to spontaneous cardiac arrest vs. reaction to a treatment following a concussion.  I'm not saying Kyle *shouldn't* hang them up, but I think his situation is different.  I think Kyle's primary concern at this point is early dementia/other symptoms from the concussions as he gets older, and each concussion will make things incrementally worse.  But the concern with playing is more about what happens in his later years, and it's easier for him to discount them. 

For Boumeester, the concern is dying at any moment if he continues to play.  It's much more immediate danger.  Unless they find a definite, treatable cause for his episode, I doubt he will be cleared to play again.

Coming from a medical perspective, I'm curious what caused the syncope and collapse. The differential is very large and can be anything from dehydration to cardiac arrest, and anything in between. 

I am glad he's well, but I believe his retirement is most like looming, he's had a hell of a career, no point in continuing the risk if it was something more along the serious side. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Coming from a medical perspective, I'm curious what caused the syncope and collapse. The differential is very large and can be anything from dehydration to cardiac arrest, and anything in between. 

I am glad he's well, but I believe his retirement is most like looming, he's had a hell of a career, no point in continuing the risk if it was something more along the serious side. 

This story lead to a couple of us friends being reminded how a mutual friend that was in great shape and just finished a winter triathlon almost died the same way from cardiac arrest due to dehydration.

What saved his life as with Bouwmeester was it happened in a public place and help was almost immediate. 

A little water goes a long way.

4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

This story lead to a couple of us friends being reminded how a mutual friend that was in great shape and just finished a winter triathlon almost died the same way from cardiac arrest due to dehydration.

What saved his life as with Bouwmeester was it happened in a public place and help was almost immediate. 

A little water goes a long way.

I have always read that they should be given sugar or something with easily absorbed sugar that can be turned into glucose quickly as well

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I have always read that they should be given sugar or something with easily absorbed sugar that can be turned into glucose quickly as well

For years after a good race I always slowly drank one of those big 32 ounce bottles of Gatorade on the way home. Just always thought it made me feel better than just water.

Now I know it wasn't just my mind, my body really was thanking me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.