Changes to the Upcoming CHL-NHL Agreement?

Brawndo

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'd rather the CHL doesn't get special treatment, which is what it's getting now. Sam Reinhart should have played his draft year in the AHL. Dylan Cozens should have(/should have had) the option of playing this year and next year in the AHL.

IMHO

But I agree the the rules should be uniform for all players.

The CHL doesn't get special treatment though.  If anything, they get to keep their players for the shortest amount of time between the three main sources (CHL, NCAA, europe).  But there really is no way around that.  It's next to impossible to treat all three the same due to the different rules within each organization.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

The CHL doesn't get special treatment though.  If anything, they get to keep their players for the shortest amount of time between the three main sources (CHL, NCAA, europe).  But there really is no way around that.  It's next to impossible to treat all three the same due to the different rules within each organization.

They do get special treatment in the sense that their players are barred from playing in the AHL until age 20.  Something that limits the options of playing options for their players and helping them retain some of their best players for longer, which is a financial benefit for the CHL.  This restriction isn’t placed on players from the NCAA or Euro leagues.

Any changes will come down to money.  Ie. what is the NHL willing to pay the CHL for a handful of players to be removed from that league.

I think it would be workable if the players affected were limited to 1st round picks only, and only one player per team in any given year.  For example, Cozens would be affected by this for two seasons (I think).  If the Sabres chose to put Cozens in the AHL that would mean if he is in the AHL again next season Buffalo wouldn't be able to move another player form the CHL to the AHL. Cozens already fills that 1 player in any given year spot.

Yes, a CHL team could lose multiple players this way in a given season.  But how often would that be likely to occur?

14 hours ago, Curt said:

They do get special treatment in the sense that their players are barred from playing in the AHL until age 20.  Something that limits the options of playing options for their players and helping them retain some of their best players for longer, which is a financial benefit for the CHL.  This restriction isn’t placed on players from the NCAA or Euro leagues.

I realize we're getting into a semantics game here, but different contracts (transfer agreements) negotiated with separate entities, I'm not willing to call each of them special treatment.

22 hours ago, Weave said:

Any changes will come down to money.  Ie. what is the NHL willing to pay the CHL for a handful of players to be removed from that league.

I think it would be workable if the players affected were limited to 1st round picks only, and only one player per team in any given year.  For example, Cozens would be affected by this for two seasons (I think).  If the Sabres chose to put Cozens in the AHL that would mean if he is in the AHL again next season Buffalo wouldn't be able to move another player form the CHL to the AHL. Cozens already fills that 1 player in any given year spot.

Yes, a CHL team could lose multiple players this way in a given season.  But how often would that be likely to occur?

The point is, it will be their best (read: biggest revenue-generating) players. It's like saying, "we're only taking one player out of the NHL" ...who happens to be Wayne Gretzky.

The NHL has all of the leverage. I maintain the only reason the agreement is what it is now is because Canadian GM's want to preserve the CHL's relevancy as a cultural institution, and help bolster it financially.

I find that most of the junior players are skinny and not physically ready for the man’s game AKA professional hockey. Most of them would be better served to remain amongst their peers at 18-20 years old. If a guy dominates the junior league at 19 his confidence is high and he should have added some muscle that will aid in moving up a level.

As a CHL STH I would love to see the best U20 players but this will never happen. It is still neat to have seen many NHL stars playing in small city rinks as teenagers.

I think the AHL should be a developmental league for men and not loaded with teenagers. Elite talent that has nothing to prove at a lower level should be an option.

This has nothing to do with the CHL but I watch Jack Hughes play and think he would have been better served to play in the NCAA this year. Loads of talent but he is puny and pushed off of the puck by a strong gust of wind. 1st overall picks usually play right away but this kid could have dominated the NCAA, WJHC and put up some solid numbers next season. A lot of kids can benefit from one more year of “amateur” hockey.

I wonder if another option would be allowing players to move freely between the CHL and NHL.  Players can be assigned to the CHL, but say after 20 games they would be allowed to be called up if the NHL Club as easily as a player is called up from the AHL. 

The caveat would be the player has to be in his D+2 Year and his team would have to pay his club a transfer fee at the beginning of the season if they decided to use this option 

Each feeder league has its own deal with the NHL. These things get renegotiated every so often. Does the CHL get favourable treatment? Maybe, but keep in mind it has fed the most players to the NHL over the years. Many of those players have become coaches, executives, league employees and even an owner (Mario). Of course they will have some pull.

The NHL has most of the leverage and could turn the CHL into a league of 16 and 17 year olds if it wanted to. I don’t believe big changes will happen but they could introduce an exceptional player clause to move elite 19 year olds to the AHL. The player and the parent club can benefit from this in some cases. As I said in a previous post, a guy needs to have nothing left to gain from the CHL in order to move up.

The CHL would squawk but they would not push back too hard as they know they are a feeder league, and it’s not just the players who want to make the NHL. Managers and coaches may have ambition as well.

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if another option would be allowing players to move freely between the CHL and NHL.  Players can be assigned to the CHL, but say after 20 games they would be allowed to be called up if the NHL Club as easily as a player is called up from the AHL. 

The caveat would be the player has to be in his D+2 Year and his team would have to pay his club a transfer fee at the beginning of the season if they decided to use this option 

This one will never happen.  Just imagine being a CHL team and having your best player called up in the middle of an intense playoff run.  At least when you lose someone at the start of the season, you have time to build in backup plans.  Sure, this exact scenario could happen today with an emergency recall, but those require some crazy and rare circumstances and are by definition short-term.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It would be better if the NHL clubs owned the chl teams. Make it a true youth team of the organization like soccer has

That’s how it was in the 50’s and 60’s. You signed a card at a young age and belonged to that organization for life. They would assign you to one of their junior teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.