Official NHL to Play in the Olympics in 2022

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Official NHL to Play in the Olympics in 2022

The golden goal was great but Salt Lake might be my favourite international hockey moment. Like I said, Canada was "shook" after Nagano and winning in Salt Lake seemed very important. Always means more for Canada coming off a loss. And the gold medal game was a classic. Bob Cole's call on Sakic's goal always gets me.

Edited by Thorny

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yep. Salt Lake gold medal winner.

So while not a Sabre at the time, as far as I know he's the only one to ever even go on to play for Canada at the Olympics after leaving (or before coming)

Edit: No - Robyn Regehr did too

Eric Staal

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Have the Sabres ever had a player on the Canadian olympic roster?

I remember that Dave Hannan took the year off in 1992 so that he could play in the Olympics for Canada.  He played some games for the Sabres to start the 91-92 season and then took the time off.  I think he needed to take the season off just because they were not allowing pros to play at that time.  I remember being really impressed that he was that committed to step away from the NHL for a period of time just so that he could play in the Olympics.

I know maybe that does not technically count (because it was before pros were technically allowed to go) but he did continue playing for the Sabres for four more years following. 

He got a silver metal that year 

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Digger said:

I remember that Dave Hannan took the year off in 1992 so that he could play in the Olympics for Canada.  He played some games for the Sabres to start the 91-92 season and then took the time off.  I think he needed to take the season off just because they were not allowing pros to play at that time.  I remember being really impressed that he was that committed to step away from the NHL for a period of time just so that he could play in the Olympics.

I know maybe that does not technically count (because it was before pros were technically allowed to go) but he did continue playing for the Sabres for four more years following. 

Excellent. So he'd be the one then, though with an obvious asterisk. 

His OT goal is one of my best Sabres memories as a kid

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not going to go on another rampage, but the Olympics should be for amatuers only.

I will not say another word on what I really hope will happen and what I think should happen.  If I do this post will be moved into Eleven's sandbox, at least.

What's your definition of amateurs?  Obviously NHL players make millions, AHL players are paid well, Junior players make money for expenses, Pro leagues in Europe.  The guidelines for only amateurs is pretty gray to me.  We already have a yearly Junior tournament with the best players under 20 - WJC which might be the closest a best in the world amateur competition.

As an example look at the summer Olympics with the 100m race.  Those guys are paid pretty well with endorsements and as far as I'm concerned they should be because they have set their life aside to only train and become the best in the world.  

If you look back at what Dave Hannan did (stepping away from the NHL for a period of time), does that meet your criteria?

I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts on who would qualify as an amateur.

1 minute ago, Digger said:

What's your definition of amateurs?  Obviously NHL players make millions, AHL players are paid well, Junior players make money for expenses, Pro leagues in Europe.  The guidelines for only amateurs is pretty gray to me.  We already have a yearly Junior tournament with the best players under 20 - WJC which might be the closest a best in the world amateur competition.

As an example look at the summer Olympics with the 100m race.  Those guys are paid pretty well with endorsements and as far as I'm concerned they should be because they have set their life aside to only train and become the best in the world.  

If you look back at what Dave Hannan did (stepping away from the NHL for a period of time), does that meet your criteria?

I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts on who would qualify as an amateur.

Any one that does not make a living at whatever sport they are playing where ever thay play it.  Endorsements are fine.  Living expenses are fine.  No age limit, like WJC.  I love(d) Dave Hannan, but I would not have allowed him to do what he did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.