Official NHL to Play in the Olympics in 2022

Brawndo

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It does not matter that the Soviets cheated by sending 'professional' hockey players to every Olympics.  They did not win the gold every time.

That is a odd take. They won 7 out of 9 Olympic golds and something like 20 out of 37 world championship golds

So, who on the current roster (or in the org) goes to the Olympics? Are there qualifiers to even get there in the first place?

SWE - Dahlin, Olofsson (prob depends on how he does this year) 

FIN - UPL, Jokiharju

LAT - Zemgus 

GER - Peterka (Long shot?)

Don't really know who else tbh

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

So, who on the current roster (or in the org) goes to the Olympics? Are there qualifiers to even get there in the first place?

FIN - UPL, Jokiharju

LAT - Zemgus 

Not a big list.  Power, maybe.

The only qualifiers, as far as I know are having sponsors (usually governments) for the teams.

5 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

That is a odd take. They won 7 out of 9 Olympic golds and something like 20 out of 37 world championship golds

My main point was the just because they secretly sent 'professionals' back in the day I don't think it should be openly done now.  It should be reserved for amateurs.  Like the 1980 US team that beat the Soviet pros and then Finland in the final round robin to secure the gold medal.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

My main point was the just because they secretly sent 'professionals' back in the day I don't think it should be openly done now.  It should be reserved for amateurs.  Like the 1980 US team that beat the Soviet pros and then Finland in the final round robin to secure the gold medal.

The thing that stunk about the "dream team" and all the other pros flooding the Olympics.  The Iron Curtain fell in '89, so except for a few holdouts (Cuba, China, etc.) the '92 Games could've gone back to the roots of the program and have it be the best amateurs in the world across the board.  But instead the Western nations turned tables and started bringing their pros in just as the Eastern professional soldiers could've been turned away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:27 AM, steveoath said:

FIN - UPL, Jokiharju

LAT - Zemgus 

Can't see UPL being there. Eichel and Risto definitely, but ya. 

Reinhart won't be at the Olympics but should continue his reign as the new Ryan Smyth by appearing in every World Championships for Canada

23 hours ago, Taro T said:

The thing that stunk about the "dream team" and all the other pros flooding the Olympics.  The Iron Curtain fell in '89, so except for a few holdouts (Cuba, China, etc.) the '92 Games could've gone back to the roots of the program and have it be the best amateurs in the world across the board.  But instead the Western nations turned tables and started bringing their pros in just as the Eastern professional soldiers could've been turned away. 

As long as other organized world tournaments look like that gong show recent World Cup, I'm all for NHL participation in the Olympics

Edited by Thorny

Zemgus and Latvia advance to the Olympics! Didn't realise he was back playing.

The groups are, well, interesting.

Pool A USA, Canada, Germany and China.

Pool B Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Denmark.

Pool C Finland, Sweden, Slovakia and Latvia.

Edited by steveoath

On 8/31/2021 at 7:05 PM, steveoath said:

Zemgus and Latvia advance to the Olympics! Didn't realise he was back playing.

The groups are, well, interesting.

Pool A USA, Canada, Germany and China.

Pool B Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Denmark.

Pool C Finland, Sweden, Slovakia and Latvia.

I'm glad Zemgus is not only playing again, but got a chance to play some competitive hockey over the summer.  We need him to be healthy and playing at a high level to eat minutes against other teams top lines this season.

Also, I would NOT want to be China playing against the US and Canada in that group.  They are going to have a rough go of it.

On a separate note, a few years ago I was flipping through the channels in my hotel room in China and came across their version of Slapshot.  The two main characters had the numbers 99 and 66 and the skating was comical.  I had no idea what they were saying but it had me laughing out loud for a solid 20 minutes.  If I can find my phone with the video I took of it I'll post it on here at some point

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.